John Schmidt's and Corey Deuel's comments on aiming systems

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
center cue ball for CJ is on the inside of the center axis of the cue ball to a slight over-cut of the contact point! This means you have to change your normal vision/body/cue alignment! He does not use backhand english, etc for the initial alignment! He is just set up inside of the center axis of the cue ball and strokes through the cue ball with a normal stroke with a slight over cut of the contact point and aiming just inside of the outside of the pocket. This will vary a bit from shot to shot...its that simple :wink:

shafts are a none issue, you learn to play with what you have.

I have not tried this yet but this is what he is talking about i believe :)

Are you just repeating or is this you opinion because if you play with different shafts you will have different results.Throw in distance and your going to see a lot of defferences between shafts.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you just repeating or is this you opinion because if you play with different shafts you will have different results.Throw in distance and your going to see a lot of defferences between shafts.

I agree, but others including CJ, don't think the shaft makes any difference at all. This should be interesting.

Whatever shaft you use, you will be able to adapt to it and the system/technique you are using. The users is the one that will determine how to make the ball with whatever shaft he uses, is all I’m saying.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
aiming with different shafts

I agree with the abilty of the human mind to adapt. There is a significant difference between Reg. & LD shafts on long shots hit with english. I have been playing with english for 46 yrs. I just switched to a McD i3 & an OB Classic in June. The adjustment has been made.

That being said. I first picked up a Predator 314 Cat that had been juiced (sanded down). I loved it in close quarters while playing on half of the table. However when a long shot came up that required or I wanted to use english I could not get it done using this shaft. The diference was just simply too great. It had basically crossed the line. By that I mean that the swerve far exceeded the squirt. The ball visually curved away from my aim point & could cause a complete mis of the OB. That may be why the gentleman was selling the shaft.

Regards
RJ

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The shaft won't have as much influence as you would think because you are essentially hitting center ball. You are essentially trying to hit center cb, but favoring the inside just a hair. That way, if you don't go quite straight, you will still hit the correct side of the cb, which is just a hair, not a tip, but a hair of inside.

That is why he says "no spin", you aren't hitting it enough to the inside to put enough spin on it to matter. Now, the drawback is, if you can't reliably hit the cb where you want to, and you go for a hair of inside, you will be putting more than a hair of inside on it, and will get some spin. Then, the whole equation changes due to amount of squirt from each shaft, and amount of spin you actually put on it . Which, if too much, you will miss due to throw of the ob the opposite way.

Technically, even hitting a hair off center will put spin on the cb. But, it is so small that it is of little consequence. Basically, if you can't now hit center ball reliably, this is not going to help you because you will be putting english or spin on the cb. His technique is more of a mental trick than a physical trick. You just want to tell your subconscious that if you don't hit center cb, you want to favor the inside cb. You don't actually try and hit inside, or you will be spinning the cb. You aim for center, but favor the inside mentally.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Neil:
...if you can't now hit center ball reliably, this is not going to help you because you will be putting english or spin on the cb.
Yes, and unnecessarily adding squirt to the equation. But that's not the only problem.

If you offset your tip "just a hair" from centerball, but your stroke variance is more than "just a hair", then you haven't eliminated the possibility of hitting on the "wrong" side of center. You still have the same stroke and the same likelihood of missing your tip/CB contact target in both directions.

This technique is based on a misunderstanding of stroke dynamics and can't do what it's advertised to do (decrease the magnitude of stroke errors). The only way to decrease the magnitude of stroke errors is to improve your stroke. No aiming gimmick can do it.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say this, you do not understand the "one thing" that makes all cte systems work and until you understand that, cte systems wont make sense to you and i am not willing to put that info on here :) I will also say that most all cte users dont even understand what makes cte systems work :)

So what's the "one thing" that makes all cte systems work? And "if most cte users dont even understand what makes cte systems work" then how are they even able to use CTE? :rolleyes:

Why aren't you willing to put that information on here? We're here to learn from each other, aren't we?

So what's the "one thing" that makes all cte systems work? And "if most cte users dont even understand what makes cte systems work" then how are they even able to use CTE? :rolleyes:

Why aren't you willing to put that information on here? We're here to learn from each other, aren't we?

