Tru Balance Conversion

mrkaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Brunswick Tru Balance house cue with the rectangular black label on it. It is very straight, but only 54 inches from tip to the bottom of the Rubber bumper (which is 1" long). It is 1.4" thick at the butt end but only .815" 30" up from the bottom of the rubber bumper. 28" from the bumper it is .843 thick. What do you think, is this worth pursuing as a conversion? Also this does not need to be a true sneaky pete it can have a butt cap and joint collar.

Thanks
Michael

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Brunswick Tru Balance house cue with the rectangular black label on it. It is very straight, but only 54 inches from tip to the bottom of the Rubber bumper (which is 1" long). It is 1.4" thick at the butt end but only .815" 30" up from the bottom of the rubber bumper. 28" from the bumper it is .843 thick. What do you think, is this worth pursuing as a conversion? Also this does not need to be a true sneaky pete it can have a butt cap and joint collar.

Thanks
Michael

Hello Michael:
There is a certain nostalgia about conversions on old cues. It's really up to what you want and like versus how much will it take to get it accomplished.

mrkaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like full splice looking cues I just wasn't sure there was enough "meat" on the cue to get a full length cue. (At least without adding a overly long butt sleeve)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I really like full splice looking cues I just wasn't sure there was enough "meat" on the cue to get a full length cue. (At least without adding a overly long butt sleeve)

Might have to add 2 inches at the bottom depending on how straight it is .
Lining up the points would be a challenge .

They are just as much work as most basic cues .
Expect to pay close to custom plane cues from good makers if you want good shafts with it .

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Given the dimensions you gave. I think you have good guidelines. At 29 actual inches, the 1 inch bumper don't count. You have room for a hoppe style ring in back, at the joint you have room for a 1 inch joint with ring work behind it. Which means your point if reference is the .843, most 1 inch joints are tapered around .012 to .015 so roughly you can get a finished joint around .830 stainless. A little more if it's not plus finish. Just rough thinking here but I think I'm close.
P. S.
If I remember correct there should be at least 3/4" long wood under the 1 inch bumper. The bumper is a press on.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might have to add 2 inches at the bottom depending on how straight it is .
Lining up the points would be a challenge .

They are just as much work as most basic cues .
Expect to pay close to custom plane cues from good makers if you want good shafts with it .

My brother. You can off set the back and get those points even if there off. There's plenty of room.
Well, if there off within reason anyway. Like 1/2" or so off is very workable without touching the joint.

Last edited: