Cue shaft spec's

Tickets

Little Aussie Battler
Silver Member
G'day everyone,

I've going to send my snooker cue to another state for a guy to make me a 9ball shaft here in Australia. There is the option to customise what I'd like though it will be hard to describe it over email. I'm happy to go with generic stats so any info would be great.

I understand my question is very much like "how long is a piece of string", but could anyone point me in the right direction of a few things?

•usual tip diameter, say on a 314.
•usual ferrule length
• shaft diameter nearest the joint.
• common taper distance from the tip or ferrule.

Again, any info would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'll take a first shot at it:

tip diameter: 12.75-13mm is typical. 13mm is classic full size, most of the high tech low deflection shafts are 12.75mm. But not unusual to see shafts as thin as 11.75mm.

ferrule lengths have changed a lot. the classic length is 1", but nowadays you see shorter ferrules quite often, especially on the LD shafts. could be as short as 1/4". a smaller ferrule will generally reduce deflection a bit. the construction could be any combination of threaded, unthreaded, capped or through.

joint diameter is usually somewhere around .840"-.850"

I normally think of a "pro taper" in terms of 1mm growth over some length, but I'm sure others have their own definitions. A typical american pool shaft usually has a taper of around 12-15", a shorter taper usually being stiffer. for thin shafts, you also do see a euro type conical taper.

I'm sure others will weigh in as well.

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
My 2 cents: The thicker you have him make it the more leeway in making changes. Like pro taper for 9 to 12 inches. If you start with the same thickness at for 9" it could always be changed to 12" then curve to joint.

G'day everyone,

I've going to send my snooker cue to another state for a guy to make me a 9ball shaft here in Australia. There is the option to customise what I'd like though it will be hard to describe it over email. I'm happy to go with generic stats so any info would be great.

I understand my question is very much like "how long is a piece of string", but could anyone point me in the right direction of a few things?

•usual tip diameter, say on a 314.
•usual ferrule length
• shaft diameter nearest the joint.
• common taper distance from the tip or ferrule.

Again, any info would be helpful. Thank you in advance.