GF+pool = good or bad?

GF+pool= good or bad?!

• Buy her a cue!

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Dont buy her a cue! Let the lady figure it out herself if she wants to buy one!

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Wait and play then buy!

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So im thinking about getting my GF into pool (sorry guys i know this is a semi common subject on these forums LOL) and she says she has interest and she wants to get really good (right now just to show off but hey shes just starting! How many of us started playing seriously because we wanted to show off, or teach girls how to play pool? ) Anyways the reason is enough for me to be convinced that she wants to play.

So question!
Do i get her her first cue? Just a cheapo one 80-150 range if ya no what im talking about. You know just to get the ball rolling get her more serious about it. Facilitate the consistency aspect of the game. Or is it best to wait for her to buy her own cue? (you know women though... might never happen LOL)

If you guys think i should buy her a cue what brands or what path you think i should take?
I was thinking Star cues by Mcdermott because the pin would match mine and if she wanted she could use any of my shafts :wink:

Anyone have experiences with Star cues? Or just comment with another make that hits good regardless of pin really.

Im not just doing this for her btw! I have a 2nd motive! If she become really good i now have a easy present for any given event! Lucasi L-L30! I think its a really really damn beautiful cue for a lady. Better than those ugly all bright pink ones that look like it would fill the pool hall with pink light if you played with it.

K guys thanks all for your input!

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Play first. Cue later IMO. I would probably say tip tool before cue to clean up the tip on whatever cue of the night she plays with.

IMO, a cue comes when you are consistent enough to feel the difference, or you play often enough that finding a decent cue on the wall is just a pain.

Then get a basic pj or sp type.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
If you play-play pool girlies, and most everything else, is fine.

If you are serious about pool and make it a career or use it to supplement your income then:

girls have been the ruin of many a po boy

and lawd i know i'm one

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play first. Cue later IMO. I would probably say tip tool before cue to clean up the tip on whatever cue of the night she plays with.

IMO, a cue comes when you are consistent enough to feel the difference, or you play often enough that finding a decent cue on the wall is just a pain.

Then get a basic pj or sp type.

Dilemma with this because i let her use my cue and we just switch back and forth. I dont have a problem with it personally because to me its a cue. To not let someone use it (esp someone you trust to not damage it) is like valuing your cue above them. Just a personal opinion. I would feel bad to let her use the house cues if shes comfortable using my cue. And i also let people use my cue so i can prove to them its not the cue its the player >=]!

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Dilemma with this because i let her use my cue and we just switch back and forth. I dont have a problem with it personally because to me its a cue. To not let someone use it (esp someone you trust to not damage it) is like valuing your cue above them. Just a personal opinion. I would feel bad to let her use the house cues if shes comfortable using my cue. And i also let people use my cue so i can prove to them its not the cue its the player >=]!

Well give her your cue and buy yourself something nice. :)
Better yet, lend her your cue, that way if things don't work out you can get your cue back.

She might be offended though if you present her a used cue as a gift, now or in the future.

I've been down this road myself and lost a couple of nice Schulers, player and a break cue.

The problem of sharing and lending etc. is that if you ever play in leagues or tournaments or with friends is that you may not have a cue to shoot with when she wants to play with someone besides you.

When I finally bought my wife her first cue. I let her pick it out, because her tastes in design did not come close to what I look for in a cue.

She said she loved the cue and played with it for a year then quit playing pool.

I would let her play for 6 months to a year and see if she is really serious about the game.

JMHO

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Dont buy her a cue because if you split she'll have her new boyfriend use it instead of her.

I know this first hand
tosser.gif
uhoh.gif

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Get her to the pool hall and gauge her interest.

2. LET HER WIN! This isn't time for you to show off; it's time for you to get her interested in the game. Don't expect her to be excited about pool if she knows she will be pulverized everytime she plays. Noone likes to lose.

3. Recommend league play as a way to spend time together and meet lots of people.

4. If she agrees, then you buy a cheap pool stick for her.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Why don't you take her out and buy her an ice cream cone instead. You'll thank me later. :wink:

markatwork

One foot on the floor
Silver Member
i say good

i would buy her one...just a cheap one cause you never know the return you will get on it

2009BCAPressReleaseJeanetteLeeMotorCycle.jpg

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
use male logic to convince her that she needs a low key sneaky peat type of cue, and then if you guys break up or she quits playing you can use the cue with dignity:grin: if it works out that she has an true interrest then you can get her a better player and use the "sneaky" for a break cue.

kyo1128

Risa Yoshiki is HOT also
Silver Member
use male logic to convince her that she needs a low key sneaky peat type of cue, and then if you guys break up or she quits playing you can use the cue with dignity:grin: if it works out that she has an true interrest then you can get her a better player and use the "sneaky" for a break cue.

