Weight of 1.5" slate (9' table, 3 pieces)

RussLickteig

Registered
Hey everyone,

Heard from a friend that slate is typically 168lbs per cubic foot. I have a 9' table to move that has 1.5" slate. My quick calculation comes back at 244 pounds for each of the three pieces. Is this correct? Numbers used. 100" x 50" and 1.5" thick. Comes back at 4.34ft3 x 168lbs = 730 / 3 = 244lbs. This seems light because everyone has been telling me they will be around 400-500lbs each. Looking for any personal experience here.

Thanks! Russ

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone,

Heard from a friend that slate is typically 168lbs per cubic foot. I have a 9' table to move that has 1.5" slate. My quick calculation comes back at 244 pounds for each of the three pieces. Is this correct? Numbers used. 100" x 50" and 1.5" thick. Comes back at 4.34ft3 x 168lbs = 730 / 3 = 244lbs. This seems light because everyone has been telling me they will be around 400-500lbs each. Looking for any personal experience here.

Thanks! Russ
Your figures are pretty close. An entire 9ft GC, frame and all, weighs about 1,200lbs. Each piece doesn't weigh 4-500lbs.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone,

Thanks! Russ
300 pounds per piece, which is 50% more than the standard 200 pounds per piece for 1 inch thick slates. Your figures are off because the playing area is indeed 100“ x 50” but the overall slate measurement is 107“ x 57“.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone,

Thanks! Russ

That's very thick slate, similar to what you might find in an Anniversary table. Gold Crown slate is typically 1" thick, maybe 1&1/8" in the GCI's. I'm guessing each piece is closer to 250-275 pounds.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's very thick slate, similar to what you might find in an Anniversary table. Gold Crown slate is typically 1" thick, maybe 1&1/8" in the GCI's. I'm guessing each piece is closer to 250-275 pounds.
Anniv. had 1" slates. GC's were 1" unless Brunstone and those were thicker(1.25").

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
a guy on facebook showed me a forumla for it, said he inported slate for many yrs, i looked and looked but cant find it

basically my slate (on my 10ft carom table) which is 50mm, 1.968 inches
is over 500lbs a piece

RussLickteig

Registered
Good catch on the 107-57! Ok...really appreciate everyone's input here. 300 is so much better than 500!!! Won't loose nearly as much sleep thinking about "moving day"! :)

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I agree with 300 being close. 1" slate for 9ft is typically about 200 maybe 225. So 100lbs per 1/2" thick works out to be 300 for your piece

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The customary US and Imperial standard for slate is 168 lbs per cubic foot.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Anniv. had 1" slates. GC's were 1" unless Brunstone and those were thicker(1.25").

Wrong, just set mine up, 62 GC I.....the slates were thicker than an inch. Best guess, they are over 300lbs.

RussLickteig

Registered
Wrong, just set mine up, 62 GC I.....the slates were thicker than an inch. Best guess, they are over 300lbs.

Hey thanks for the info. What does "62 GC I" mean? New to the pool table world.

Never mind! Just did some research and figured it out!

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hey thanks for the info. What does "62 GC I" mean? New to the pool table world.

Never mind! Just did some research and figured it out!

1962 Brunswick Gold Crown I....the beginning of that table design with ball boxes and rail counters (the fat easy ones to rotate for 14.1 scoring).
When the GC III's came into being the smaller numbering counters were introduced to fill the same holes, they were More difficult to rotate and were not of the same quality.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 2000 Diamond Professional with 3 piece slate.
It's 1.5 inches thick. I was told when it was delivered
and set up that each piece weighed 275 lbs. Heavy for
sure, we rolled it down the steps on a low profile Dolly.
The table weighs just under 1400 lbs, with 975 lbs of
that being slate.

Not sure if this helps, just thought I'd add to the thread.
At any rate, thoughts and prayers for your back :)