Is pool growing?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I think Pool has found a place for itself in the whole microcosm of things and
that place is where its going to stay until someone does something special with it and develops it.

Way to say something without saying anything atall 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the grand scheme of things, and when you look at the big picture, pool is actually declining and not growing, you could easily identify this by watching the semi-finals & finals of tournaments from the 80's and 90's, specially in the era of 1988 until 1995 approx, watch these tournaments, see the crowd, casual people around the table, big rooms and audience way at the back.

Then after this, take a look at finals of tournament from this age, it is easily identifiable that pool is not growing, as a matter of fact, these days even pool players don't want to watch pool finals and tournaments anymore, heck the other day I've invited my friends whom are pool players to watch the finals of a tournament with me on my laptop, and there were BIG NAMES in the finals, and they said NAH and continued to play in their casual pool game in the room.

To me, I think it's dying somewhat and I have few reasons as to why, but this thread did not ask for the reason so I will try not to make this post longer than it should, because if I stated the reasons that I personally believe caused this, some companies and big names will be pissed, there has been few changes in the game from the 90's to today's pool that were hideous and caused this descend, but the people who invented such things they still in the delusional that these invention were good for pool, but they're not, they were never a good invention, ill keep you people guessing.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
In the grand scheme of things, and when you look at the big picture, pool is actually declining and not growing, you could easily identify this by watching the semi-finals & finals of tournaments from the 80's and 90's, specially in the era of 1988 until 1995 approx, watch these tournaments, see the crowd, casual people around the table, big rooms and audience way at the back.

Once again, here we see the professional side of pool being used as the benchmark as to whether pool is growing or declining.

Forget professional pool audiences. I have no numbers but I sincerely believe that there are many, many more people (young, old, men, women, and whatever else I need to make the numbers) playing pool than there were in the 80's and before. Heck, when I was growing up you rarely ever saw a woman in a pool room. Now, the pool halls are crowded with them.

As far as pool halls closing their doors, well, I cannot deny that there are some very mis-managed halls that close down. But as a whole, there are probably many more venues for playing pool than there ever were when I was a youngster. In my hometown where I grew up, you can walk into many bars that have at least four tables and a plethora of bars that have at least two. We also have more pool "halls" than we had back then.

Not to mention how big pool has gotten internationally.

I don't know what area you are in, but I do not see the decline of pool from where I'm sitting.

Maniac

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again, here we see the professional side of pool being used as the benchmark as to whether pool is growing or declining.

Maniac

Ofcourse you see the professional side of pool for a any given sport to check whether it's succeeding and flourishing, or declining!

When you want to know that football/soccer if you're an american, is succeeding, you check the professional teams, professional national teams, the world cup, are there more people watching than the previous year or not, if not then FIFA asks why? and tries to improve. You also check for the money inside of the game, are football players getting more paid, are the sponsors and advertisement companies coming to us because we have more views, if we don't have more views then what should we do to increase the audience/views to get more money, then more sponsors, then more ads.

It's simple man, you never go to your local small sand soccer/football kids yard to see if more kids are playing, that does not equal success of a sport lol, you see the world CUP, the big teams, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Natioanl teams, etc.

Same with pool, it's the same with any sport really, so you basically went to your local poolroom and found more ladies are playing and determined that the pool in the world is growing? seriously? so wait, my poolroom where I live has less people than the 90's what does that mean for me?

Also did you have statistics in numbers for the increase of pool players in your poolrooms inside of your state? If so, how did you take it since the 90s, or maybe you just guesstimated, anyways, I disagree thoroughly with you in every aspect, growth will be seen in the professional side of things, the money, the ads, the sponsors, the fame, and what brings the fame, money, ads, sponsors, big check for the 1st place? it's the audience, people watching, and viewership.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, golf's winner's take 2018...

Masters - $1.98mm
U.S. Open - $2.16mm
British Open - $1.89mm
PGA - $1.89mm

I think the purses continue to be on an uptrend but golf is in decline.

I don't know if pool is growing or not (and this thread, so far, confirms the disagreements), but if it's declining among the young, I would think cell phones / internet has something to do with it. It's taking over our lives, lol. Then again, I wonder if parents are buying fewer home pool tables, instead buying expensive cell phones and electronic gizmos for Junior. But again, I don't know the numbers.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Golf has been on the decline since Tiger pulled his little stunt. He transgended the sport, and caused it to grow by leaps and bounds. Tiger brings money period. If by some chance, he starts getting whitey in the fairway, and keeps making those otherworldly, clutch recoveries, clutch putts and keeps playing like he did yesterday, you will see golf start growing again. Pool needs a catalyst of some sort, much like Tiger was to golf.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
What’s bad ass is 3 cushion just slapped 150k in a winners hands!

