Beginners cue?

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning all.
I have searched but the threads results are stale.

I'm looking for your current thoughts on what cue would be best for a beginner. I am looking to spend around $150 - $350.
Is that reasonable?
What are the most solid brands.
The Brunswick branded cues that came when I purchased the table are 2 piece wood of varying weights of 18-21 oz.
I like the 19 oz the best & use the 21 pz to break.

Thoughts?
Best Joe

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Outlaw or players brand is fine for a beginner

McDermott is in that price range with good quality and lifetime warranty american made

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke, McDermott and Viking all make very good cues at more than reasonable prices.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Players. Solid, good feeling cues at a great price.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
New or used?
McDermott is always a good choice. Quality product Many different "levels" of cues and
shafts, lots of choices and price ranges.
The old Vikings are also nice cues for a beginner.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to say consider a Lucasi.
My Lucasi is 9 years old.
It's still straight.
No rattles or noises.
The finish still looks like new.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Outlaw or players brand is fine for a beginner

McDermott is in that price range with good quality and lifetime warranty american made

Yep, agree on this. Players has all cues in that price range. McDermott has many players positive feedback as well. Can't speak for Outlaw but I'll take your word for it.

Some of the best play I've seen [at the time] about 10 years ago, the kid was using a $90 players.

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't mind used, go on over to the Classifieds Wanted section and start a post with your price range. You may be able to pick up a decent used Pechauer, Joss, or Jacoby in the $300 range. Make sure your Inbox has room, you're likely to get flooded with offers.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
A beat up dufferin house cue was the best hittin cue i ever picked up
But finding that one that meshes with you might not be so easy

Dufferin as well for quality affordable great playing cues is another option

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Ohh that Shmelke is hackberry, but based on the 19 ounces they mighta put something different in the handle, just speculating

I had a all hackberry butted cue, whole cue was 14 ounces and felt like the deadest brittle thing ever
I had to send it back
I have a spalted maple cue thats more solid, but it mighta been stabilized

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend a Schmelke but not the 60” hackberry. Hackberry is a very light wood and the weight bolt in these makes the balance point feel very end heavy. My weight bolt was HUGE and weighed about 6 ounces. I’ve had one and sold it. I’ve had a lot of Schmelkes and it’s the only one I didn’t like.