Kamui Clear

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Well I saw this tip first hand but have not played with it. It is supposed to have this clear pad on it which keeps the glue from getting into the tip and compromising the leather is what I have been told. If the clear pad is glued onto the ferrule, how is the pad attached to the tip and also how does it change the hit if at all? I use Kamui black tips on all my cues and really like them and appreciate the support they provide to events and players so lets keep it nice as Alfie would say. :wink:

Attachments

• 181042_4080220058767_1978028287_n.jpg
    181042_4080220058767_1978028287_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 4,239

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kamui brand is by far tops for me.....

I don't have any info on the Kamui clear tips,, but I'm a big fan of there black tips,, and Im very interested in some consumer reports regarding this new tip..

Btw "Fast Lenny" sorry I air barreled you on that "Easter basket" ,I didn't mean to get your hopes up;):D,, I really thought Earl was out that rack..:sorry::grin:

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I don't have any info on the Kamui clear tips,, but I'm a big fan of there black tips,, and Im very interested in some consumer reports regarding this new tip..

Btw "Fast Lenny" sorry I air barreled you on that "Easter basket" ,I didn't mean to get your hopes up;):D,, I really thought Earl was out that rack..:sorry::grin:

No problem, its not the first time I have been aired. :embarrassed2:

I look forward to hearing stuff from people who actually have tried it, not really looking to hear how Joe Blow hates this or that and has never even gave it a try. I used a piece of a friend Kamui chalk and did not like it all that much but that was the first stuff they came out with, maybe the new mix is different. I also did not give it a fair shot only using it a little bit so maybe I will give it a try again sometime down the road.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
No problem, its not the first time I have been aired. :embarrassed2:

I look forward to hearing stuff from people who actually have tried it, not really looking to hear how Joe Blow hates this or that and has never even gave it a try. I used a piece of a friend Kamui chalk and did not like it all that much but that was the first stuff they came out with, maybe the new mix is different. I also did not give it a fair shot only using it a little bit so maybe I will give it a try again sometime down the road.

I updated my first post with this link

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=4111299

But its kind of a Joe blow ,this or that ,as you put it..:smile:

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I managed to snag a Clear black medium at the expo, had Ryan (of RAT cue fame) install it on my new OB Classic and have shot with it for 3 days since. My impression is this: there is absolutely no difference between the original kamui black and the kamui black clear in terms of hit/hardness/etc.

Having said that, IMO the advantage of the clear pad is idiot-proofing the install. I'm sure many repairmen/cuemakers are aware of leather tips wicking up glue; some are not. Every now and then you might get a tip that wicks up more glue than usual. When a tip is not properly prepped, it can lead to glue failures...maybe not enough for the tip to pop off, but enough to cause a "clicking" due to a tiny gap between ferrule and tip.

As far as I can tell (with a sample size of 1), the clear pad addresses this problem, and since I had 3 different layered tips click on me in the recent past, I'm happy to see this innovation.

-roger

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
But its kind of a Joe blow ,this or that ,as you put it

You would certainly know a Joe Blow thread when you see one.

Coming from a guy that is supposedly building the best LD shaft anyone has ever known and previous to that, was in the Ask the Cue Maker Forum asking how to taper a shaft.

Good one there, Joe Blow. How are those Smegmalodon shafts coming BTW?

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
instead of putting a clear pad on every tip, why not put a clear pad on the shaft and when your retipping it, just cut off the old tip down to the pad? I have had pads for years and 10,12,15 tips beforeI changed out the pad. Seems to me thats the way to go, I dont buy this notion of tips sucking up glue one bit. I play with tips until the side is almost down to the ferrel I start them low @ 3/32" I aint ever never once seen a incident with glue or a tip getting funny rom what ever adhesive is used, I have had layered tips get hard as a rock from the glue holding them together migrating between the layers.

I like their chalk, and tips, and the girl in the clear tip ad posted above, but I call BS on the clear pad. looks cool, so install a clear pad and recycle(justput new tips on it again and again.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
instead of putting a clear pad on every tip, why not put a clear pad on the shaft and when your retipping it, just cut off the old tip down to the pad? I have had pads for years and 10,12,15 tips beforeI changed out the pad. Seems to me thats the way to go, I dont buy this notion of tips sucking up glue one bit. I play with tips until the side is almost down to the ferrel I start them low @ 3/32" I aint ever never once seen a incident with glue or a tip getting funny rom what ever adhesive is used, I have had layered tips get hard as a rock from the glue holding them together migrating between the layers.

I like their chalk, and tips, and the girl in the clear tip ad posted above, but I call BS on the clear pad. looks cool, so install a clear pad and recycle(justput new tips on it again and again.

Glue going through a layer due to bad installation is a well documented thing. So you not believing it doesn't mean anything.

We do not know how Kamui attaches the tip to the clear pad as they have not released that process to the public.

So just adding a pad to your ferrule would be pointless as you would still be gluing the tip and not the pad.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Lenny,
I know that Chris Mcreary had a prototype 'Clear' tip on one of his shafts last August when I saw him at the TAD Cup. You might wanna hit him up to see what he thinks of it.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
instead of putting a clear pad on every tip, why not put a clear pad on the shaft and when your retipping it, just cut off the old tip down to the pad?

You are missing the point. Go reread my post and report back.

-roger

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The clear pad is "specially" bonded to the leather tip with no adverse affects to the leather. I got one at the SBE and it hits/feels no different from the non-pad tips. What everyone else has said, all the pad does is block glue from being soaked into the bottom layers of the tip.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The purpose of the pad on the Kamui clear is to prevent the tip froam soaking up the glue. Not all cuemakers/cue repairmen use the same glues. I've used a "liquid" type CA glue and it soaked straight through an elkmaster before. I've since gone to Loctite Gel and have only had it soak in once.

Just because you haven't seen it, does not mean is hasn't happened before.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What everyone else has said, all the pad does is block glue from being soaked into the bottom layers of the tip.

I do wish Kamui would just say this, without all the "Clear Connection" crap in their ads. It addresses a known problem, no need to get all gimmicky.

-roger

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I hit with it a few times witha cue that Sarah Rousey let me use at the Mezz booth at SBE. I have a Kamui Black Super Soft on my cue with Ivory Ferrules. I tried the Kamui Clear Super Soft on a cue with non-ivory ferrules. The hit seemed harder then the black super soft I have had on my cue for at least 6 months. That could have been attributed to many things though (ie shaft, ferrule, how the tip was installed, etc...

TLDR version: The Clear Super Soft hit harder then the Black super soft when I tried it out.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do wish Kamui would just say this, without all the "Clear Connection" crap in their ads. It addresses a known problem, no need to get all gimmicky.

-roger

That's how marketing works. Add in a silly catchy gimmicky phrase and you've sold more already.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
You would certainly know a Joe Blow thread when you see one.

Coming from a guy that is supposedly building the best LD shaft anyone has ever known and previous to that, was in the Ask the Cue Maker Forum asking how to taper a shaft.

Good one there, Joe Blow. How are those Smegmalodon shafts coming BTW?

Hmmm, I find it funny how your in here ridculing the name of my shafts, when it wasnt to long ago you was pm'ing me telling me how your willing to try one ,and let you know when theyre ready.. For some reason the word hypocrite comes to mind..

But to answer your question,,,
The Shafts are coming along great Joe blue blow, the final product is finished,,thx for your interest...:thumbup::

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Nice try. I make my own shafts Bud.

What were you offering them for? $400.

But was I ridiculing your shafts or you for not knowing how to taper one.

I mean, I could give you a compliment about your idea but still think you are a Gazoon for bragging about
your craftsmanship and not knowing how to taper a shaft.

Last edited:

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui tips are good tips, except they glaze and get harder too quickly.

As for the clear pad to prevent the glue of getting into the leather, is Kamui saying that our fine cue repairmen in the US such as Joe Blackburn, Guido Orlandi, Steve Lomax and countless of others don't know how to properly install a tip -causing the tips to absorb the glue? And therefore Kamui has to do the clear pad? I mean, Kamui has to use some kind of glue between the clear pad and the tip for the tips to stay on, right?

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice try. I make my own shafts Bud.

What were you offering them for? $400.

But was I ridiculing your shafts or you for not knowing how to taper one.
I never had a set price for the shafts until recently,,which are going be sold at $170 each..

Your play on words with Megalodon, seemed more geared towards the shafts and there name,, rather then my question on how shafts are tapered..

That taper subject is moot,, because I have a very talented cue maker , whose brought my shafts design to life. Understand that you dont got to be a cue maker to have a idea that works well for cues..

Again I never claimed my shaft is the best, but without a doubt it is among the best, and embodies low deflection , feel, and stiffness , itll hold its own.

You did contact me with interst in this shaft, whether you admit it or not , you know you had ,and still have interest...

I was simply stating what op said in regards to the joe blow comment, those were his words ,, not mine..
Ive always enjoyed and respected your post, if my quoting lenny rubbed you the wrong way, that wasnt my intent,, on the the same hand dont expect a apology for your own mis-interpretation..

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glue going through a layer due to bad installation is a well documented thing. So you not believing it doesn't mean anything.

We do not know how Kamui attaches the tip to the clear pad as they have not released that process to the public.

So just adding a pad to your ferrule would be pointless as you would still be gluing the tip and not the pad.

good point, i dont use layered tips, didnt think of that