Shaft conversion question

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it possible to convert a 5/16x14 piloted shaft over to a 3/8x10 shaft ??
I love the shaft I have but want to see if its worth all the hassle & $$ to do this. Not looking to break any rules here, so please don`t post any $$ amounts. You can always PM me this info.
I`ve searched this forum for this answer & can not get an answer I`m looking for. I`m headed to the SBE show this week & was wondering if this could be done while I`m there or would a cue repairman need more time to do this work at there home work shop? I always have Joe Blackburn do any shaft work I need done at the show, but wasn`t sure if this qualifies as something that could be done at the show or not. Thanks for any help you can provide me with.
Jeff

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The best method for this is drilling out the insert, plugging the shaft with something (I love phenolic for this), drilling and tapping the shaft, and off you go.

I'm not sure if this is an on-site task at SBE, but Joe can definitely do it, worth asking him.

As far as cost, that number can be all over the board depending on who does it.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your info Patrick. I will check with Joe and see what he has to say about doing the shaft for me.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The best method for this is drilling out the insert, plugging the shaft with something (I love phenolic for this), drilling and tapping the shaft, and off you go.

I'm not sure if this is an on-site task at SBE, but Joe can definitely do it, worth asking him.

As far as cost, that number can be all over the board depending on who does it.

Well, if the insert is 9/16, and the 3/8 10 has .305 minor, you might not have to remove the brass insert.
Bore it .305 and live thread .
Did this to a Uniloc insert Pred shaft for a 3/8 11.
Still works today.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Well, if the insert is 9/16, and the 3/8 10 has .305 minor, you might not have to remove the brass insert.
Bore it .305 and live thread .
Did this to a Uniloc insert Pred shaft for a 3/8 11.
Still works today.

That's true, but I like the hit of a phenolic/non-metallic insert with a big pin so I was biased in my answer