Fixing American Pool by forming the NBL (National Billiards League) & PBA Tour!!!

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Sounds neat. Hope it works out.

What sanctioned locations are hosting in Maryland?

A location and 2 tournament directors have been appointed for Maryland. Announcements coming soon! Start saving up your entry fees!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck to you. This reminds me of the N.U.T.S tour about 10 years ago, and Joe T's American Rotation Tour 5 years ago. I don't think the N.U.T.S lasted even one year. Joe T's lasted 2 or 3. I think he would have lasted longer if he stuck to 9 ball.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Well, he runs a large and successful poolroom, so there's at least one room "signed on". There have been many high level matches take place at his room before, so its not exactly an unknown entity proposing all this.

I'm rooting for it to take off.

Thank you for that validation Justadub. :thumbup:

Can't blame anyone that's not familiar with me or my credentials for being cautious.

I try to be a modest individual, a gracious gentleman and a professional at all times. I don't like to boast or even talk about myself. I do express how blessed I have been to be so well connected and trusted by many in the industry. To satisfy those curious:

2) I also serve as TD at the International Open,

3) Emcee / Refferee at Derby City Classic

4) ICEA board member and American Ambassador to JOY Chinese 8-Ball

5) Board of Directors (Pool Room Representative) for the governing body of USA
pool, the Billiard Congress of America

6) Affiliated with Pat Fleming and Accu-Stats Video Productions

7) Have a great report with every industry mover and shaker promoter

8) Great connections and relations with all the major sponsors and companies

9) Good relationship with all the professional players

10) Have worked on several projects for pool here in the US all the way to China

11) Currently house Earl Strickland as house pro at Sandcastle Billiards

12) House Accu-Stats On Location at Sandcastle as well

13) Currently in my mid 40's and able to stick around for the next 30 years or so :lol:

14) College educated, background in engineering & technology

15) Been involved in pool for over 25 years

16) Have organized and promoted several smaller events of my own

17) Known to be a man of integrity

18) Have a great knowledge and passion for the game

19) Left behind 2 careers to dedicate my life to the game

20) WILLING TO STEP UP AND DO SOMETHING TO FIX THINGS FOR THE
BETTERMENT OF THE GAME AND ALL THE PLAYERS FOREVER

Any questions? LOL

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Ed, I wish you luck in this endeavor. You have some very lofty goals here. As a businessman I would want to see the sustainability of your program, how it will be funded and continue to grow and expand. I look forward to seeing your business plan. Please PM me when you have one. I might be interested in coming on board if it looks workable.

Thank you Jay! I'll DEFINITELY be reaching out to you soon sir!

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
You say: "If pool is to make a comeback, it will be through organized professionalism infused with class."

I don't view it as classy to use a tour name/acronym that is the same as or similar to what another sport uses, hoping for rub-off viewership or prestige (while apparently trying to side-step a word you say is associated with alcohol and degenerates).

That's not why the name was chosen, just a possible positive side effect.

There is a much more valuable reason the "Professional Billiards Association" was chosen as the subsidiary sanction of the parent organization the "National Billiards League". Besides, the bright red, white & blue logo surrounding the acronym displaying a silhouette of a pool player makes it obvious the "B" stands for billiards and not bowling.

I do appreciate your input and welcome all opinions and devil's advocate pokes. I like to dot all "i"s and cross all "t"s.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's not why the name was chosen, just a possible positive side effect.

There is a much more valuable reason the "Professional Billiards Association" was chosen as the subsidiary sanction of the parent organization the "National Billiards League". Besides, the bright red, white & blue logo surrounding the acronym displaying a silhouette of a pool player makes it obvious the "B" stands for billiards and not bowling.

I do appreciate your input and welcome all opinions and devil's advocate pokes. I like to dot all "i"s and cross all "t"s.

I don't yet know enough about all your plans to have an overall opinion of them, but I do appreciate your responses to my quickly formed opinion of the tour name. Thank you.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
I don't yet know enough about all your plans to have an overall opinion of them, but I do appreciate your responses to my quickly formed opinion of the tour name. Thank you.

In due time sir, (for marketing purposes) in due time, all will be very transparent. There's nothing to hide with me. I'm dedicated to the overall betterment of the game and benefit for the players and enthusiasts.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"May the road rise to meet you,

and the wind always be at your back.

May the sun shine warm on your face

and the rains fall softly on your fields.

And until we meet again

May God hold you gently in the palm of his hand."

