Crepe Myrtle for cues?

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello AZ Cuemakers!
Got a question for the wood guru's. Ran across some nice Burly pieces of Crepe Myrtle. Far as I can tell it's also called "Pyinma" also marketed as "Satinwood".

Has anyone ever used it in a cue? Looks pretty soft, but has some really nice figure in some pieces that show up on Google.

Wondering if it would be worth cutting and sticking in the wood collection.
I've attached some pics.

http://www.wood-database.com/pyinma/

IMG_5511.jpg

IMG_5512.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have a stash of it, as it can be really figured....the stuff I have is and will be used sparingly..lol. It should be cored, IMO.
Dave

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
its pretty common in louisiana and the south its pretty rigid makes wonderful canes but its a tad light and closer to cherry in density than maple.

it dries pretty easy and is mostly stable when drying. Because of how they groow and twist you do find lots of figure and burls but often at least in the trees ive cut up over the years there just isn't much of it big enough to use.

at least here in america most of the trees are ornamental/dwarf size

we do have some extremely old and large ones tho but its very rare anyone will cut one down.

it would def need coring but may work as is, good for a light jump handle

as a forearm or handle it would make the cue duck and absorb the hit alot

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input, AZ! On a property I'm working, has an old home site that had two planted and they have been untouched for quite some time and looks to have a nice Burl and nasty bark. Think I'll cut them, paint the ends and stick in my wood stash, might be nice, might not. But, won't hurt to have them squirreled away maybe one day they turn into something nice.
I'm not a cuemaker, just a wood junky and like to have wood for when I get a crazy idea! Still looking for the elusive Texas Ebony!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Thanks for the input, AZ! On a property I'm working, has an old home site that had two planted and they have been untouched for quite some time and looks to have a nice Burl and nasty bark. Think I'll cut them, paint the ends and stick in my wood stash, might be nice, might not. But, won't hurt to have them squirreled away maybe one day they turn into something nice.

I'm not a cuemaker, just a wood junky and like to have wood for when I get a crazy idea! Still looking for the elusive Texas Ebony!

Keep it indoors beetles like it (crepe myrtle)

If you peel the smooth bark off the wood turns purple on its outer layer for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk