Old
  (#76)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-10-2019, 05:55 PM

I read some of theses post and wonder how many really play pool versus just practice.

The reason for this comment is a statment implying one needs to be rarely precise in where the CB contacts the OB. So untrue unless you do not care about consistency.

I play and practice 14.1 which does require precision in where the CB contacts the OB in order to keep your run going, breaking open clusters, moving balls off the rail, break shots,creating break shots, combos and caroms.

Getting in the habit, mindset, training yourself to be precise in contacting the OB with the CB will increase your consistency.

Doing poke and hope in shot making will not do it.

Old
  (#77)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

07-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
I read some of theses post and wonder how many really play pool versus just practice.

The reason for this comment is a statment implying one needs to be rarely precise in where the CB contacts the OB. So untrue unless you do not care about consistency.

I play and practice 14.1 which does require precision in where the CB contacts the OB in order to keep your run going, breaking open clusters, moving balls off the rail, break shots,creating break shots, combos and caroms.

Getting in the habit, mindset, training yourself to be precise in contacting the OB with the CB will increase your consistency.

Doing poke and hope in shot making will not do it.
I agree that striving to be precise is a great habit to help build consistency. I was just making a point that pocketing balls usually involves only a handful of aiming references. Naturally, ghostball is different because there is no solid reference -- you simply aim for where you imagine the ghostball to be.

Here are some facts about me to satisfy your curiosity about who really plays and who just practices: I don't practice....just can't seem to make time for it. I really play. I gamble. I love 14.1, 1-pocket, 9ball, and 10 ball. My high run is 78 on a 9ft with 4 3/8" pockets. And I'm sure a little more precision would've gotten me much higher, or if I had been on a table with 5" buckets.

Precision is needed on some shots, but typically just getting the ball in the hole doesn't require exactness. That was my point. My comments in the AIMING forum are geared toward AIMING TO POCKET BALLS, not breaking out clusters or playing pinpoint position. It's really not that difficult to incorporate those elements once you get a good handle on pocketing balls.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 07-10-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Old
  (#78)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

07-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
There is no margin of error at the pocket. The margin of error is the area on a OB that the CB can contact and the OB goes anywhere in the pocket. There are variables that determine the size of this area.

Those are pocket opening, distance OB is from pocket, the OB angle into the pocket and the CB angle to the OB.

Funny how a 1/2 ball hit is now a range of shot angles......

Oh, if the sighting method used does not get you on the shot line, you are using the wrong method. My method gets you on the shot line.....not near it. In addition, there is no need to even consider what the degree of the shot angle is which only adds a unneeded level of complication.

Yes there are variables that determine the actual margin of area across the surface of the ob. It is always changing depending on the ob's distance from the pocket. At about a foot out, straight out from the pocket, margin of error across the surface of the ob is 0.2 inches. At half table it's 0.05 inches. This is with 4.5" pockets. The angle from cb to ob isn't one of the variables used when it comes to determining the margin of error for any given shot. It's just ob distance from pocket and pocket width, which naturally gets smaller as the ob gets closer to a rail.

Anyway, thinking about this tiny margin of error at the ob (which is typically between 0.2" to 0.05"), trying to be this precise when aiming is a bit daunting. Just look at the shot and realize that you have a margin of 1.125" left or right of center pocket. It's always +/- 1.125" at the pocket (with 4.5" pockets), unless the pocket is blocked or the ob is near a rail, making the effective pocket opening much smaller.

And I'm sorry you don't understand my halfball comment, about a halfball aim being able to pocket balls within a certain range of shot angles. This doesn't mean a halfball hit will produce all the angles within that range..... It simply means that when accounting for that +/- 1.125" margin at the pocket, you can aim for a halfball hit on a 25 to 35 cut if the ob is close to the pocket. If it's 4 or 5 diamonds out then that angle range is much smaller, more like 29 to 31 degrees, because the margin for error is just over +/- 1 degree from that distance.

Not everyone here is pro caliber like yourself due to years and years of ghostball work. Some might actually benefit from a system that gets them very close to the shot line, leaving a little required judgment to fine tune it. I believe it's a quicker path to developing a feel for aiming, rather than the old-school HAMB rote trial and error method.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 07-11-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Old
  (#79)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
It's always +/- 1.125" at the pocket, unless the pocket is blocked
...or approached at a less than optimal angle. I’ll bet Dr. Dave has a factor for average effective pocket sizes somewhere on his website. Something like offangle x angle likelihood = % off of maxwidth.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#80)
BC21
Poolology

07-10-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
...or approached at a less than optimal angle. Ill bet Dr. Dave has a factor for average effective pocket sizes somewhere on his website. Something like offangle x angle likelihood = % off of maxwidth.

pj
chgo
Of course. Coming in from the rail the pocket width is much smaller. My examples were all in reference to a wide open pocket, straight on.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#81)
BC21
Poolology

07-11-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Additional info on cut angles or aim points needed: https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/.../lines-of-aim/
Good information. I had never seen this particular page before. With the spot shot illustrated on this linked page I've used a halfball hit as an example in this quick sketch to show my point. CIT and SIT are ignored.

If the cb is anywhere within the margin of error window (which is 3.6 in this example) then aiming for a halfball hit will pocket the ball. You can manipulate the shot even more with spin, widening that 3.6 angle range considerably, making it possible to use one aim line/reference to accommodate several shot angles thicker or thinner than 30. This was my point when I posted that we rarely have to be precise enough to hit that 1 out of 90 in order to pocket a ball.

Notice how sharp you have to be if you are using ghostball or contact points. You have to visualize the ghostball location within +/- 0.06" for this particular shot angle. For the ob contact point you have to be able to distinguish the exact point of contact within +/- 0.035". This is why I think it's easier to use well-defined fractional aim points, points of reference, on the ob. I wish I had started with fractional aiming 30+ years ago! But I realize everyone is different and we all have our own ways and opinions on perfecting aiming or learning to aim.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 07-11-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: