Scale Billiards Tables

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
There are 6' tables already on the market. Most use 2 1/4" balls.

I would think that you could source a smaller profile cushion rubber, trim the thickness of the rail, lower the nose height of the cushion, and use smaller balls.

I like your theory, but it just doesn't seem practical, at least from a sourcing perspective. You will be very limited in quality of cushion rubber and ball sets. I also think that it would take quite a lot of R&D to get the scaled-down version to play similar to the full-size version. This, of course, assumes that you are trying to mimic the characteristics of a modern day table of high quality.

Even assuming that you nailed it, with a perfect replica, selecting a cloth would be another challenge. Easy to think that you could just slow it down with a non-worsted cloth. However, you are using 1 1/2" balls... You would have to perform several comparative experiments, just to determine how the 1 1/2" balls react on different grades of cloth. Maybe a worsted cloth would still be the way to go.. I don't know, as I've never messed around with 1 1/2" balls.

Sure seems like it would be a fun project to play around with. I can't see there being any money in it, but it could be fun.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Greetings all,

(This is long, but I get to the point eventually.)

Not everyone who's crazy about billiards has she space for a table, even getting down into the 7' sizes. And, the character of the game with a 2 1/4" ball changes as the table shrinks from 9' to 8'-Pro, to 8', 7', and so on.

We have a toy table that the kids had a great time with when they were young. It's really poorly designed and built, but it stands alone on its own legs, at 25 x 49" overall with a 28" height of playing surface. The balls are 1 1/2" and made of the same material as standard balls. The top is thin plywood and warped, the pockets are cut incorrectly and actually, it's a very tough table requiring a deft touch.

I wonder, what if you built a table near these proportions, that used these balls, or perhaps the 1 3/4" or 2" balls that are available, and built it to regular pool table standards: slate top, real cushions at the right height, correctly proportioned pockets, and so on?

Does this game scale?

Apparently it does along the lines of the 2 1/4" to 2 1/8" and even 2" balls, and from 10' to 9', 8', 7', and even smaller.

How about a table that's scaled down according to ball size, that's designed to play like a 9' table? That would be 33 1/2 x 67" with 1 1/2" balls. One could scale the cue tip down proportionately, too, to 8mm or so.

Would this produce a reasonable game?

Has anyone built such a table?

So what size balls would you recommend for a 12' table, 3"? Just wondering, do they change the cup size on golf courses based on what par is? Par 5 gets bigger cups than par 3??

SlateMate

Banned
i often thought that it would be interesting to build a nice, small slate table that accepts 1.5" balls.
the rails and pockets would have to be scaled down from a standard pool table to .66666667 % i think it would be a fun game.

So what size balls would you recommend for a 12' table, 3"?

i think that ball size matters more as you go down in size because it gets too crowded to play on.

Last edited:

SlateMate

Banned
agreed..... we started off playing Carom and it was fun when we were kids.... i have a set of those small balls and when i had my Valley bumper pool table i wondered about scaling it down to make a 1.5" ball pool table. way too much work though. it might be easiest at first to start with a toy table and put those rails on a piece of slate. then later if you wanted to better the design, you'd have to get custom cushions and build rails for it. it can be done. it'd be fun to shark someone by inviting them to play on your home table. lol...

SlateMate

Banned
It turns out you can build a rail that uses K66 rubber with the nose at the 61% point on a 1 1/2" ball.

i think you'd have to change the cushion nose profile to be sharper to compensate for the small balls for rebound and nose height. . IMHO custom cushions would have to be made. as far as cloth is concerned, it seem like you'd have to get very thin, worsted cloth. otherwise it would be too thick on the cushion nose and the balls wouldn't roll fast enough.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm interested in knowing why you think this is so, regarding the cushions. Do you think the radius on the cushion nose would be too large? As I said, I can get the height right for the K66 cushion with 1 1/2" balls, and the right angle, I believe. The only thing I can't change is the one radius of the cushion, but I fail to see how it's that critical.

For the cloth, I thought I'd just try a good pool table cloth.

Nose height is only one part of the equation, how thick do you suppose the sub-rails would have to be, that measurement effects how the nose plays too.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't know, can you tell me how thick the sub-rails must be?

I have a 3D CAD model of the rails already, and I don't think there's much leeway in "rail thickness," as you put it, once you set the angle and height of the cushion so that you get the desired contact point with the ball. I've decided on 61% (height) for that, and the rest of the sub-rail dimensions fall out of that.

Do they???? So let say you have a sub rail thickness of 1 1/2" and another 1 11/16" thick. According to you, if the nose height is set to 61% of that 1 1/2" ball.....it'll react the same regardless of the subrail thickness....right? Is that what you're saying?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't know, can you tell me how thick the sub-rails must be?

I have a 3D CAD model of the rails already, and I don't think there's much leeway in "rail thickness," as you put it, once you set the angle and height of the cushion so that you get the desired contact point with the ball. I've decided on 61% (height) for that, and the rest of the sub-rail dimensions fall out of that.

I get a laugh out of you guys with 3D cad programs trying to design a pool table, that's why so many pool tables using the same cushions play so differently, because you have no idea what you're doing, it just looks like you do...LOL

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think you could use any cushion rubber that is designed for 2-1/4” balls, and it’s not so much the size that would be the show stopper. Heck you could scale down anything to be the proper dimensions. It would be the difference in weight between the smaller and larger balls that would nessitate a softer rubber for the smaller balls in order to get an accurate rebound and speed.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

vCash: 500

Scale Pool Table -*Today, 05:02 AM

You know, if you have nothing positive to contribute, why don't you go spread your hate somewhere else. I don't need or care anything that you may have to say at this point. This is supposed to be a fun, collegial forum, and your acerbic, mocking, trolling approach is poisoning

Seeing how you think I'm being so rude and hateful, since you have no idea what you're talking about, let me help you out with something...Einstein! First of all, drop the K66 cushion idea, they'll never work, instead take a look at the Northern L step cushions for snooker, the don't have a point at the front of the cushion for a reason, the English snooker balls are 2" so the flat nose means you don't need to worry about the nose height. Second, they're soft....did I mention that they're SOFT, so smaller balls will rebound of them a lot better?

Instead of coming on here like you KNOW something, why don't you show a little respect to those of us that DO know something, instead of you trying to come off as some mind of college educated fool because you have a 3D cad program a d can draw up anything and it'll work!! I can draw a space ship, that don't mean you can build it and fly it to the moon!

SlateMate

Banned
Do you think the radius on the cushion nose would be too large?

yes the nose radius would be .6666667% smaller compared to 2 1/4" pool balls. that's a lot.... you won't get the same rebound because the 1.5" balls are so light and on banks the small balls must sink into the cushion to play like a big table. but it still might play ok, we won't know until we try.

Last edited:

SlateMate

Banned
It would be the difference in weight between the smaller and larger balls that would nessitate a softer rubber for the smaller balls in order to get an accurate rebound and speed

yes, to get the table to play like a big table you'd have to make the cushions softer and the nose would have to be more pointed AND the cloth would have to be thinner.