Cue Hit Analysis

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello all cue makers, scientists and anyone curious about cue hit characteristics.

During the development of the accelerometer for pool stroke analysis, I noticed reflections in the Z axis acceleration data due to reflections rattling up and down the cue after the cue ball was hit. I suspect these signals have something to do with cue construction or "cue hit". Things like joint material, ferrule material, tip type, wood type etc etc. I wrote a program specifically to analyze those signals. The program and hardware allows for acquiring the Z axis data from the cue hit, then takes the time domain data and does a Fast Fourier Transform of the time data to the frequency domain.

The following image shows a typical cue hit being analyzed. The top signal shows the raw data as captured. The middle signal is the data thats been trimmed for analysis. The bottom signal is the frequency components of the trimmed data. Markers have been applied to show the frequency peaks. Note the marks at location 5, 15, 171, 252, 334 and 409 hz. Those peaks are signal frequencies that are reflected up and down the cue after the cue ball is hit.

CueHitAnalyzer.jpg

I am not saying I understand these signals or frequencies or how they relate to a cue's hit. The time domain data alone maybe useful by itself. I created the program for the curious cue maker or persons interested in quantifying a cue's hit. Maybe the information is useful, maybe not. Years ago I remember seeing a documentary about the tonal analysis of a Stradivarius violin and that got me thinking about this type of frequency analysis. Maybe this tool can help cuemaker's analyze and create cues that hit similar to the old classics or make thier own cue's hit with a designed repeatible hit. Imagine a cue maker is ask by a customer for a cue with a hit similar to a Super Dupper brand cue. That Super Duper brand cue should have a specific hit frequency spectrum. Building a cue with a specific hit MIGHT be easier to build if the cue maker knows how his and other cue designs hit.

This is something new for the pool world and cue makers, I'd like to see this new hardware and software utilized to hopefully improve cue making.

Initially I will give away the program for free with the purchase of the accelerometer hardware that is required to utilize the program. The cost of the hardware and software program that runs on a Windows pc is $100.

Let me know if you need more details, your interested or have questions.

Cheers
Bob

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well I am sure this technology will be appreciated by those fascinated by the word "HIT", but IMHO the human factor of how one feels on a certain day, and how heavy or light a Cue feels on a certain day will effect the real interpretation of hit by people testing, or playing with a Cue.

Today my Cue felt heavy to me, the same Cue I was playing with yesterday, and personally noticed nothing out of the norm able the Cues Weight yesterday. I am talking about this human.

This technology is long over due, having a scientific way to measure "HIT", but I seriously doubt many forum members will be jumping on this technology.

JMHO, and I could be very wrong.

aquaurchin99

Let's Make A Deal
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Seems like a very interesting piece of technology to mess around with. Maybe it's not revolutionary, maybe it is... but it seems like something neat. Maybe it will have some influence in cue building or cue selection, or maybe it will just be a cool way to compare your cue to someone else's.

Either way we'll just have to wait and see :) GLWS!

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
140   3   0
Reletively speaking

Tips change everything. Matching tips with Cue flexing is something to thing about.

Nick :)

broken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've thought about this for years, glad someone took action.

1) pictures of your set up
2) what kind of cues did you record?
3) any low deflection cues?
4) I'd love to see the profile of an infamous Southwest and see how that stacks up against a typical McDermott, Predator, or Schon.

Thanks