3 cushion......straight put an ass whooping on pocket billiards payout lol

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
155 with a 5 k performance bonus

100 k with a 5k performance bonus for the runner up

And so on down , half of em made in a week more than i do in a yr

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is not doing well and will never return to the golden days.

It has been proven that leagues are the salvation of pool room operators.
And the popularity of leagues has been steady & incremental over the years.

The best test of whether pool is doing well is measured by the number of actual
pool room operators and so just look at the stark reality which is not optimistic.

The number of pool room closures outpaces the number of new room openings
and existing pool room operators are faced with economic challenges all the time.

Look at this summer's heat wave.......Fresno had 30 consecutive days over a 100
degrees......then we had a 99 degree day and then returned right back to > 100
temperatures. How much does this add to a pool room operator's electrical bill?

Pool rooms are empty during the day and some rooms aren't opening until mid-day.
In the evening, leagues dominate the picture and thank goodness too otherwise more
pool halls would be closing. Just do a national business survey and you'll see that the
trend line for pool room closures vs. openings is the harbinger of doom. Pool will struggle
but will never disappear. At least I got to enjoy the very best of times which are sorely missed.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ofcourse you see the professional side of pool for a any given sport to check whether it's succeeding and flourishing, or declining!

I dunno, it's possible that pool could be a very popular participation sport but not a popular spectator sport. Lots of activities are popular among real people but you don't see professionals doing it on TV. And there are lots of popular TV spectator sports that are too expensive for large numbers of regular people to play.

I was at Griff's during the US Opens there last month, when SVB and Alex were playing in the finals. In the back of the room they had leagues going on. There were a dozen teams busily scribbling down their points on their score sheets and high-fiving each other, oblivious to the fact that a couple of the best pool players in the world were playing 20 feet away.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The big local tour in my area got like 80-120 players around 2003-2008 and I saw last week the current comparable drew 42.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Henry Ford

Henry Ford said say what you want about my cars the important thing is saying the word Ford.

Lately on TV Pool tables keep popping up sometimes in a background scene or a part of a show or movie.
More importantly is the number of commercials now using Pool in their ad's maybe this will seep into the minds of younger people. Who knows but anything is better then nothing.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I dunno, it's possible that pool could be a very popular participation sport but not a popular spectator sport. Lots of activities are popular among real people but you don't see professionals doing it on TV. And there are lots of popular TV spectator sports that are too expensive for large numbers of regular people to play.

I was at Griff's during the US Opens there last month, when SVB and Alex were playing in the finals. In the back of the room they had leagues going on. There were a dozen teams busily scribbling down their points on their score sheets and high-fiving each other, oblivious to the fact that a couple of the best pool players in the world were playing 20 feet away.

Pool is extremely popular regarding participation, it’s def no spectator sport. Hell the trick shot events drew the most viewers if I’m not mistaken on ESPN

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
We all
know that Pro's take and rarely contribute to the venues they play at.

I'm going to disagree with that premise. Players like SVB, Earl, Efren....etc. etc do indeed contribute to the venues they play in even if they don't spend a dime themselves. Take a look at the gallery whenever one of these giants play....sometimes SRO is the rule. One guy playing pool....50 watching and buying food and drinks....same reason bars hire bands and sometimes offer band members a round or two on the house. Pool is a game for most....pool hall / bar is a business. anytime someone can attract more customers through the doors....they are a contribution.

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
We all
know that Pro's take and rarely contribute to the venues they play at.

I'm going to disagree with that premise. Players like SVB, Earl, Efren....etc. etc do indeed contribute to the venues they play in even if they don't spend a dime themselves. Take a look at the gallery whenever one of these giants play....sometimes SRO is the rule. One guy playing pool....50 watching and buying food and drinks....same reason bars hire bands and sometimes offer band members a round or two on the house. Pool is a game for most....pool hall / bar is a business. anytime someone can attract more customers through the doors....they are a contribution.

Racky BallBoa

Registered
Well, as a retired baby boomer, living in a 55 plus retirement community I can tell you first hand pool is very much alive and well and growing among the retirees. For example, the huge retirement community, The Villages, probably has more pool tables per square foot than any other area in the USA. They have several leagues and tournaments everyday of the week. I can see why Don Feeney and Bert Kinister chose to live there.