Epoxy question???

pampi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello guys, I bought a radial CF shaft and I am going to put a 5/16 14 insert ... can I use a west system epoxy ? its 105 and 207 to be exact.. thank you for the response....

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use there an existing wood or plastic plug in the joint end of the shaft? If so,then you can install the insert in the normal way. If it is foam filled you'll have to remove enough foam to glue in a plug. If it is not foam filled you'll need to fill it with foam and proceed from there. You have to clean out the inside wall of the shaft. There may be a release agent in there that they use to keep the shaft from sticking to the mandrel it is woven on.
In any case,yes West Systems epoxy should stick just fine.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello guys, I bought a radial CF shaft and I am going to put a 5/16 14 insert ... can I use a west system epoxy ? its 105 and 207 to be exact.. thank you for the response....

You can use the 207 but I wouldn't touch it for a couple of days after you install the insert. Personally, I would use 205 or 206 with some 404 powder added.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
You can use the 207 but I wouldn't touch it for a couple of days after you install the insert. Personally, I would use 205 or 206 with some 404 powder added.

I agree with the 205 or 206...207 is more geared towards a finish coat.
Dave

pampi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info... I bought the 205... is the 205 and 105 ratio is 3 is 1 by weight?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info... I bought the 205... is the 205 and 105 ratio is 3 is 1 by weight?

I say this to EVERYONE! So don't take offence.
Please take the time to learn about the glues and epoxies.
But for today, 5-1.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I mix epoxy resins, I weigh the Hardener first, then calculate the final weight, and add resin to that new number. A small variation of resin on the total, ie .1 gram extra resin or not enough resin, is not as bad as there being 0.1 gram too much or not enough hardener to the mix. Gun powder scales are really good for epoxies too, if you see them for sale or at yard sales. I find the electronic ones sometimes time out before you get everything done.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
When I mix epoxy resins, I weigh the Hardener first, then calculate the final weight, and add resin to that new number. A small variation of resin on the total, ie .1 gram extra resin or not enough resin, is not as bad as there being 0.1 gram too much or not enough hardener to the mix. Gun powder scales are really good for epoxies too, if you see them for sale or at yard sales. I find the electronic ones sometimes time out before you get everything done.

I like to keep it simple.
1 to 5 ratio?
Put the cup on the scale. TARE it to zero.
Add HARDENER. Then multiply by 6 for the total needed.
3 grams of hardener equals 18 grams of mixed epoxy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-2...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That is the best cheap one I've tried so far.
Grams work really well.