if you dont play it and cant watch onepocket

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a poster in another thread in a response to my post about onepocket said
"Nooooo... That’s like saying eventually you will enjoy watching paint dry lol "
i say to those who have similar feelings about onepocket
its probably because you dont understand it
and admire the intricacies of the game,
a well played safety or a pocket speed bank that just dribbles into the pocket or carom
or understanding how one player is out thinking the other
are all things of beauty and immense enjoyment to me........:)
but i guess there is chocolate and vanilla for reasons......:thumbup:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i get the same response to my carom vids,
the finer, more technical things will always appeal to a very small crowd of enthusiasts , things that are easy, will always appeal to a greater crowd.

goes for beer, music, everything

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looooooove one pocket... that being said … I hate watching lower level players (of which I am one) play the game. I only watch the Pros play one pocket so I can learn more about the game.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I looooooove one pocket... that being said … I hate watching lower level players (of which I am one) play the game. I only watch the Pros play one pocket so I can learn more about the game.

same.
but that goes for any game for me, i only want to watch pros playing top notch

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If it helps you to believe that there is something inferior in my make-up that keeps me from enjoying the game, feel free to think that. Take it as an early Christmas present to you. I'm not sure what else you want.

You're welcome.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching 9-ball with the 1 on the spot is like watching someone lift weights. It only seems tough to the person doing it.

Watching high level one pocket is a constant learning opportunity. The shot and strategy complexity is dramatically higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I think one pocket is incredible. The most exciting game to play for sure. There’s always something new and you are actively playing your opponent. Shot selection depends on the ball count but also on your opponent and what you think he can handle and how he will respond. You get a lot of feedback on how they’re feeling/playing since they are often at the table. Also the run outs in one pocket are sick. You have to take a tortured path to run 6-7-8 balls into a single pocket.

Only defending against one pocket can allow you to safely take on low percentage banks and other cool shots (when the table is right). It’s just a cool game. I love watching it too most of the time. Especially the name brand pros. But I admit it can be boring. Something I’ve noticed is that really good pool players, but not pros, tend to play a more boring game lol. This is just from watching a few tournaments on POV pool. That monthly hard times or whatever it is. I may just catch a lot of the bad matches but it seems like those guys just play real conservative and end up with these up-table games or a giant cluster around one guy’s side pocket.

So if a 1P newbie came across an up table game as their first exposure I imagine it would ruin the idea for them for years if not life, if no one ever spent the time to change their mind or show them the true majesty of the game. Once you’re into it you can sometimes appreciate the wedge and all the intricate moving but

Play 1P to win, not to avoid loosing.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I am going to have to admit my addiction to one pocket.
I am still learning and taking my beatings, but, I have some really good players to learn from and that is HUGE.
It is the chess of pool IMO. When I first began I was very very very frustrated!! Putting the time in has helped, still have a long way to go. I appreciate all the guys who have been putting their patience on the line teaching me, much respect to all of you!

Trent from Toledo

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I think a lot of players are almost totally offensive minded and can't adapt to or appreciate a well played one pocket shot were you don't make a ball.
Love the game and play it every day.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just think the game is boring.

Watching two players that have a weak understanding of the game, or players that are too conservative, is boring I admit.

But when a guy is trapped (opponent needs one or two balls and has rolled one very near his pocket, and at the same time has hidden the cb in a mess of balls), it appears hopeless for the shooter to win from there, but then the shooter banks a two railer with low inside and draws the cb 3ft back to his opponent's pocket to steal the ball his opponent had set the trap with, making that ball and running 5 more for the win....that's pretty exciting.

If you're playing or watching players that continually leave the cb on the foot rail because that's their best and safest shot, it gets very boring very quickly. It's a game that without some creativity and imagination it's not vert thrilling to watch.

Not every shot can be a crowd pleasing work of wonder, but if the players have a few of these shots in their bag, and knows how to move the balls and set traps and keep the opponent pinched throughout the game, it makes for incredible action that is anything but boring.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right!

a poster in another thread in a response to my post about onepocket said
"Nooooo... That’s like saying eventually you will enjoy watching paint dry lol "
i say to those who have similar feelings about onepocket
its probably because you dont understand it
and admire the intricacies of the game,
a well played safety or a pocket speed bank that just dribbles into the pocket or carom
or understanding how one player is out thinking the other
are all things of beauty and immense enjoyment to me........:)
but i guess there is chocolate and vanilla for reasons......:thumbup:

If you have to explain the game of Chess to someone over and over, it probably better to let them stick with checkers. I just read a number of post complaining about the overly slow play at the world 9 ball championship the Gorst won, so any game can be slow.

If you are a gambler another beautiful aspect of the game is that it is the only game played where you know you'll get a shot, a shot every game. Best Action game by far!

If you are

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Don't play it and don't watch it. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems to be a game that shouldn't be played on anything smaller than a 9ft table.

I don't watch much pool, rather play.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been extremely fortunate that the room I’ve grown up in is owned by one of the better one pockets players in Florida. Even better is the fact that the owner is a strong teacher of the game who can coach every aspect of the game. I think without any instruction going from nine ball to one pocket would be very difficult and frustrating as hell.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best way to learn and enjoy One Pocket is to play partners. Get a knowledgeable partner and allow coaching.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket is like a big candy bar...
You either have to stop yourself from eating the entire thing, or you'd rather have potato chips. It's just like that.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A game for rude people

I played it once and it didn't seem like any big deal to me. You can shoot ANY ball you want . Not hard like 8 ball ,stripes and solids or 9 ball or cribbage etc. The worst thing about it was if a missed and left the ball close to my hole the guy knocked it away. ON PURPOSE. It made me so mad I started to do the same to him but decided just because he was rude was no reason for me to act that way. And we wonder why pool has a bad image
Jack

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just think the game is boring.

Tap, Tap, Tap. Unfortunately a lot of people who love one pocket will not accept this. If you don't love one pocket, it's because you don't understand the intricacies, you can't see the strategy, etc. In other words, chess is too complicate, stick to checkers.

I understand one pocket. I spent a few months watching every high level one pocket match I could find in an attempt ti grow my knowledge and understanding of the game. I may talk slow, but I ain't dumb....and...

I still think it's boring.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Tap, Tap, Tap. Unfortunately a lot of people who love one pocket will not accept this. If you don't love one pocket, it's because you don't understand the intricacies, you can't see the strategy, etc. In other words, chess is too complicate, stick to checkers.

I understand one pocket. I spent a few months watching every high level one pocket match I could find in an attempt ti grow my knowledge and understanding of the game. I may talk slow, but I ain't dumb....and...

I still think it's boring.

Well it’s all good cuz you an APA 5 that prizes his patches above all and is the type to nit your way into a humongous spot for decent dough and then back out cuz you’re shaking at the knees. You simply can’t handle the one pocket until you are a 6+ :)

For realz though...did you play the game during this watching time? I’m never trying to rag on people about one pocket I truly feel like a civic responsibility to let doubters know how freakin great it is lol.

I thought it was extremely lame and didn’t make it past the break the first time I tried watching but eventually I saw the light when I saw some dudes playing live in fast eddies. Crazy 8 and out. And once I started playing then the watching became interesting as hell. And running my first 8 O had me giggling like a school girl.

Play aggressive 1p ftw. It will add years to your life.