https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVhFMLwodrc

Time stamps for those who want to skip around:

Introduction - 0:00
Masters Chalk Test - 0:36
Predator Chalk Test - 1:09
Russian Magic Chalk Test - 1:36
Mezz Smart Chalk Test - 1:59
Exceed X-Chalk Test - 2:26

I was honestly a little disappointed on the Russian Magic Chalk. From reviews, I thought it would have performed much better. I have a suspicion the formula has been changed over the years. But I could be wrong, I'm no expert. I look forward to your feedback and complaints :)

-The Billiard Corner

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. I would like to have seen Taom Pyro chalk included in this comparison as well. I believe I will have to give the Exceed chalk a try since I have an Exceed cue. Seems a little strange there is a Mezz chalk and an Exceed chalk, as both are made by Mezz?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Chalk, Tips are/is like Cues, non are MAGIC, the MAGIC comes from persons ability useing the Cue, Tip, or Chalk.

JMHO.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How many times did you repeat the test for each kind of chalk?

Did you rotate the tip any particular amount between shots?

It would have been better to shoot straight up the table so that the amount of side spin could be seen on each shot. We have no way to know how consistent you were in your distance from center.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish you also included OB chalk and tigers chalk, both great products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice video. I would like to have seen Taom Pyro chalk included in this comparison as well. I believe I will have to give the Exceed chalk a try since I have an Exceed cue. Seems a little strange there is a Mezz chalk and an Exceed chalk, as both are made by Mezz?

Both are by Mezz. Taom chalk (along with other premium chalks) will be included in the next video.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It would have been better to shoot straight up the table so that the amount of side spin could be seen on each shot. We have no way to know how consistent you were in your distance from center.

I repeated the test for each chalk around 10 times that day. Results were very similar but I didn't think folks would want to watch me hit a cue ball over 100+ times with the same chalk.

I made sure not to rotate my cue with each shot as I wanted to hit the tip at the same spot every time. I tried to be as consistent as possible (2 full tips of English), but obviously I'm no robot.

I think you're right. Perhaps on my next test, I'll take your suggestion and shoot straight up the table.

Last edited:

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk, Tips are/is like Cues, non are MAGIC, the MAGIC comes from persons ability useing the Cue, Tip, or Chalk.

JMHO.

I agree, nothing is magic. Being a pool enthusiast, I just enjoy testing different chalks, cues and equipment. Fun hobby (addiction) of mine.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am aware that when a human gets in the groove, they can be astoundingly robotic.

That said, if you really wanted to do an objective, quantitative, "scientific" evaluation, it would not have been that difficult to rig up a pendulum weight-drop cue robot.

smt

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never see me paying 22bux for 1 chalk. I don't find BD to be that high in residue. Not enough to worry about anyway.

I have to agree with this opinion on paying crazy fees for one cube of chalk. I just bought some more Master chalk- 75 cents each. I play in a semi private environment, wipe down the table prior to each session, my cues are cleaned -and tip dressed, also, prior to each session- I have no problem with chalk residue. I use the Cyclops cue ball- stays the cleanest, no problem, and I really cannot remember the last time I had a skid or miscue.

If I were in a billiard hall- then I am at the mercy of the owner and most of the rooms that I have seen- all the stuff is dirty almost all the time anyhow.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never see me paying 22bux for 1 chalk. I don't find BD to be that high in residue. Not enough to worry about anyway.

I use the same piece of kamui for more then a year.. when you do the math it’s really not that expensive lol

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

I repeated the test for each chalk around 10 times that day. Results were very similar but I didn't think folks would want to watch me hit a cue ball over 100+ times with the same chalk.

I made sure not to rotate my cue with each shot as I wanted to hit the tip at the same spot every time. I tried to be as consistent as possible (2 full tips of English), but obviously I'm no robot.

I think you're right. Perhaps on my next test, I'll take your suggestion and shoot straight up the table.
Nice video. You've probably seen my set of chalk test videos here:

chalk comparison tests and results

I recommend using some of my testing procedures in any future tests you do. That way our results could be directly comparable, and I would be able to add you videos and results to the resource page.

In my experience, the "number of shots before a miscue" results can be very variable. I have done many tests over many years, using the exact same procedure each time, and I have gotten very different results (all of which can be found on my resource page if you read watch all the videos and read all the "updated results" posts). I'm not sure what the main causes are, but I think the following are contributing factors:
- consistency of the tip contact point on the CB
- consistency of the cue orientation and contact point on the tip
- the type of tip being used
- the condition of the tip surface (even if it is scuffed, shaped, and tapped, this can vary)
- how much chalk is applied
- the condition of the chalk and its exposed surface before chalking
- etc
Obviously, a rigorous test would attempt to control and test for as many individual variables as possible, but such careful testing would require a huge effort and ginormous amount of time.

I have carefully designed my testing procedures to be as simple and reliable as possible. Please consider using them in the future.

Thanks,
Dave

PS: Keep up the good work with your Channel.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So I assume you repeated the test 10 separate times for each kind of chalk - one time being repetitive shots with max spin until a miscue? Can we then assume that the results you posted at the end of your video were the average of all 10 times? Obviously that would make the results more accurate / meaningful.

Also, I'd suggest taping up the sides of each piece of chalk so that when you are doing the test, you have no idea as to which brand of you are using, which potentially could influence your results if you have any preconceived notions of which chalk you like best. Obviously it would be hard to do that in the case of the shape of the Predator chalk cube.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, do you plan to update your chalk comparisons by adding the Exceed and Mezz chalks against the top performing brands of chalks from your previous tests? It would be interesting to see if you come up with similar results.