2020 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10ball ghost, 8-3 win, 9ft Black Crown 4.25 pockets.

I just got a new phone, recorded this in 4K, tried to upload it to Youtube...well, not waiting 8+ hours to upload lol. Guess this is why you don’t see a lot of 4k pool on Youtube. Anyways, this is at 1080.

https://youtu.be/ihaoIAKUJwM

Strong! well played and really nice break for 10-ball.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strong! well played and really nice break for 10-ball.

Hey, thanks a lot. I usually practice the break for about 30mins before trying out the ghost to get it really dialed in. Here, I just got home from work and got my new phone, was anxious to try out some new recording with it lol

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doesn't need to be added to the OP, but still thought it would be worth sharing in this thread.

Pia Filler vs the 10 Ball Ghost in a race to 15. She doesn't win, but still does really well.

Looks like this was streamed last night. After the set vs the ghost there is some gambling.

https://www.facebook.com/RoysBasement/videos/571357960396730/

I was in Griffs last month, and she was practicing on the table adjacent to where I was playing. For about 2 hours she shot one shot over and over, a thin cut down the rail. She'd put an ob a couple of inches off the cushion at about 3 diamonds from the corner pocket (long rail), then place the cb about a diamond out from the side pocket of the opposite long rail. She floated every shot into the corner. Very dedicated practice. I remember wondering if Josh had suggested to practice that shot, or if she just decided that shot needed work.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10ball ghost, 8-3 win, 9ft Black Crown 4.25 pockets.

I just got a new phone, recorded this in 4K, tried to upload it to Youtube...well, not waiting 8+ hours to upload lol. Guess this is why you don’t see a lot of 4k pool on Youtube. Anyways, this is at 1080.

https://youtu.be/ihaoIAKUJwM

Wow, that's some nice shooting! I have a few questions (from a much weaker player;)):

1) What phone did you get? The balls look super clear. And at 4K, did that hour plus video eat all your phone memory?

(comment: if you can figure out how to lock the white balance on the camera app, when you step into and out of the frame it won't change the lighting and cause a hotspot on the table).

2) Did you have formal coaching? Your stroke looks very consistent, and something like a coach might have taught you. Or, did you develop your own style?

3) At time stamp 14:50 shooting the 1, is that exactly how you played the CB? Or were you trying to hit the long rail and bounce out a hair for the 3 (getting to the same spot you did).

4) At time stamp 56:50 shooting the 4 in the side: Were you worried about a skid on that shot? As soon as I saw where the CB landed, I was worried about it for you. I thought you were going to slow roll it like you did, but with outside, to reduce the chance of a skid.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that's some nice shooting! I have a few questions (from a much weaker player;)):

1) What phone did you get? The balls look super clear. And at 4K, did that hour plus video eat all your phone memory?

(comment: if you can figure out how to lock the white balance on the camera app, when you step into and out of the frame it won't change the lighting and cause a hotspot on the table).

2) Did you have formal coaching? Your stroke looks very consistent, and something like a coach might have taught you. Or, did you develop your own style?

3) At time stamp 14:50 shooting the 1, is that exactly how you played the CB? Or were you trying to hit the long rail and bounce out a hair for the 3 (getting to the same spot you did).

4) At time stamp 56:50 shooting the 4 in the side: Were you worried about a skid on that shot? As soon as I saw where the CB landed, I was worried about it for you. I thought you were going to slow roll it like you did, but with outside, to reduce the chance of a skid.

1: I got an Iphone 11 Pro Max. That video was recorded in 4k but I uploaded it in 1080p 60frames. My phone is a 256gig. This session i recorded (just over an hour) in 4k took over 30+ gigs on my phone lol. 1080p would normally take up about 10gigs. I was going to upload it in 4k, but Youtube was estimating over 8hours!

2: I’ve had no coaching, just a few lessons from different pro players here and there. I try to get lessons from as many different players as possible, as you never know what you might learn. I’ve taken a few lessons with some and they couldn’t really show me anything I didn’t already know, but it was worth it to find out.

