Glasses

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to buy prescription glasses designed for pool. I know I saw someone at sbx but now I can’t find his business card. Who have you guys bought Bullard glasses from And do you like them? I can’t play with normal glasses on and ask come up to my 50s its getting tougher to play without them. Before anyone says contacts ... I’ve tried them and hate them lol

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I need to buy prescription glasses designed for pool. I know I saw someone at sbx but now I can’t find his business card. Who have you guys bought Bullard glasses from And do you like them? I can’t play with normal glasses on and ask come up to my 50s its getting tougher to play without them. Before anyone says contacts ... I’ve tried them and hate them lol

Trob,

Think you're looking for Curran Opticians in Philadelphia. Purchased a pair last year. Service was great as I drove down the day before SBE and had them "fitted". Sadly, my experience with the glasses is not good. Like your contacts, I have trouble "seeing" with them. I have a visual problem that apparently is difficult to overcome. If you've seen me play, I'm bent over with shaft on chin. With the glasses, the world curves upward. When upright and looking forward, the image is awesome. Just can't use them. Not their fault!

Lyn

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Before anyone says contacts ... I’ve tried them and hate them lol
I hated 'em too - until I tried the soft ones. I truly forget about 'em once they're in.

It took a minute to get used to sticking my fingers in my eyes...

pj
chgo

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trob,

Think you're looking for Curran Opticians in Philadelphia. Purchased a pair last year. Service was great as I drove down the day before SBE and had them "fitted". Sadly, my experience with the glasses is not good. Like your contacts, I have trouble "seeing" with them. I have a visual problem that apparently is difficult to overcome. If you've seen me play, I'm bent over with shaft on chin. With the glasses, the world curves upward. When upright and looking forward, the image is awesome. Just can't use them. Not their fault!

Lyn

I have. I always enjoy watching you play at the expo and I have the same problem. My stance is very Low to the ball. I’m going to give them a try. Thank you.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hated 'em too - until I tried the soft ones. I truly forget about 'em once they're in.

pj
chgo

I wear progressives so my choices for contacts our limited.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I currently wear large frame progressive glasses for pool. Cannot play without them. Years ago I had dedicated eyewear for pool...close range. I have been busy but intend to see Bill Curran. He plays pool. He understands what players need. Most opticians do not.

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Most opticians do not.

I found that most of these folks just wanted to use my single vision driving glasses and then bump up the script on there own. What I ended up doing was getting a new exam done which produced 2 scripts. 1. standard, 2. Pool glasses.

For the pool glasses I held a Jim Rempe ball in my hand and had one across the room and he adjusted for best focus on both. then he presented me with a test pair to confirm. I was able to get a standard pair of large frames that worked really cheap but they are not nearly as good looking as the ones found through the links in this thread.

The Dennis Taylor Snooker version did not work at all. That might take an expert to make though.. idk..

I can't look around the room great but I'm happy with my game.

Yugi

Registered
I’ve been wearing glasses for years and I use an older metal frame and bend/shape them so that when I bend down over a shot, I don’t see the top part of the rim and it works well.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Yeah I hear ya, It just takes time to get use to poking yourself in the eyes. :)

I have contacts for playing pool only. I asked the Optometrist to give me a prescription that would allow me to see perfectly clear from 3 feet to 10 feet. He looked at me a little confused until I told him I was a pool player.

It took him a few tries but he got it. I have the soft dailies and only wear them when I play. Works great.

John

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you do an internet search for glasses look for snooker glasses instead of billiard glasses and you'll find a lot more options. I bought a pair of "Hurricane snooker glasses" on Spex4less.com. out of England. They were about 1/3 the price of what I could find in North America. They work great.

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member

You would be best off with a script specifically for playing pool as mentioned. It's quite challenging to shoot with progressive lenses or contacts.

As far as glasses go, my RayBans work well. They don't have nose pieces, so they sit closer to my eyes. I seldom notice the frame, but I probablt don't get as low to the cue as you do.

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm perfectly content with the Dennis Taylor snooker frames. Had to get from the UK, but there are many suppliers. Sent them my prescription, took a month, cost $140.

Not worried about how they look.... I look plenty goofy with or without them on.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Trob,

Lyn

Lyn, don't give up on those glasses. It's quite possible that you just need to bend the temples or the hinge pieces to make the lenses more perpendicular to the line of sight when you are down for the shot. In other words, angle the frames so the top is closer (or even touching) your forehead and the bottom is farther away from your face. That should remove the upward curvature you experience now.

Last edited: