Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Tips for this shot.
Page 4 of 5 « First 234 5

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-15-2020, 07:01 PM

it doesnt matter how you hit it if your pockets will take the ball.

what you need to do is keep track of whether you under or overcut it most times you miss.

then adjust as you are missing because on thin cuts it is easy to not see the aim point.

Old
  (#47)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-15-2020, 07:05 PM

Tip for this shot:
Bulletproof tips. I just jumped a cow while I was taking a nap with my bulletproof tips

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#48)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-15-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Tip for this shot:
Bulletproof tips. I just jumped a cow while I was taking a nap with my bulletproof tips
Just one cow?

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

map the shot then work from there.
Old
  (#49)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

map the shot then work from there. - 01-15-2020, 08:38 PM

A lot of people have already said the same things coming in this post but another way of looking at things might help.

First, we all agree this isn't the easiest shot on the table. So first thing, put the cue ball where the object ball is. Fire it into the long rail on the way down until you find out how much of the long rail you can hit and the ball still fall at moderate to firm speed on your table. Mark that spot just for reference. OK, still using your cue ball on the object ball spot, how far out on that inner rail can you hit and the ball still fall? Mark where the outside of the cue ball lines up. Put your cue ball back on that object ball spot one more time. Now look at things from the other side of the pocket. When you look at halfway between the two marks from behind the pocket you are normally shooting at, that is the center of your pocketable area.

Odds are that one, the width of acceptable ball placement in the pocket is wider than you thought, and two, the center of that placement isn't where you thought it was! From now on, forget what you see on these shots, your eyes are lying to you about where you need to place the object ball when you address these shots. Remember where the center of ball placement really is, or just find the spot visually again. After finding the spot awhile using trial and error your eyes get "educated". I backcut balls in the sides better than most using a similar method.

There is often a quick cheat in the heat of battle. Stand behind the object ball line to the pocket and use the long rail as a crutch. Now just fire the object ball parallel to the rail and watch it find the hole. Don't even think about that hole way down yonder, it hasn't moved since last time you shot at it!

Since you have your own table it is easy to grab the whole rack of balls and shoot this shot fifteen times each time you start hitting balls. Soon pocketing it will be so routine that you are focusing on other things fully expecting the balls to fall. Final thing, practice all four corners which will naturally have you cutting both ways. Before long this will be your bank shot, as in "money in tha".

Hu

Old
  (#50)
Luxury
AzB Silver Member
Luxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300
  Send a message via Yahoo to Luxury  
01-16-2020, 04:28 AM

Of all the advice to ignore I would suggest ignoring using inside English on the shot even if itís just a touch of inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#51)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

01-18-2020, 07:48 PM

Sorry for the delay in posting, busy week at work.

Here's your video.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#52)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-18-2020, 09:48 PM

You need to see exactly where you are hitting the pocket and if the issue is the facings or the actual aim. I have seem videos where it was said to aim those a bit thinner to compensate for collision induced throw that will push the object ball closer to the rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
I have been struggling with this shot lately. Just can't seem to make it consistently. Anybody got any tips? Hit it firm, or pocket speed? Touch of inside? Seems like I have tried it every way, and other that just shooting it another thousand times, I would appreciate any tips or words of wisdom. Do you have a particular aim point? I know it is not a half ball hit. Just seems I rattle this shot out about 30% of the time...cost me a match last night.

[IMG][/IMG]

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#53)
onepocketron
AzB Silver Member
onepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond repute

01-19-2020, 01:17 PM

Shoot it until you own it, from both sides of the table.

Old
  (#54)
8ballsNquarters
Registered
8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute8ballsNquarters has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2020, 09:23 AM

i haven't seen anyone mention collision induced throw yet. It's most observed at 30 degrees i think and, while your shot looks to be a little less, it could still be playing a role. if you're consistently missing a shot a certain way and you're confident your stroke and sighting is correct. this could be the culprit.

Old
  (#55)
ljsuperdave
Registered
ljsuperdave is on a distinguished road

01-22-2020, 09:43 AM

This shot is kinda tricky since it's a shot to the corner from close to the rail. I really have lots of trouble trying to get any kind of cue ball control for this shot.

