Cloth for Antique Table

brobinson82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought an old Brunswick "20th Century" model table, and my best guess is that it's from the 1930's. The mechanic who installed it said it "should take Simonis just fine" for being so old. My question is what kind of cloth to go with. I'm between Simonis 860, 860 HR, Championship Tournament 3030, and Gorina. Would one of these cloths be a little thicker or cover up old imperfections and repairs to the slate? For the record, the slate is pretty good condition for the age. Another consideration is that I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible. I know there have been several threads comparing the quality of these brands, but no need to get into any of that here. Any of them would be better than my old nap cloth I'm sure, so I just want to know which would be least likely to bring up issues with an old table like mine. Any help is appreciated!

Brian

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Another consideration is that I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible.
Brian

Good cloth is not cheap and any knowledgeable mechanic should be able to make any of the cloth you mentioned work on your table. If you already have a mechanic and he said Simonis, sounds like you got good advice there, but, does he know how to install it properly?? Good mechanics are not cheap either. Who are you using as a mechanic and what area are you in?

Trent from Toledo

brobinson82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good cloth is not cheap and any knowledgeable mechanic should be able to make any of the cloth you mentioned work on your table. If you already have a mechanic and he said Simonis, sounds like you got good advice there, but, does he know how to install it properly?? Good mechanics are not cheap either. Who are you using as a mechanic and what area are you in?

Trent from Toledo
If I can swing it, I want to have the cushions replaced and extend the rails/tighten the pockets before I do the cloth, so I'm trying to minimize costs. I'm in Marietta, GA. I was probably going to use Mark Gregory. The guys who moved the table did a good job though. That was levelbest out of Loganville.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If I can swing it, I want to have the cushions replaced and extend the rails/tighten the pockets before I do the cloth, so I'm trying to minimize costs. I'm in Marietta, GA. I was probably going to use Mark Gregory. The guys who moved the table did a good job though. That was levelbest out of Loganville.

Mark is one of the best out there, it will by no means be cheap. He will make that table play lights out. We dont get along, but, I have no problem making those statements. He is a perfectionist. You will be happy.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup: