Another Rules Question

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the idea of "helping" high handicappers.

Maybe there's a need for a "Beginners League" where everyone, including opponents are encouraged to help out beginning players with suggestions.
Maybe do it in between seasons of regular league play.

What is really fun to watch is one of 2 things:

An 18 player coaches another 18 player. Neither has a clue. :smile:
A 26 Player coaches an 18 player. The instructions are so involved and the execution so specific there is no way the player will be able to successfully execute the shot. :rolleyes:

This is always followed by failure and "I didn't know you were going to hit it that hard" or "why did you put so MUCH English on it", etc. :cool:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
What is really fun to watch is one of 2 things:

An 18 player coaches another 18 player. Neither has a clue. :smile:
A 26 Player coaches an 18 player. The instructions are so involved and the execution so specific there is no way the player will be able to successfully execute the shot. :rolleyes:

This is always followed by failure and "I didn't know you were going to hit it that hard" or "why did you put so MUCH English on it", etc. :cool:

I like the idea of "helping" high handicappers.

Maybe there's a need for a "Beginners League" where everyone, including opponents are encouraged to help out beginning players with suggestions.
Maybe do it in between seasons of regular league play.
Awards for:
Most Helpful
Most Improved

Room Owners working with League Operators could have a Beginners Night where instructed play could happen on a regular basis on a slow weeknight.
New players = Regular Players = More League Players
I have to agree.
I've seen it happen too much.
Blind leading the blind.
Most people are not good at giving instructions.

That's why my second suggestion would be much better.
Room Owners, League Operators and Players should be encouraging new people to "Come in and play"(tm).

Last edited:

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the last two years the BCAPL has allowed coaching between scotch doubles team members at the BCAPL Nationals, as long as the player that is not shooting coaches from the chair and does not approach the table.

From the 2017 BCAPL National Championships Tournament Regulations....

Scotch Doubles:

a. Open communication/coaching IS permitted between teammates during their turn at the table. However, the non-shooting player must remain in or at his/her chair and may not approach the table.

b. Communication/coaching cannot result in slower than normal play. As a general guide, there should be no more than 45 seconds between each shot. If a team consistently uses more than 45 seconds between shots, the opposing team may summon a referee to monitor the match and the referee may institute delayed progress rulings at any time per section A8.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone can coach in APA. In 8 ball, skill levels 2 and 3 as well as unrated 4's (new male players) get 2 coaches per game. 4-7 only get one per game. Thus you could get several per match. One of the reasons it is a very good league for learning if you are new to the game. These rules follow you from the local level to the finals in Vegas.

APA singles tournaments you are not allowed any coaching.

With their other tournaments - captain, doubles, etc, they typically only allow 1 coach per game.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I believe you misunderstood me. The league allows coaching, it's specified in the rules.

I would like your BCA league better if they allow coaching. Even if its 1 time per game or night, sometimes there is something obvious that you just dont see when you are at the table, a second set of eyes can be helpful.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its called an "individual sport" for a reason. Unless you're playing partners, coaching should not be allowed, imo.

Leagues are for learning just as much as they are for competition.

You can learn and teach much better in the heat of the moment as opposed to waiting 20-90 mins after a match to go over all the teachable moments.