Mezz WX900 shaft on Sneaky Pete or...

Hi AZ,

Long time reader first time poster. I didn't quite know where to post this question so this forum seemed appropriate. I have a Sneaky Pete that I bought from Mueller's a while ago, the cue is wonderful but I just didn't quite care for the shaft that was on it. I had a low deflection shaft on it but it broke, and instead of fixing it I decided that I'll just buy a new one. Most low deflection shafts that I looked into were like 11.75 which seems like a big jump from my current shaft, which I think is like 12.20. I looked into Mezz, and I found something I liked in the WX900 shaft and I think it would look absolutely great on my Mueller's cue. I'm really quite attached to it, it's got a nice balance, it's a gorgeous highly figured bocote/maple, but the thing is once I get the joint modified to 3/8 x 10 on the Mezz, the price difference between an entire Mezz sneaky Pete and just the shaft is like $100.

Is it better to buy the shaft for my Sneaky Pete, or should I just spend the extra $100 and buy an entire Mezz? The problem is that if things don't work out with my cue and mezz shaft combo, I'll have a hard time getting rid of it because it'll be a Mezz shaft with a custom 3/8 x 10 joint, and since I don't know that many pool players to begin with.

Once again I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but regardless of the outcome I'll make sure to review it in this thread once I follow through with the purchase if I have to.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi AZ,

Long time reader first time poster. I didn't quite know where to post this question so this forum seemed appropriate. I have a Sneaky Pete that I bought from Mueller's a while ago, the cue is wonderful but I just didn't quite care for the shaft that was on it. I had a low deflection shaft on it but it broke, and instead of fixing it I decided that I'll just buy a new one. Most low deflection shafts that I looked into were like 11.75 which seems like a big jump from my current shaft, which I think is like 12.20. I looked into Mezz, and I found something I liked in the WX900 shaft and I think it would look absolutely great on my Mueller's cue. I'm really quite attached to it, it's got a nice balance, it's a gorgeous highly figured bocote/maple, but the thing is once I get the joint modified to 3/8 x 10 on the Mezz, the price difference between an entire Mezz sneaky Pete and just the shaft is like $100.

Is it better to buy the shaft for my Sneaky Pete, or should I just spend the extra $100 and buy an entire Mezz? The problem is that if things don't work out with my cue and mezz shaft combo, I'll have a hard time getting rid of it because it'll be a Mezz shaft with a custom 3/8 x 10 joint, and since I don't know that many pool players to begin with.

Once again I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but regardless of the outcome I'll make sure to review it in this thread once I follow through with the purchase if I have to.

Spend the hundreds bucks, and get the whole Mezz cue...or/and find a different shaft in 3/8-10. Just my honest opinion.
Best regards.
Joe P

Spend the hundreds bucks, and get the whole Mezz cue...or/and find a different shaft in 3/8-10. Just my honest opinion.
Best regards.
Joe P

You know what, I thought the exact same thing to be quite honest. The only thing that leaves me doubt is that most people who know pool will recognize a Mezz logo, thus a mezz sneaky Pete isn't all that sneaky. But if I were to put a mezz shaft on my cue, it would be the sneakiest of Petes. I've been to some pool halls where my cue looks almost dead on exact as the cues on the wall. When I imagine that with one of the best shafts out there... but then again it's probably like some shots in pool, they look better in my head than they do in the game.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know what, I thought the exact same thing to be quite honest. The only thing that leaves me doubt is that most people who know pool will recognize a Mezz logo, thus a mezz sneaky Pete isn't all that sneaky. But if I were to put a mezz shaft on my cue, it would be the sneakiest of Petes. I've been to some pool halls where my cue looks almost dead on exact as the cues on the wall. When I imagine that with one of the best shafts out there... but then again it's probably like some shots in pool, they look better in my head than they do in the game.

Unless you are a serious "hustler," or worried about the cue being stolen, buy the whole cue, and find a separate shaft for your sneaky. ;) JMHO.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont know about muellers but mezz butts are on the thick side. Might want to check the difference in diameter.

Dont know about muellers but mezz butts are on the thick side. Might want to check the difference in diameter.

Vernier Caliper says 2.121, but mine's the old kind where I have to do math to get the diameter. If anyone has a WX900 shaft and can provide the diameter of the bottom of the shaft, it would be easier. Tried googling it and got nowhere.

But yeah, everyone's worried about getting their stuff stolen. Plus I like it when things are low key.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Unless you are a serious "hustler," or worried about the cue being stolen, buy the whole cue, and find a separate shaft for your sneaky. ;) JMHO.

The days of hustling with a sneaky are long gone. Serious players/gamblers will recognize your stroke no matter what cue you're using anyway.

Yeah, no, I'm not planning to hustle anyone. I just like the inconspicuous look of a sneaky pete. I see guys who play with spiced out goonsticks but they're usually older and those cues are in the thousands, I don't think I'm good enough to hold a spiced out goonstick let alone afford one anyway. Plus it keeps it from getting stolen.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Vernier Caliper says 2.121, but mine's the old kind where I have to do math to get the diameter. If anyone has a WX900 shaft and can provide the diameter of the bottom of the shaft, it would be easier. Tried googling it and got nowhere.

But yeah, everyone's worried about getting their stuff stolen. Plus I like it when things are low key.

best i could measure was 0.840 inches

best i could measure was 0.840 inches

Hey, man! Thanks for coming through with that information. When I convert 2.121cm to in it comes up to 0.835 inches. I mean.. What is that, even? 5 hundredths of an inch? But the point probably remains that it's bigger than my cue, and I'll still feel it. Looks like I'll have to buy the whole thing after all.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The days of hustling with a sneaky are long gone. Serious players/gamblers will recognize your stroke no matter what cue you're using anyway.

Indeed. That's why I suggested the whole Mezz cue, for the extra 100 bux. :wink:

5 thousandths :grin:

Sorry dude I've had to take summer school for math since the 5th grade. Sometimes I miss a decimal or two. You should see me calculate interest though!! I'm shooting with a Pechauer again for now and it was a pretty big adjustment going back to a normal maple shaft after playing with a low deflection, now I'm debating whether I should abandon the Mezz entirely and just go for a Pechauer with a low deflection so the transition will be easier this time because relearning how to aim and shoot all the time sucks. I haven't been playing for very long so I notice these little "adjustments" and it takes me a while to get used to them and it's stupid because I should be learning the game and not equipment.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Mezz makes really good cues, and so does Pechauer (loved mine for 12 years now). So you can’t go wrong with either one. :grin-square:

Mezz makes really good cues, and so does Pechauer (loved mine for 12 years now). So you can’t go wrong with either one. :grin-square:

Yeah, I know. My JPUSA Pechauer has been with me for a while and I play the hell out of it, despite the fact that it came with that 3oz white bolt which I took out, so I've been playing with a 17oz or so cue. It's my main player and I break with it too. My other cue is 18.5 and it was okay. I still haven't figured out what weight of a cue does in regards to play, when my Pechauer was 20oz and change I found that I hit too hard. Maybe it was in my head.