Does anyone else think ....

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
... that it is almost sacrilege to pay $500 for a carbon fiber shaft and put it on a beautiful birds eye maple shaft with expensive inlays? I admit I'm old and old school but really??? All the hype about the most accurate shaft and blah, blah blah but really isn't this just blaming the arrow instead of the archer??? When I see Efren start using one then maybe, just maybe I'll change my view. Interested in my fellow AZBer's viewpoints.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not at all..... people should use what they are comfortable with or what suits their playing style. I also don't get where "everyone" comes up with the crap that this shaft will make them a world beater. Please show me one person who said that. Its just a shaft.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I am not adverse to new technology....I come from golf.
...but I have asked on here what does one of these shafts do that my wood shaft can’t.
.....I have not been impressed by the responses.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Not at all..... people should use what they are comfortable with or what suits their playing style. I also don't get where "everyone" comes up with the crap that this shaft will make them a world beater. Please show me one person who said that. Its just a shaft.

I agree concerning the first part of your response ... yes, people should use what they are comfortable with etc. The advertising to promote the shaft indicates that it is the best ever etc, etc. I also mentioned I'm old school but never too old to try something new. I bought a LD shaft due mainly to all the promotional BS. My opinion is that it was different, not necessarily better. Spent decades adjusting in my aim and then with the new shaft had to alter my game. I went back to my regular shafts. Just my humble opinion. Obviously I am comfortable with a maple shaft which suits my playing style.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
...but I have asked on here what does one of these shafts do that my wood shaft can’t.

That is exactly why I made the thread. Hey, new can be better but I've a few $$$ on good looking cues that I have no desire to stick a carbon fiber shaft on. Just my two cents. :smile:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yet even pro players are jumping on board and not because they are sponsored that in it's self should be a reason to take notice, I've hit several and waiting on mine now , at the very least I know one thing they will never have a table role like every other ld shaft I have does eventually, truth is I told a vender about it he rolled 50 brand new never used shafts and half had a roll ,,

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Yet even pro players are jumping on board and not because they are sponsored that in it's self should be a reason to take notice, I've hit several and waiting on mine now , at the very least I know one thing they will never have a table role like every other ld shaft I have does eventually, truth is I told a vender about it he rolled 50 brand new never used shafts and half had a roll ,,

While that may be true and even if there is a microscopic difference in accuracy you are talking about pros. For $500 do you think this translates to the regular Joe, whether a top shortstop or just a C+ to B+ player?

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree concerning the first part of your response ... yes, people should use what they are comfortable with etc. The advertising to promote the shaft indicates that it is the best ever etc, etc. I also mentioned I'm old school but never too old to try something new. I bought a LD shaft due mainly to all the promotional BS. My opinion is that it was different, not necessarily better. Spent decades adjusting in my aim and then with the new shaft had to alter my game. I went back to my regular shafts. Just my humble opinion. Obviously I am comfortable with a maple shaft which suits my playing style.

Right.. so we agree that a player should use what suits them best. Whether that's a house cue or a $10K custom. As far as the marketing hype that Predator puts out, you just need to take that with a grain of salt. Of course they are going to hype it up .. just like every other company out there trying to sell their product. I just get tired of so many people saying that Revo users expect that they will become pro's over night because of the Revo. I have never seen or heard anyone say anything like that. There are many that love them .. again ... just a s I have read regarding many many other shafts / cues. No different.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
... that it is almost sacrilege to pay $500 for a carbon fiber shaft and put it on a beautiful birds eye maple shaft with expensive inlays? I admit I'm old and old school but really??? All the hype about the most accurate shaft and blah, blah blah but really isn't this just blaming the arrow instead of the archer??? When I see Efren start using one then maybe, just maybe I'll change my view. Interested in my fellow AZBer's viewpoints.

IMHO? It's all BS. Now, of course, there are tons of people here who will tell me I'm an idiot for saying that, but... IMHO? All BS.