Is that why you (poolsharkallen) are in this aiming section, to just learn?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will say this, you do not understand the "one thing" that makes all cte systems work and until you understand that, cte systems wont make sense to you and i am not willing to put that info on here :) I will also say that most all cte users dont even understand what makes cte systems work :)

There are many factors that can help explain how CTE works for the people who can use it effectively. Some are listed here:

Now, if you want a more-detailed explanation for how CTE actually works from an analytical perspective (even though this is not necessary to actually use it effectively), check out the descriptions of options 1-4 here:

Enjoy,
Dave

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe it had to be a percentage physical AND mental

I agree, but others including CJ, don't think the shaft makes any difference at all. This should be interesting.

The shaft, the tip, the ferrule, the size, the taper.....if you like these things in your cue and they give you confidence then your search is over.

My favorite cue of all time, (the one I won over a million dollars with) originally had an ivory joint and ferrule. I played ONE day with it and knew I could not control it and sent it back to Leonard Bludworth and had him change them to a different material. Immediately when I got the cue back it played perfectly and I played some of the best pool of my life with that cue.

Was it in my mind? Isn't everything:wink: I believe it had to be a percentage physical AND mental...I'm just not sure of that ratio.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many factors that can help explain how CTE works for the people who can use it effectively. Some are listed here:

Now, if you want a more-detailed explanation for how CTE actually works from an analytical perspective (even though this is not necessary to actually use it effectively), check out the descriptions of options 1-4 here:

Enjoy,
Dave
I did take a look at the two links you provided. thx.

In regards to Living Legend's comment, what would be the "one thing" that makes all cte systems work? Isn't LL contradicting himself when he says that "most all cte users dont even understand what makes cte systems work"?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
when it's time to play you MUST clear your head

Most of the best players in the world don't know how their aiming systems work and they do just fine. Sometimes I "think" I understand how mine works, but that's not necessarily the days I play my best. No matter what or how you learn when it's time to play you MUST clear your head of the "chatter".....I have always been big into the science of the game, but also learned there's a different type "system" to get into "Dead Stroke".

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use the "touch of inside" to cover the Zone of the pocket

CJ... Im all ears on your inside spin and 3 part pocket concept...then you say "DOn't Spin It, Throw IT In" and you lose me.

How can inside "throw it in"? Your suggestions seem counter intuitive.

Id also like to hear your comments on low deflection shafts and the inside spin/3 part pocket concept. Whats your suggestion when using low squirt shafts?

This alignment is done above the ball to the right side of the pocket cutting the the left and the left side of the pocket cutting to the left and then I use the "touch of inside" to cover the Zone of the pocket as I've described in several posts in the Aiming Section "John S. Corey D. thread". Then with the "Touch of Inside" slightly over cut the object ball into the center of the pocket. The sense of connecting the two balls with your eyes to "feel the angle" is vitally important....pocket billiards, at the highest level is played more with feel....than with just vision. That's how the apparent gaps in the angles are filled in. Consciouly this would not be possible because we are limited, but unconsciouly we have the ability to create angles down to the smallest degree. Paradoxically, the more you consciously try to "figure these things out" , the more of a conundrum it creates. This is why it's adviseable to try using a "touch of inside" on ALL SHOTS for a period of 2-3 hours so your unconscious can have a chance to reprogram your current beliefs about pocketing a ball. If you are missing more than 2 balls an hour you can certainly benifit from trying what's being suggested to your unconscious mind. Just Do IT , there will be plenty of time to figure it out after you experience what it really is.

As far as the low defection shafts are concerned, I experience no difference using them with The Three Part Pocket System unless I'm using severe speed or spin.

Cj, I remember someone on here talking about tip shape. I think he said something like johnny archer uses a tip that is flattened out on the sides or something like that. Have you heard of anyone tweaking there tip a bit instead of using a typical nickel or dime shape?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a great idea to spend extra to make sure you have a great tip.

Cj, I remember someone on here talking about tip shape. I think he said something like johnny archer uses a tip that is flattened out on the sides or something like that. Have you heard of anyone tweaking there tip a bit instead of using a typical nickel or dime shape?

I use a conical shape ... for me I want to think of my cue as a "delivery system" for my tip and the tip must be able to generate a precise hit. Remeber, the tip is the only thing that actually touches the balls so it must be able to produce outstanding results. It's a great idea to spend extra to make sure you have a great tip. CONICAL INFO

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Al Romero recommends that the tip of the leather be flat for straight hits on center of the CB.