A little Love for Morra

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to give JM a lot of credit for his dedication to the game he loves , because of neck problems JM switched from righty to lefty that's quite a feat to still be able to play at a high level , he finished 5/6 in the one pocket tournament , beating DO and TRex along the way ,

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agreed, John has shown some impressive heart in staying the course and, due to medical necessity, switching hands. It will be a fantastic story if he wins anything big playing with is opposite hand.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, John has shown some impressive heart in staying the course and, due t medical necessity, switching hands. It will be a fantastic story if he wins anything big playing with is opposite hand.
I remember watching him at the expo when he was 16 or so he wins a big set for 1k or so never blinked a eye , him and his dad are walking towards the bathroom as I'm coming out and his dad says something JM smiles pops his gum like no big deal and he finished 3rd in the open , that yr
I told my friend I just saw a sure bet to be a pro player, Mr smooth is a good name for him
Watching him play now he may want to think about breaking right handed his break is terrible he will need to straighten that out if he plans to compete on a high level
However one pocket doesn't need a big break maybe he can excel in that

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I might be a bit prejudiced here....his papa brought me a cigar when John was born.
....so....does anybody else think John Morra has surpassed Cecil Tugwell for being the
best player who ever switched from right to left-handed?

Mind you, I think that Left-handed Johnny still needs the 8 from Right-handed Johnny

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if he will eventually switch back. I know it caused him pain but maybe he could realign himself so that he isn’t so left eye dominant while shooting right handed

usakr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He won an 8 ball tournament a few months back. He beat Cory Deul and SVB to win it. That was with his left. I think he'll be OK.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I might be a bit prejudiced here....his papa brought me a cigar when John was born.
....so....does anybody else think John Morra has surpassed Cecil Tugwell for being the
best player who ever switched from right to left-handed?

Mind you, I think that Left-handed Johnny still needs the 8 from Right-handed Johnny

I’d like to know myself just to get a gauge on this Mr. tugwell. I had never heard of him until some Helfert/Leblanc commentary and then I read an interview or something with him...was he a monster player (right handed) or just another really good one?

And John Morra has been one of my favorite players since the first time I saw him shoot. I can play decent left handed but he actually looks comfortable doing it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am inclined to say I don't believe it...but then there is that whole reality thing.

Incredible the dude is.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Break

I remember watching him at the expo when he was 16 or so he wins a big set for 1k or so never blinked a eye , him and his dad are walking towards the bathroom as I'm coming out and his dad says something JM smiles pops his gum like no big deal and he finished 3rd in the open , that yr
I told my friend I just saw a sure bet to be a pro player, Mr smooth is a good name for him
Watching him play now he may want to think about breaking right handed his break is terrible he will need to straighten that out if he plans to compete on a high level
However one pocket doesn't need a big break maybe he can excel in that

I was around him this weekend at the Big Tyme Classic (Buddy Hall Classic) and on the 9ft he was breaking right handed. I think he was breaking lefty on the bar table, but everyone was cut breaking so he didn't need much power.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
John Morra, whom I like very much, makes me feel like a bit of an ass for when I leave myself what should be pretty routine opposite hand shots, I get all clumsy and dog-ish.

What he's accomplishing is nothing short of amazing. :thumbup:

I'm ashamed. :embarrassed2: :wink:

best,
brian kc