Morning smells...

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Nothing like the smell of a UPS Freight truck in the morning ;)

1_zpsylsgbx0q.jpg

2_zpsjccjctib.jpg

Last edited:

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
12x36 and has NSK bearings. DRO installed on the 13x40 is junk (glass scale). Getting a magnetic DRO from dropros.com in Sacramento, they are the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12x36 and has NSK bearings. DRO installed on the 13x40 is junk (glass scale). Getting a magnetic DRO from dropros.com in Sacramento, they are the best.

Nice :) It allready has the extra long spindle, so fitting a rear chuck will be super easy :)
Are you gonna stick with the 3 jaw or upgrade to a 6 jaw chuck?

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member

A DRO is junk because it has glass scales???

DRO Pros is the best at what? They have good customer service and the JUNK(glass..must be crap) DRO I bought from them is still more accurate than I am. I wouldn't dare say they are the best though.

Are they better than this unit from Fagor?

Attachments

• dro.JPG
    dro.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 848

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Randy,

Didn't want to hurt your feelings but glass scales for wood work is no good due to the wood dust. The magnetic is the only way to go, do your research. Yep Fagor is very good with magnetic linear scale.

William

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy, if you are interested in that Fagor, PM me. I have two of them and know two other guys using them.

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Randy,

Didn't want to hurt your feelings but glass scales for wood work is no good due to the wood dust. The magnetic is the only way to go, do your research. Yep Fagor is very good with magnetic linear scale.

Well, if you take time to do your research you'd realize that DRO Pros(the place I recommended to you when you called me for advice on your recent purchase) didn't have magnetic scales back when I bought my DRO.......

What you said is "glass scales are junk". You didn't enlighten the masses with your knowledge regarding why. All I know is mine still work great after 4 or 5 years.

What you said or implied is the DRO Pros DRO's are the best. Again you didn't explain why.

You call me on the phone and ask for my advice. I tell you the 13x40 is the way to go... I tell you DRO Pros is the way to go. I tell you the import 6 jaw Grizzly has is reported to be very good or as good as the Bison.

I really don't care that you ignored most of my advice, but don't tell me I need to do MY research. I will also ask that, while I may have posted last night, you don't call my phone at 1030PM to give me a piece of your mind because you didn't like what I said.

Congratulations on you new stuff. I hope it serves you well.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I apologize. Maybe DROPros had the magnetic when I got mine, I just didn't see the need for the extra expense. If these ever mess up, maybe I'll change my mind.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Well, if you take time to do your research you'd realize that DRO Pros(the place I recommended to you when you called me for advice on your recent purchase) didn't have magnetic scales back when I bought my DRO.......

What you said is "glass scales are junk". You didn't enlighten the masses with your knowledge regarding why. All I know is mine still work great after 4 or 5 years.

What you said or implied is the DRO Pros DRO's are the best. Again you didn't explain why.

You call me on the phone and ask for my advice. I tell you the 13x40 is the way to go... I tell you DRO Pros is the way to go. I tell you the import 6 jaw Grizzly has is reported to be very good or as good as the Bison.

I really don't care that you ignored most of my advice, but don't tell me I need to do MY research. I will also ask that, while I may have posted last night, you don't call my phone at 1030PM to give me a piece of your mind because you didn't like what I said.

Congratulations on you new stuff. I hope it serves you well.

You need to call me down bud...
The reason why your glass scales work well is because they have not seen enough wood dust yet, that's all or you are just plain lucky.
Yep, l did listen to what you said, but based on my budget and on what would make more sense to me at this point, I got the 12x36. I want to get a second lathe (13x40) as soon as I purchase a new home.
Keep in mind that an advice is an advice and is much appreciated...
Now, go back working and using your lathes and try to break that glass DRO by creating wood dust ;)
When are you going to post pictures of your cues so we can see some of your work?

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
You need to call me down bud...
The reason why your glass scales work well is because they have not seen enough wood dust yet, that's all or you are just plain lucky.
Yep, l did listen to what you said, but based on my budget and on what would make more sense to me at this point, I got the 12x36. I want to get a second lathe (13x40) as soon as I purchase a new home.
Keep in mind that an advice is an advice and is much appreciated...
Now, go back working and using your lathes and try to break that glass DRO by creating wood dust ;)
When are you going to post pictures of your cues so we can see some of your work?

I AM calm and you should have gotten the 1340 and an import 6 jaw instead of the Bison. I could have also found you a lather here, that was better, for less money(including having it shipped). None of that matters now and I hope it all works out for you.

What I'd like you to do is share some sources regarding glass failing, when installed correctly, in ANY environment. Magnetic, I'm sure, is better. However, I'd really like you to qualify/quantify your statement.

cost savings
12x36 instead of 1340=875.00

cost increase.
Bison + 600.00(roughly...including stupid expensive genuine backplate)
DRO + 400.00

For the benefit of anyone reading this, and myself, I'd like to understand the reasons. Obviously, if you think the 36 isn't a compromise then that is not an issue. I'm just curious as to why you didn't choose to at least try the import 6 jaw...?

I just think you did it backwards is all. If anything I would have certainly put off the DRO and gotten the bigger lathe...

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I AM calm and you should have gotten the 1340 and an import 6 jaw instead of the Bison. I could have also found you a lather here, that was better, for less money(including having it shipped). None of that matters now and I hope it all works out for you.

What I'd like you to do is share some sources regarding glass failing, when installed correctly, in ANY environment. Magnetic, I'm sure, is better. However, I'd really like you to qualify/quantify your statement.

cost savings
12x36 instead of 1340=875.00

cost increase.
Bison + 600.00(roughly...including stupid expensive genuine backplate)
DRO + 400.00

For the benefit of anyone reading this, and myself, I'd like to understand the reasons. Obviously, if you think the 36 isn't a compromise then that is not an issue. I'm just curious as to why you didn't choose to at least try the import 6 jaw...?

I just think you did it backwards is all. If anything I would have certainly put off the DRO and gotten the bigger lathe...

Randy,

Mainly a space constraint. You can talk to any machinist about the DRO they would pick and they will say magnetic. The Bison will be next. Can only do one thing at a time. Just recovering from a 1 year divorce and equipment sold by the "ex" without my knowledge.
Shows us a bit of your cues bud...

sileighty_guru

5A Grade Wood Pecker
Silver Member
Why does each and every post on here always turn negative? As I am unaware of any history, past or present conversations, etc... why do these need to be taken up on a public forum? The post was just sharing that he got a new piece of equipment :thumbup: (don't really care what it cost or why he went with it) if it works for him so be it! Advice is advice no more, if we all did things alike and used the same equipment we might as well start selling our cues at Walmart because there would be no difference in them.

The man is rebuilding a shop rattled with divorce woes... I say good job for getting back on your feet!

As for the DRO's I have not a clue, lol I built my own Bluetooth bersion that works for me!

https://youtu.be/xLXaCZLrecY

https://youtu.be/S8DVFmKoiLw