Babe Cranfield ran 768 balls playing 14.1. Carbon fiber / LD shaft? Ummm... no.
Earl ran 11 racks for a million. Carbon fiber / LD shaft? Ummm... no.
Archer ran 13 racks on Bustamonte. Carbon fiber / LD shaft? Ummm... no.
Ronnie Allen busted 2,886,913 people playing one hole. Carbon fiber / LD shaft? Ummm... you guessed it. No.

Will a carbon fiber / LD shaft make me play better? Possibly. Am I gonna bet 500.00 ( on the shaft ) to find out? Uhhh... nope.

IMHO? Total BS. Nice marketing, though.

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO? It's all BS. Now, of course, there are tons of people here who will tell me I'm an idiot for saying that, but... IMHO? All BS.

Babe Cranfield ran 768 balls playing 14.1. Carbon fiber / LD shaft? Ummm... no.
Earl ran 11 racks for a million. Carbon fiber / LD shaft? Ummm... no.
Archer ran 13 racks on Bustamonte. Carbon fiber / LD shaft? Ummm... no.
Ronnie Allen busted 2,886,913 people playing one hole. Carbon fiber / LD shaft? Ummm... you guessed it. No.

Will a carbon fiber / LD shaft make me play better? Possibly. Am I gonna bet 500.00 ( on the shaft ) to find out? Uhhh... nope.

IMHO? Total BS. Nice marketing, though.

You do realize that the Revo shaft was not even made when the records you posted were made? Maybe not.. lol

Also ... there are more expensive cues and shafts out there. $500 for a shaft may be alot to you, but its not to many people.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While that may be true and even if there is a microscopic difference in accuracy you are talking about pros. For $500 do you think this translates to the regular Joe, whether a top shortstop or just a C+ to B+ player?

again ... what difference does that make? Its just a shaft. Some will hate it, some will love it. Will it make any level player a world beater... not unless they already were :)

Trying to understand what you are getting at ....

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not blaming the arrow its that there is a better arrow for some.

Pros can play damn good pool with anything but they are pros. its not just a title its a skill level and they are at the top due to their abilities. The equipment matters a little less as they can adapt better and have unique abilities and skills.

Us not so gifted guys try and do what we can do to make our lack of unique skills and abilities show up less.

It doesn't make since not to use technology.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
You do realize that the Revo shaft was not even made when the records you posted were made? Maybe not.. lolhttps://forums.azbilliards.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=6148262

Also ... there are more expensive cues and shafts out there. $500 for a shaft may be alot to you, but its not to many people.

Well, not only do I realize it, but that was EXACTLY my point. :yeah:

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Its not blaming the arrow its that there is a better arrow for some.

Pros can play damn good pool with anything but they are pros. its not just a title its a skill level and they are at the top due to their abilities. The equipment matters a little less as they can adapt better and have unique abilities and skills.

Us not so gifted guys try and do what we can do to make our lack of unique skills and abilities show up less.

It doesn't make since not to use technology.

Unless the technology is worthless! :grin:

Just teasing... you've a point well made. My point, simply, was most of the best players ever didn't use those shafts and they didn't seem to suffer much for it. And to defend your point, anything that can help someone play better, even if it's a placebo, is a good thing.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Yes its crazy to pay that kind of cash for a shaft....but if I had the lettuce I would get one. Why not? I have nearly everything else that is related to the game.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Sacrilege? No.

What I do hold sacred is that in America we can pretty much do WTF we want, within legal bounds.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sacrilege? No.

What I do hold sacred is that in America we can pretty much do WTF we want, within legal bounds.

What??? You mean I can buy whatever I want without having to check and see if the guys on the pool forum think its cool? :duck:

uW2eh5b.gif

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I have it on good authority (okay, my magic 8 ball) that SVB has tremors of fear when an opponent shows up with a Revo shaft...:rolleyes: