ob classic pro/Z2 deflection

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the z2 has lower deflection than the classic pro. but the classic pro is no slouch, it deflects similar to the 314-2, still very low. the only shaft that i've found comparable to the z2 in terms of deflection is the ob-2.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What he said. Although it is worth pointing out that I think the OB Classic has much nicer feel. More solid and lets me feel the cueball better.

KMRUNOUT

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one thing i forgot is that the tapers are pretty different. both z2 and classic pro are the same tip diameter, but the z2 feels thinner as the taper doesn't grow that quickly. the ob shaft isn't as thin in the stroking area. I prefer the ob taper as it makes a small tipped shaft not feel like a pencil. the ob shafts also tend to be a little heavier on average.

encore

Banned
the z2 has lower deflection than the classic pro. but the classic pro is no slouch, it deflects similar to the 314-2, still very low. the only shaft that i've found comparable to the z2 in terms of deflection is the ob-2.

Are you saying the ob-2 has less deflection then the classic pro model?

encore

Banned
ok, I did not know that, I guess I thought they would be the same, thanks for the info.

Last edited:

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the SS360 shaft from Bob Danielson at 11,75mm has the same low deflection as the Z2 but with a lot more feel to it .

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying the ob-2 has less deflection then the classic pro model?

yes, the ob-2 has a wood ferrule that is lighter than the plastic ferrule on the classic pro. very small changes to the weight on the very tip end can have a noticeable effect on deflection. both are very low deflection though.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Guess I'll agree with both of you. I really like my OB-2, BUT I LOVE my Z-2.

I had both of them cut down to 11.4 mm. tapers are slightly different.

I'll use the Z-2 on a 9 ft table, and the OB-2 on the BB tables. I have no probs swapping them ,but for preference that's how they play for me.

A lot of ppl are becoming Z-2 fanatics. I may be joining that crowd. :smile:

Montana Mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I'll agree with both of you. I really like my OB-2, BUT I LOVE my Z-2.

I had both of them cut down to 11.4 mm. tapers are slightly different.

I'll use the Z-2 on a 9 ft table, and the OB-2 on the BB tables. I have no probs swapping them ,but for preference that's how they play for me.

A lot of ppl are becoming Z-2 fanatics. I may be joining that crowd. :smile:

Count yourself lucky to be able to switch back and forth. I was trying to show someone a few shots the other day and was trying to use his Z2 and I couldn't come close. I use a CP. Not that one is better than the other just I have no chance switching back and forth.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Count yourself lucky to be able to switch back and forth. I was trying to show someone a few shots the other day and was trying to use his Z2 and I couldn't come close. I use a CP. Not that one is better than the other just I have no chance switching back and forth.

Thanks,
There is a lil bit of difference in "squirt" between the 2 shafts. I think it may be a bit easier for me because I starte with the OB2, then got the Z2 later on. The "Z" moves very little. Given the same angle and speed,
i can(usually, :embarrassed2: ), spot whitey very close with the Z2, and its more of a small area (thereabouts) with the OB2. I still like 'em both but given what I said , you can understand why I like the "Z" on the bigger table.