Best of Luck! Give 'em hell! I wish I was young again.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope your plan works out. I have to admit I have my doubts. I don’t like to admit this but in my opinion, there’s not a market for pool being mainstream. Where I live, there’s only one large pool hall and it only stays in business because of alcohol and you can smoke there. I can watch professional pool all day long but I don’t think there’s a lot of people like me. I don’t know if this’ll help you but as a fan of watching pool, here are some things I would like to see.

One professional American tour. It is difficult for me to keep up with professional events because there are countless companies/tours streaming them.

Standard equipment and rules. I personally think professional pool should be played on 9’ tables with 4.5” corners/5” sides. It’s not as entertaining for me to watch a pro play on a 7 footer.

Choose one discipline and stick with it. I can’t think of any mainstream sports that don’t have one standard game. I personally would like that game to be 14.1 but any discipline will do.

Shot clock. Slow play is tough to watch for me and I enjoy watching pool a lot. I would think slow play would make the more casual fan change the channel. I also think faster play makes for higher quality play even if it’s uncomfortable for some players.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You forgot a couple Sandman! :D

21. Hosted several PBIA/SPF Pool Schools...(you've always been a gracious and generous host Ed!)

22. Last but not least, Eddie is a legitimate TV Star!

I think your ideas are terrific, and I'll support you any way I can...just like I always have Eddie! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Can't blame anyone that's not familiar with me or my credentials for being cautious.

I try to be a modest individual, a gracious gentleman and a professional at all times. I don't like to boast or even talk about myself. I do express how blessed I have been to be so well connected and trusted by many in the industry. To satisfy those curious:

10) Have worked on several projects for pool here in the US all the way to China

13) Currently in my mid 40's and able to stick around for the next 30 years or so :lol:

Any questions? LOL

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A location and 2 tournament directors have been appointed for Maryland. Announcements coming soon! Start saving up your entry fees!

That reads like exhibit 1of part A from a negative balance sheet.

*Attention Players*:
Sharpen your sportsmanship - sales / ambassador skills so to retain your own sponsorship.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Go get 'em Ed. I'm rooting for you. I hope you are doing well.

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any questions? LOL

Don't forget an amazing voice. I'm surprised you've never done voice over work. Or have you?

Anyways, good luck with this idea. Hopefully it catches on and it works out.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You forgot a couple Sandman! :D

21. Hosted several PBIA/SPF Pool Schools...(you've always been a gracious and generous host Ed!)

22. Last but not least, Eddie is a legitimate TV Star!

I think your ideas are terrific, and I'll support you any way I can...just like I always have Eddie! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

If any ideas are to succeed, you need money, and sponsors will more then pocket change. How will you attract the cash needed to pull off your big idea.

What do you have to sell advertisers, what is the demographic of the average pool league player, or recreational player?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

I could probably guess them. If it's the 2 I'm thinking of, you made a great choice.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Structure is not the whole answer, the other problem Pool has is image. Long history of less the reputable people involved with the sport. Long history of players winning big events, and getting stiffed with rubber checks, or no check at all.

Real sports like NASCAR, NBA, NHL, MLB, PBA PGA, LPGA, NHRA, PRCA, or NFL etc., have reputable sponsors, and the players get paid to play, or paid when they win.

Sorry to be so blunt, but pools image is in need of some big time overhaul to attract big time sponsors.

A universal dress code would help. When I look at videos on uTube (for example Roy’s Basement) the players look like gangbangers. Derby City is another example. They all looked like something the cat drug in. Even cornholeers on ESPN look a lot more professional.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any questions? LOL
Is having Earl around really a plus?? ;)

paulcourville

Carolina Custom Shooter
Image is ABSOLUTELY an issue. I play weekly on a BCA League team and EVERY week I'm more and more unmotivated to show up because of the PEOPLE from the other teams and their behaviors. The "holier than everyone" players don't call shots as required, players show up at the table who REEK of POT, players come to the table to play while obviously intoxicated, I personally walked away from a game and called it quits because of the extreme BODY ODOR coming from the other player that was making everyone gag. The guys who park their motorcycles on the sidewalk which make me have to walk in the street to get to the front door. and it goes on and on, BUT I love to play, I've been playing Pocket Billiards in various formats my entire life, my teammates are all really nice and good people, a few of the other teams have good players and really good people BUT they are slowly becoming fewer and fewer.. Maybe a simple starting point would be to call the Sport by its proper name POCKET BILLIARDS instead of Pool... That's all I'm done now...