What makes it difficult in my opinion is that the corner pocket is very small from that angle and you cannot shoot this one hard. You have to hit the far facing of the pocket and drop it in. Too fast and you might rattle the pocket.

If I were shooting this shot I would aim the ball parallel to the rail and then put a hair of inside (right in the case) on the cue. And remember not to shoot it too hard.

I'm not a very good player so you might just want to ignore all of this and just keep experimenting with whatever you find that works for you.

Old
  (#56)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
01-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballsNquarters View Post
i haven't seen anyone mention collision induced throw yet. It's most observed at 30 degrees i think and, while your shot looks to be a little less, it could still be playing a role. if you're consistently missing a shot a certain way and you're confident your stroke and sighting is correct. this could be the culprit.
The phenomenon was addressed multiple times...on each page, by my quick review.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#57)
tim913
AzB Silver Member
tim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2020, 10:29 AM

Is it being close to the rail that affects your shot, the point of the side pocket looming large, past pocket rattles, distance to pocket? Don't know for sure? Then start the process of elimination.

Keep both balls in their relative position to each other and move them both away from the rail .. making the shot more often now? Move back towards rail.

Keeping their position move both balls closer to target pocket and walk them back to original position about a half diamond at a time .. finding out it's a distance problem?
Practice! Practice!

Rattling the pocket could just be a speed problem .. if you don't have to move whitey anywhere in particular then just slow it down a little

I think it's just a focus problem maybe your mind's too busy .. gotta think about rail, side pocket, past failures.. etc. Eliminate the distractions .........

Put both balls in their original position, now take a piece of cloth or similar material about the size of a handkerchief and hang it behind the OB about 6 - 8 inches with the bottom of the cloth just touching the table or a hair above it. You want the object ball to pass under the cloth. When you get down to shoot the shot you will see CB, OB, and then cloth. You will not be distracted by the rail, pocket, distance .. etc. Focus on contact point of OB ONLY and start making the shot over and over and over building confidence. Can't see where the object ball is going? .. GOOD! I set shots up all the time with the cloth .. don't need to see the pockets, they're always in the same place . When you practice don't peek over the cloth to see where the ball is going, just stay down till you here it go in the hole. This will help your overall focus on all shots. Good Luck!

Player: House Cue
Breaker: House Cue with hard tip
Jumper: Shorter House Cue

Old
  (#58)
ANTJR122
AzB Bronze Member
ANTJR122 is on a distinguished road

01-22-2020, 11:39 AM

I think Bob Jewett is correct in that a stunned cue ball at impact with the object ball will impart the maximum amount of cut induced throw to the object ball and force it toward the side (long) rail/cushion. I tend to use a moderate amount of running (left in this case) english on most cut shots, including this one and a moderate speed at most for this shot, to counteract the cut induced throw, unless position requires a different speed, english, etc. If the 8 ball (or 9 ball in 9 ball) is the target then unless a scratch is possible, no adjustment for position is needed. Also, beware- on most tables if you use too much speed and the object ball hits the side rail the ball may rattle out (particularly on my home table- Diamond Professional with tight pockets). Brand new cloth will widen the margin of error on the side rail but still safer to avoid it if possible and let the object ball hit the pocket face directly with either pocket speed or slightly more speed than that.

Old
  (#59)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-22-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
I feel my stroke is pretty consistent. I worked with Scott Lee earlier this year and I am very diligent about my mother drills practice...of course I could be wrong. But based on my SPF feedback , I feel I am pretty consistent.

It seems to be more an issue of pace and contact point...Thanks for the advice.
I have problems with these shots too. Froze on the rail and further away from the rail is no problem, just when object ball is like a 1/2" or less from the rail. To me it seems like a sighting problem is the reason I miss these. It seems like the rail being so close changes the picture you see when aiming.

Old
  (#60)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

01-22-2020, 01:13 PM

You can line up like you are shooting it straight to the center of the pocket then put a little inside on it using backhand English or hit it using just center top but aim just inside the point on the right side

Page 4 of 5 « First 234 5

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: