Difficult Shot On The 1B - Kinister

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had this layout earlier today. The shot on the 1B to get the proper angle on the 2B to drift up for the 3B requires a precise stroke where you have to roll the red circle CB up just a little bit to get position where the plain white CB is.

Do the rest of you posters find this shot difficult? I guess you could just slow roll the 1B into the corner. Or hit the shot that Bert Kinister shows on his 60 Minute Workout For 8B/9B. I believe its the first shot on that DVD where you practice a stun type stroke where the CB rolls up about a ball.

And if you stun/stop the red circle CB on the 1B the 3B could be in the way of the shot on the 2B. And drawing back is no good because the 8B and 9B block the corner pocket.

Thoughts posters?

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/e46ed.png

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Had this layout earlier today. The shot on the 1B to get the proper angle on the 2B to drift up for the 3B requires a precise stroke where you have to roll the red circle CB up just a little bit to get position where the plain white CB is.

Do the rest of you posters find this shot difficult? I guess you could just slow roll the 1B into the corner. Or hit the shot that Bert Kinister shows on his 60 Minute Workout For 8B/9B. I believe its the first shot on that DVD where you practice a stun type stroke where the CB rolls up about a ball.

And if you stun/stop the red circle CB on the 1B the 3B could be in the way of the shot on the 2B. And drawing back is no good because the 8B and 9B block the corner pocket.

Thoughts posters?

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/e46ed.png
1. It helps me to think of them as "adjusted stop shots".

2. In this case you could roll forward quite a bit and still have fine shape on the 2, so err on that side.

3. Practice, practice, practice.

pj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stun-roll-up-a-ball shot is a critical shot in pool. I’m not great at it but it’s a major shape shot at any distance whether your forcing it through at short distances just above center or dragging it out at long distances. My recommendation would be to practice it until comfortable with it (or until you felt you’ve improved some). You’ll be shocked how often it can come up and be the difference between hooked, easy and hard for your next shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2. In this case you could roll forward quite a bit and still have fine shape on the 2, so err on that side.

pj
chgo

No, not really. If you roll up several inches then you get a tough shot on the 2B into the opposite side. At least it would be tough for me. And if you would roll up to much then you would have to send the CB down table and back up for the 3B.

r/DCP

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No, not really. If you roll up several inches then you get a tough shot on the 2B into the opposite side. At least it would be tough for me. And if you would roll up to much then you would have to send the CB down table and back up for the 3B.

r/DCP
Both of those outcomes look about as challenging to me as hitting the stun rollthrough accurately enough to avoid them. I recommend working on both.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

mjdoutdoors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a critical shot to know...

I agree with Matt that this is a critical shot to know. To play at a high level you must have this shot in your bag. The key is visualizing the feeling of the stroke needed an committing to delivering it. Even the smallest let up in your delivery and it goes wrong in a bad way. Watch Neils F. Play straight pool and you will see him using this stroke often. This one shot I practice daily as my routine ala Kinister. This is the right was to play this shot.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is a pretty easy shot.
slow roll the one in or hit the cue ball firmly a little above center and it will roll forward a couple inches.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on what size table you're playing on. If it's a 9-ft. table, then I wouldn't recommend soft rolling the shot. Definitely use the stun roll through shot.Years ago, before we used official terminology, we used to call the shot the draw-follow shot. I believe the term was coined back in the 70's by a player from Brooklyn named Howie Pearl -- At least, he was the first person I ever heard use the term.

Anyway, it's a must shot to know and feel players have an uncanny ability to judge just how much backspin and speed is needed. It's one of my favorite shots and one I'm most confident shooting.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on what size table you're playing on. If it's a 9-ft. table, then I wouldn't recommend soft rolling the shot. Definitely use the stun roll through shot.Years ago, before we used official terminology, we used to call the shot the draw-follow shot. I believe the term was coined back in the 70's by a player from Brooklyn named Howie Pearl -- At least, he was the first person I ever heard use the term.

Anyway, it's a must shot to know and feel players have an uncanny ability to judge just how much backspin and speed is needed. It's one of my favorite shots and one I'm most confident shooting.

Why would you not slow roll it on a 9 foot table?
Would you be afraid that at that distance the table roll off would get you?
I would would shoot it with stun roll so the table would not beat me.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you not slow roll it on a 9 foot table?
Would you be afraid that at that distance the table roll off would get you?
I would would shoot it with stun roll so the table would not beat me.

Basically, yes as to why I wouldn't choose to slow roll the shot --- table roll, possible bits of dirt and chalk on the cloth, the possibility of hitting the cb slightly off center. The other issue is in not being able to control exactly where the cb will stop rolling. I find that it's easier to control the roll when it's only rolling a foot as opposed to rolling 6 feet.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is a pretty easy shot.
slow roll the one in or hit the cue ball firmly a little above center and it will roll forward a couple inches.

Have to agree that this is fairly easy. Also, it looks to me like the shot is aiming at the outer left facing in the pocket. If that's the case then with a normal stop shot you could cut the ball a tiny bit to the right and have the CB move over 2-3 inches and end up right on that dotted line. Do agree with others however, that the stun run through is a valuable shot to have.

Basically, yes as to why I wouldn't choose to slow roll the shot --- table roll, possible bits of dirt and chalk on the cloth, the possibility of hitting the cb slightly off center. The other issue is in not being able to control exactly where the cb will stop rolling. I find that it's easier to control the roll when it's only rolling a foot as opposed to rolling 6 feet.

Depending on the player, controlling how much forward roll is achieved using the stun run shot may be as or more difficult than controlling the rolling shot. It's only about 4 feet between the CB-OB and it doesn't have to be rolled all that slow so I wouldn't be too worried about it rolling off unless it was a really bad table.
JMO but I'd think that on average, B players and below would fare better by rolling it.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't roll it enough you get a that funny/bad angle on the 2-Ball. If you roll it too much you get a tough shot into the side pocket for position on the 3-Ball.

To me this shot is just harder than it looks.

r/DCP

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on the player, controlling how much forward roll is achieved using the stun run shot may be as or more difficult than controlling the rolling shot. It's only about 4 feet between the CB-OB and it doesn't have to be rolled all that slow so I wouldn't be too worried about it rolling off unless it was a really bad table.
JMO but I'd think that on average, B players and below would fare better by rolling it.

You might be right. If I were at the table actually assessing the situation, I would get a better feel for which way to go.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
would always go for the stun-follow shot.
wouldn t have to care about the table-

and as the layout shows-- even if I get a bit thinner on the two for the side...who cares? then i would jus have an automatic path to get position for the three.

In my opinion stun-follow the only logical option.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't roll it enough you get a that funny/bad angle on the 2-Ball. If you roll it too much you get a tough shot into the side pocket for position on the 3-Ball.

r/DCP

this is a very easy shot that comes up a lot.
the key here is not to over think it.
just shoot with a tip above center and a short firm stroke.
piece a cake.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

I hit it a touch below center ball, firm enough to have the cb slide all the way to just before hitting the one, then it rolls up about 5 inches. A good drag-draw shot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I hit it a touch below center ball, firm enough to have the cb slide all the way to just before hitting the one, then it rolls up about 5 inches. A good drag-draw shot.
Some practice tips:

- visualize shooting a stop shot on a ghost OB a few inches before the real one (closer to you = more roll-through)

- use a striped ball as the CB (with the stripe horizontal like an equator), so you can see if the spin changes where you want it to

pj
chgo

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some practice tips:

- visualize shooting a stop shot on a ghost OB a few inches before the real one (closer to you = more roll-through)

pj
chgo

This is a simple but profound statement. Perhaps you'd like to expound on this so it's clear to everyone why this will achieve the desired result.
So many people trying to learn this game just aren't cognizant of the way the balls work and consequently their progress is slower than it could be.