My favorite player to watch was always John Morra when he played right handed. Always in awe of his stroke, its just perfect in my eyes. Years ago i started to emulate his stroke and it just stuck with it and have seen big improvements with straight cueing and staying down on the ball.

3: I was thinking about coming to long rail but had to be more precise that way to get good shape, but i was guaranteed to get on the 3 that way. The way i shot it, i get better shape coming into ball but risk getting hooked. I think the way i shot it doesn’t require as good speed control to get good shape on 3.

4: wasn’t worried about a skid. I was trying to hit it as slow and as thick as possible to keep the right angle to get back on the 7. If i got wrong angle on 5 would of been tough to get a good shot on 7 with those 3 balls as a wall in the way. I was hitting it pretty dead on so wasn’t really worried about the skid.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1: I got an Iphone 11 Pro Max. That video was recorded in 4k but I uploaded it in 1080p 60frames. My phone is a 256gig. This session i recorded (just over an hour) in 4k took over 30+ gigs on my phone lol. 1080p would normally take up about 10gigs. I was going to upload it in 4k, but Youtube was estimating over 8hours!

2: I’ve had no coaching, just a few lessons from different pro players here and there. I try to get lessons from as many different players as possible, as you never know what you might learn. I’ve taken a few lessons with some and they couldn’t really show me anything I didn’t already know, but it was worth it to find out.

My favorite player to watch was always John Morra when he played right handed. Always in awe of his stroke, its just perfect in my eyes. Years ago i started to emulate his stroke and it just stuck with it and have seen big improvements with straight cueing and staying down on the ball.

3: I was thinking about coming to long rail but had to be more precise that way to get good shape, but i was guaranteed to get on the 3 that way. The way i shot it, i get better shape coming into ball but risk getting hooked. I think the way i shot it doesn’t require as good speed control to get good shape on 3.

4: wasn’t worried about a skid. I was trying to hit it as slow and as thick as possible to keep the right angle to get back on the 7. If i got wrong angle on 5 would of been tough to get a good shot on 7 with those 3 balls as a wall in the way. I was hitting it pretty dead on so wasn’t really worried about the skid.

Thanks for answering the questions. Much appreciated! Yeah, you do look like Morra. Even your eye and hand are opposite dominate it seems.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/J5WvgdVRVyI

10 ball ghost.

Me 3 - Ghost 7. I never would have said this before, but I think I may actually have a chance in hell of beating the 10 ball ghost one set this year.

Video sped for my short attention span.

First post updated.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help uploading video /or YouTube link

iPad Pro and / or iPhone used to video. It won’t let me upload video.
I can’t figure out either how to see the url on safari browser used on iPad
Please help thx

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting my table installed in a few weeks, can’t wait to join this thread. I haven’t played in 2 years and am pumped to finally have a table at the house. Probably will have to start with the 6 ball ghost to get back into it but hope to be beating the 9 ball ghost by the end of 2020

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve got a Sony handicam I use to record with but lately every time I record a set it stops recording in the middle of the set and says the sd card is full but there’s nothing on it. Today I started to record a set, I won 7-3 but when I got done it had stopped recording when it was 5-2. I’ve got another memory card but the camera doesn’t even read it. Maybe I’ll get to post a video some day

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve got a Sony handicam I use to record with but lately every time I record a set it stops recording in the middle of the set and says the sd card is full but there’s nothing on it. Today I started to record a set, I won 7-3 but when I got done it had stopped recording when it was 5-2. I’ve got another memory card but the camera doesn’t even read it. Maybe I’ll get to post a video some day

I had the same problem with my old Handicam. I could record almost an hour on the SD card, but that’s it. And the video quality wasn’t the greatest. When I went to upgrade the card, I was told mine was so old that I couldn’t even buy a compatible storage upgrade. I use my phone now and it works great with the storage upgrade I bought with it. I can record for a few hours straight in HD and my new phone even records in 4K. Editing and posting the vids is super easy too...couple of apps on the phone let me edit and post to YouTube. Nothing too fancy, but great for what I do with it.