Live Threading on Taig Lathe

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many people here would be interested in live threading on a Taig lathe? Live thread both external and internal threads.

I wasn't happy with the threads produced by manually hand tapping internal shaft threads. So, I developed a new method that doesn't require a router or Dremel tool and no modifications to the lathe. This method should also work fine on a CueSmith. I attached a picture of the threads produced. The threads shown are for a 3/8-10 pin.

I'm considering putting together an instructional DVD for those interested, but first want to get an idea of how many people would consider this new method.

The instructional DVD cost would be $50(that would include mailing cost within USA). You will also have to order some special parts (cost around $100) and make a few simple Delrin parts. Your total cost should be less than $200.

Got your interest?

Thanks
Bob
thread2.jpg

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The following videos show what is generally referred to as live threading or live tooling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYjAcD1Mvrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVAyMQj1DqI

The videos show a normal big lathe that has the ability to move the carriage and head stock at a unique rotation and feed rate to cut threads. As you know...that ability doesn't exist on a Taig based lathe.

Bob

You could argue that Chris Hightower's lathe is Taig based, and it does cut the most common threads.
So I guess a Taig lathe can be fitted with a leadscrew type system, that lets you cut threads. Having said that, the stability of a big metal lathe makes it much easier to live tool threads.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes the CueSmith thread milling attachment can be added to the CueSmith lathe for $450 to $700 depending on options selected.

https://www.cuesmith.com/thread-milling-attachment.html

I have never seen threads produced by this Dremel setup. My experience with Dremel type tool run-out (using 1/8" collets) has not been good.

Bob
Yes you are right. The Dremel didn`t work very well. But with a better more stable router mount and a Kress router, it works quite well.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK...so for $700 threading attachment and a $400 Kress router the CueSmith makes good threads. I would hope so.

Bob

Yes, but it still has limitations that a metal lathe don`t have, but for those who can`t fit a big metal lathe in their workspace, it`s a good compromise.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is your system holding the tool in the chuck and then manually rotating the work-piece and feeding it into the cutter at the correct thread lead rate ? Are you doing anything to make the work-piece to be backlash free or are you just moving the work-piece away after the thread is cut. So is a reverse of Bob's or any other larger lathe set up?
Neil

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cutting tool is in the headstock, shaft is held in the cross slide and manually rotated/moved at the thread rate.

Not sure what you mean by..."So is a reverse of Bob's or any other larger lathe set up?"

Bob

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The video links I posted show live tooling/threading with a router. My method does NOT use a router or dremel type tool.

Bob

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of pictures would you like? I have many pictures I will include on the dvd with instructions and drawing....but posting all the pictures here isnt really practical.

Bob

JC

Coos Cues
What kind of pictures would you like? I have many pictures I will include on the dvd with instructions and drawing....but posting all the pictures here isnt really practical.

Bob

You may have invented something real innovative but without a patent and/or pre making and producing the parts for sale as a kit my guess is you will sell one DVD and the world will have it. Those with some ambition will copy and those without will not.

Ideas and drawings probably will get you nowhere but mad when your invention is stolen for public consumption. There is not enough honor in the world to pull it off.

JMO

JC

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JC your 100% right and I actually expect some of that. However, the devil is in the details and thats what the drawing/pictures/instructions and details will be worth. Power to anyone that will put the effort and time into the R and D required to save $50. It took me several months and many hours to develop this new method of threading :smile:

I thought about a kit for doing this, but the labor required to make all the parts is too much work for me...so I decided to offer this idea and method to the pool community for a small fee. That fee would essentially help offset some of my efforts and development costs.

Cheers
Bob

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am capable of making my own set up if I wished to, but if you are offering a kit, I would rather buy that, support you and save myself time reinventing the wheel. If you do decide on a kit, please message me the details so I can buy your kit. I like it when people come up with new ways of doing a similar job but bring innovation at the same time.
Neil