USA vs. England, MC warmup

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This just in from Matchroom ....

USA TO TAKE ON ENGLAND
Team USA will take on England in a Mosconi Cup style challenge match in London on Wednesday, November 28th.

The match will be broadcast live for free over two sessions on the partypoker Mosconi Cup Facebook page from 2pm (UK time) on Wednesday, November 28th and forms an important part of America’s preparations for the 25th annual partypoker Mosconi Cup.

The England team will be captained by Daryl Peach with Darren Appleton, Karl Boyes, Mark Gray, Imran Majid and Chris Melling forming the five-player squad.

Team USA is led by coach Johan Ruijsink alongside vice-coach Jeremy Jones with a playing squad of Corey Deuel, Tyler Styer, Billy Thorpe, Shane van Boening and Skyler Woodward.

Taking part at Spots & Stripes in London, the event will feature a mix of up to 13 singles and doubles matches, with the winning team the first to seven points. Each match is a race to five with an alternative break format.

The match will be streamed live throughout at www.facebook.com/mosconicup. There will be no public admittance to the match

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

USA TO TAKE ON ENGLAND
Team USA will take on England in a Mosconi Cup style challenge match in London on Wednesday, November 28th.

The match will be broadcast live for free over two sessions on the partypoker Mosconi Cup Facebook page from 2pm (UK time) on Wednesday, November 28th and forms an important part of America’s preparations for the 25th annual partypoker Mosconi Cup.

The England team will be captained by Daryl Peach with Darren Appleton, Karl Boyes, Mark Gray, Imran Majid and Chris Melling forming the five-player squad.

Team USA is led by coach Johan Ruijsink alongside vice-coach Jeremy Jones with a playing squad of Corey Deuel, Tyler Styer, Billy Thorpe, Shane van Boening and Skyler Woodward.

Taking part at Spots & Stripes in London, the event will feature a mix of up to 13 singles and doubles matches, with the winning team the first to seven points. Each match is a race to five with an alternative break format.

The match will be streamed live throughout at www.facebook.com/mosconicup. There will be no public admittance to the match

Odd venue, Spots and Stripes only has 7ft English Pool tables. Strange for them to stage it there, rather than a venue that already has US tables. Maybe its just easier for them to install a Rasson table there as English tables are very easy to move on a trolley. Odd the public cant watch though, they could easily sell that out.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

USA TO TAKE ON ENGLAND

Awesome. Match Room is demonstrating that they are serious about helping the US squad be more competitive.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

USA TO TAKE ON ENGLAND

Thanks Bob, This sounds like a great idea from all points of the compass. Plus the no audience factor may just benefit the Americans. If they can hold their own without the hecklers they may just feel they can do it with them as well. Should be an interesting prelude..

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the idea of this event, but is there a chance of demoralization before the cup if it's a big loss for Team USA?

I believe all of the England players have been on past Mosconi Cup teams and are quite strong competition for the American team. If USA gets stomped or takes a very close loss, does this look bad on Johan or Matchroom with the actual Mosconi Cup being so soon after?

Will it discredit the main event if team USA gets beat by Team England? How do you feel it could change the demeanor of the players (USA) going into the actual event, if they lose?

It's great Matchroom is providing these opportunities but this being so close to the event might be a mistake.

-Ben

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
no shame in losing to a VERY good British team in this format

mistake by not playing in front of fans

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no shame in losing to a VERY good British team in this format

mistake by not playing in front of fans

If Team USA loses to Team England a week before facing Team Europe do you think it takes away from the Mosconi Cup excitement?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome. Match Room is demonstrating that they are serious about helping the US squad be more competitive.

I can hear it now the next Wednesday when after having been drilled on day 1, wind bag Jim Wych says, well folks should we have expected different after they were just steamrolled a week ago by only England.

:rotflmao1:

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
If Team USA loses to Team England a week before facing Team Europe do you think it takes away from the Mosconi Cup excitement?

NO, everybody loves an underdog esp. one that is capable of shocking the MC world

keep in mind we (USA) has 4 very experienced players who have to date under performed in this venue........will this be the year that we stop making cue ball errors (scratching, over running position, etc.).

getting off to a good start would be key in how competitive the MC will be

imo team Britain are 2.5 to 1 dogs vs team Europe whereas team USA are 4.5 to 1 dogs

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check this out...

63401ef3ef5d80afff7995e83b8638ba.jpg

Emily is Matchroom’s COO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check this out......

<Photo Clipped>

Emily is Matchroom’s COO

If Matchroom can get the fan bases of other European countries as riled up as the English fans for their teams/players, this could be an exciting proposition.

Maybe stealing the team league format from our beloved Bonus Ball... :wink:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Matchroom can get the fan bases of other European countries as riled up as the English fans for their teams/players, this could be an exciting proposition.

Maybe stealing the team league format from our beloved Bonus Ball... :wink:

I think we’ve been speculating about extending it to continent vs continent to allow Canada to participate in the cup. I’ll take Alex on the team any day.

This is the first time I’ve seen that speculation semi-officially confirmed.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt, I am curious how this England vs Team USA event led you to the conclusion of NA against Europe?

I know serious fans of the Mosconi Cup have been throwing this around for years after the slump of Team USA, but what was your reasoning of saying it here?

I am not following the bouncing ball.

I understand your comment regarding other country v country Mosconi Cup style events, but not the connection to NA vs. Europe.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

-Ben

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt, I am curious how this England vs Team USA event lead you to the conclusion of NA against Europe?

I know serious fans of the Mosconi Cup have been throwing this around for years after the slump of Team USA, but what was your reasoning of saying it here?

I am not following the bouncing ball.

I understand your comment regarding other country v country Mosconi Cup style events, but not the connection to NA vs. Europe.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

-Ben

I said it smelled like a “precursor to switching Mosconi Cup to NA vs. EU” and the Matchroom COO responded with “spot on”. So either she’s responding to the second half of my post only or she’s confirming the entirety of it.

The reason it smelled like a precursor was simply intuition. If I was going to move in that direction then these are similar decisions I’d make to warm up the concept. #JustTheTip

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until now, I've never stopped to consider whether England is in worse shape than the US when it comes to up-and-coming pool players.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is such a strange event. The US is assumed to win this, otherwise why do it?

Imagine, a week prior to the Super bowl, the underdog team plays a match against a team clearly inferior to their true opponents. If they win, everyone knows they’re still big underdogs in the real event next week. And if they lose...