4th axis and tailstock

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Hello folks,

Awhile back there was a chat here about 4th axis and tail stock. I have the mini raptor and I am in need of buying a 4th axis and tailstock. I have a Gecko 540 driver box.
I would love to have the tailstock to be able to slide back and forth so I can either make ringwork, points or inlay the cue.
Do you guys mind to share your guy's setup? Maybe some pictures too.
Thanks in advance!

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello folks,

Awhile back there was a chat here about 4th axis and tail stock. I have the mini raptor and I am in need of buying a 4th axis and tailstock. I have a Gecko 540 driver box.

I would love to have the tailstock to be able to slide back and forth so I can either make ringwork, points or inlay the cue.

Do you guys mind to share your guy's setup? Maybe some pictures too.

Thanks in advance!

bd1466191c6863e7618ba1e25079d0a2.jpg

As far as a tailstock goes I think mounting it to a linear rail like dz is pretty genius.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I copied DZ's setup and used a linear slide also. I machined a custom stailstock base and mated it to a Sherline right angle tailstock.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
It's backordered for more than 2 months.

That place is a piece of crap. I ordered my CSMIO from there and they sent me a bill for 45 bucks in customs charges that was never discussed.

I'd be surprised if they listed anything that wasn't drop shipped.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I copied DZ's setup and used a linear slide also. I machined a custom stailstock base and mated it to a Sherline right angle tailstock.

It's not that difficult to machine. The problem is finding someone who is will to do it for a "reasonable" amount of money.

That sort of thing I can do at my house, but trying to find someone to cut nickel silver rings is another story.

If you send me the pieces, I'll make it for a couple hundred bucks.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not that difficult to machine. The problem is finding someone who is will to do it for a "reasonable" amount of money.

That sort of thing I can do at my house, but trying to find someone to cut nickel silver rings is another story.

If you send me the pieces, I'll make it for a couple hundred bucks.

Send you what pieces? I machined everything on the techno.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to note for those pursuing this idea, one should consider the type rail used. The THK HSR series for example is designed to be "self-adjusting" for slight differences in planar height between two sets of rails. There is the possibility of a light twisting moment causing the LM block to "tilt." It's likely miniscule and the force needed is probably beyond those seen in cue-making. One way to ensure this is not an issue is to find a set with clearance grade C1 or C0 (light or medium preload). Other way would be to source a wide-rail LM guide such as HRW or SHW which are designed to work singly.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can CAD up what you need with the dimensions you want, I can also help you out Tony. My shop specializes in small run prototyping.