I bought my gf a cheap sneaky ($90). Two weeks later, she bought new Mezz from the internet. I asked her why? She said it looks like a house cue.

DMTY

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
Buy yourself a cue first and let her use your old one for a while. Then maybe buy her a cue if she continues to show intrest. If you're relationship is like mine she probably doesn't shoot pool without you. Then you just carry her cue in your case, and you won't have to worry about losing it.

Also if this is a relatively new relationship I don't recommend league yet. I made that mistake once, and when things go south next thing you know you are short a SL2 or 3 and you can't make handicap and its awkward if she shows up and throws your game off and you loose matches you shouldn't and she gets all upset when you hit on other girls and makes a scene..................

Just sayin

Last edited:

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member

2. LET HER WIN! This isn't time for you to show off; it's time for you to get her interested in the game. Don't expect her to be excited about pool if she knows she will be pulverized everytime she plays. Noone likes to lose.

Find out if she has a competitive streak or not before you let her win. If she has one and is the determined sort, beat her as bad as possible so she'll want to learn how to play better to get even with you.

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

3. Recommend league play as a way to spend time together and meet lots of people.

4. If she agrees, then you buy a cheap pool stick for her.

How would you recomend letting her win? Giving her a huge spot? How do you give a spot in 8 ball btw? I want to switch up games once in awhile because each game works on something different to improve her game.

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy her a cue if you feel that she has enough interest and you can afford it, but buy her the cue she picks out--she doesn't have your tastes, I guarantee. Worst case, it sits in a closet.

Well, no, I guess worst case is that she starts seeing you as a mark who will buy her anything for whatever reason, stops respecting you, starts sleeping with a jobless ass, takes the cue, your car (she likes driving, right?), your dog and your balls.

I guess that would be bad, so don't buy her a cue. What is the worst that could happen? Probably the worst that would happen is that she would think that you don't support her, she cries a lot, throws a few things at you, sleeps with a rich seventy-year old who will buy her anything, gets pregnant while he dies of a stroke, comes back to you, convinces you that it is your kid, whom you raise and send to college. Only after this does she tell you the truth. You divorce her, she ends up with the house, the car, the friends and all of your cues.

Dude. This girl sounds like a complete psycho, I have come to the conclusion that you should break up with her post haste and spend much more time in your local pool hall.

LMFAO that was the best. Greens for you man

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy yourself a cue first and let her use your old one for a while. Then maybe buy her a cue if she continues to show intrest. If you're relationship is like mine she probably doesn't shoot pool without you. Then you just carry her cue in your case, and you won't have to worry about losing it.

Also if this is a relatively new relationship I don't recommend league yet. I made that mistake once, and when things go south next thing you know you are short a SL2 or 3 and you can't make handicap and its awkward if she shows up and throws your game off and you loose matches you shouldn't and she gets all upset when you hit on other girls and makes a scene..................

Just sayin

Just wondering i hope this isnt because i completely missed this info.

Why in gods name would we need 2 playing cues o_O?! I never understood this concept. Like having more than one playing cue fine but carrying 2+ playing cues in your case when you take it to a tournament i could never understand. Shed some light on this for me please!

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hate to say it but girlfriends come and go.

Also, consider this. If you buy her a cue and your desire to play is stronger than hers, perhaps there will be times when she will be made to feel guilty about not wanting to play with you. Can't be good and may become a bone of contention.

(1) Buy yourself a new cue. Determine which one is your primary player. Let her borrow your secondary player whenever she wants. As to why people (like myself) carry two playing cues:

(a) a tip may pop off, or

(b) you might want to lend a cue to a friend who doesn't have one (and, in particular, both of you can't play with the same cue at different tables in say a tournament), and/or

(c) use it as a break cue (to save wear and tear on the tip on your primary player).

(2) After your GF plays for a while and gets serious, then by all means buy her the cue of her choice for Christmas or b'day if she (preferably) hasn't already purchased one on her own.

DMTY

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
Just wondering i hope this isnt because i completely missed this info.

Why in gods name would we need 2 playing cues o_O?! I never understood this concept. Like having more than one playing cue fine but carrying 2+ playing cues in your case when you take it to a tournament i could never understand. Shed some light on this for me please!

I don't need two playing cues. I carry my cue a jump/break, and her cue. My case has the room for it, and I don't think an extra 19oz is going to make it too much of an inconvenience. Besides I could just take her cue out when I know I don't need it. Another reason I carry her cue is because she just doesn't want to.

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Woops sorry DMTY just reread my post. I ment to put
Why I would need two playing cues
not WE.