Removing Cigarette Smoke Smell From Leather Wrap?

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I acquired a cue with a leather wrap that was owned by a smoker. I've tried wrapping the leather in newspaper for a couple of weeks, changing to fresh paper every couple of days, but it's not getting the job done. I'd had luck with this process a couple of years ago.

I'm open to suggestions as to what I should try next.

Thanks,
Keith

Mods, please move if needed.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a old Willie hoppe cue with the same problem but smells like cat. I tried leaving the cue out instead of in the case. Helped a little. Not enough. If you get a private message or a suggestion let me know please Keith

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Here's a thought. Been told if an object gets sprayed by a skunk, they bury the object in the dirt for 3 days.

Maybe get some good black loam dirt/organisms live in it. Wrap the handle area only in plastic and put dirt inside/not wet dirt and close it up. I've never done it, or heard it done, but I think it might work, can't hurt to try.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a case that was smoked out, I put a couple of dryer sheets in it and it really helped.
Not sure it it would hurt the leather if you wrapped them around it, but it might work.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try saddle soap. Marijuana smoke is even worse. I don't like opening a case to a cue sent in for repair and it smell my whole shop up like pot residue does.
A good cleaner like 409 will take the smell off the cue finish, but could discolor leather so unless the wrap is black I would avoid strong cleaners.
Someone mentioned dryer sheets. My wife uses those on our dog and it really helps.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Leave it out in the sun and fresh air on your porch, turn it over every so often. Sun and Air are your best bet. After a few days of that, leather conditioner and you'll be perfect

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try saddle soap. Marijuana smoke is even worse. I don't like opening a case to a cue sent in for repair and it smell my whole shop up like pot residue does.
A good cleaner like 409 will take the smell off the cue finish, but could discolor leather so unless the wrap is black I would avoid strong cleaners.
Someone mentioned dryer sheets. My wife uses those on our dog and it really helps.

That wouldn’t have been from cannabis smoke, that would have been someone holding good cannabis in their case.