Old
  (#16)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-06-2020, 06:14 AM

I never liked the idea of ashtrays on a pool table and had mine replaced in my first poolroom in Bakersfield. I think I paid the local Brunswick dealer $20 per table to swap them out, and I had twenty of them. I did not allow cigs on the rail either by my customers. The two Brunswick snooker tables did not have ashtrays. Weird huh

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 04-06-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Old
  (#17)
pogmothoin
AzB Gold Member
pogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond reputepogmothoin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-06-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I never liked the idea of ashtrays on a pool table and had mine replaced in my first poolroom in Bakersfield. I think I paid the local Brunswick dealer $20 per table to swap them out, and I had twenty of them. I did not allow cigs on the rail either by my customers. The two Brunswick snooker tables did not have ashtrays. Weird huh
I completely agree. If anyone came near my table with a cigarette I'd flip my lid.

Old
  (#18)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogmothoin View Post
I completely agree. If anyone came near my table with a cigarette I'd flip my lid.
the ashtrays on my gc are decorative and nostalgic. No one smokes in my rec room or anywhere in my house. when any buddies who smoke have come over they typically head out to my driveway for a smoke break.

At the pool rooms in the 60's and even the 70's I remember guys playing on these early gc's with the ashtray corners and still leaving their cigs burning on the formica. I mighta been one of those jerks around the mid 70's, once or twice.

best,
brian kc <----- smoke free since '95

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#19)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 07:44 AM

I grew up in rural Kentucky in the 60's and 70's and smoking while shooting pool was just standard operating procedure. There was no furniture in those long narrow halls to even put an ashtray on anyway. The only furniture was old classic art-deco Brunswick and Steepleton tables. I kinda assumed that table manufacturers made the rail caps out of dark wood like walnut, or rosewood, just so the cig burns didn't show up as bad. I don't think they even bothered putting a finish on those rail caps, other than maybe hand rubbed with a cloth soaked in linseed oil.

I never really smoked, so it was never my favorite part about hanging out in the halls, but tobacco was king in those days and you just had to live with it, or stay home, and I loved the game too much to stay at home.

Old
  (#20)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

04-06-2020, 07:53 AM

No smoking allowed in my room either.

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#21)
HNTFSH
Birds, Bass & Bottoms

HNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 08:41 AM

Appreciate all the chatter on ashtrays...lol. Been a smoker that's used the ashtray on a GC1 WAY BACK WHEN and also the smoking hater (Present Day) that's seen what cigarettes do to people and it makes me sick.

All why I was a little conflicted between nostalgia and present day presentation. Totally appreciate both or either.

The wife, a descendant of Kentucky tobacco farmers and self-ordained Ministers never smoked and hated it when I did back in the day. I could see her not appreciating the nostalgia on a piece of furniture in the house.

They're putting a lot of work into the refinish on this GCI. I left the corners up to him and what he feels looks best - I'll be happy with either. They're doing all the metal work, I just ordered the Reproduction name plate, will hang onto original. It looked tricky to refinish and paint - not my strong suit.

Player #1: McDermott G1402
Player #2: Weir (or should I say Adam's Japan) Sneaky Pete
Break: McDermott Sledgehammer
Backup: Colt 1911

Deplorable since 1776

Old
  (#22)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
Appreciate all the chatter on ashtrays...lol. Been a smoker that's used the ashtray on a GC1 WAY BACK WHEN and also the smoking hater (Present Day) that's seen what cigarettes do to people and it makes me sick.

All why I was a little conflicted between nostalgia and present day presentation. Totally appreciate both or either.

The wife, a descendant of Kentucky tobacco farmers and self-ordained Ministers never smoked and hated it when I did back in the day. I could see her not appreciating the nostalgia on a piece of furniture in the house.

They're putting a lot of work into the refinish on this GCI. I left the corners up to him and what he feels looks best - I'll be happy with either. They're doing all the metal work, I just ordered the Reproduction name plate, will hang onto original. It looked tricky to refinish and paint - not my strong suit.
there's a way to paint the nameplates involving vaseline on the high relief but still quite a pain in the ass.

I know someone who still may have some NOS orig nameplates - his family was in the billiards biz in the 60's and he sold me a couple a while back.

if interested, let me know and I'll chk with him.

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#23)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

04-06-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
I know someone who still may have some NOS orig nameplates - his family was in the billiards biz in the 60's and he sold me a couple a while back.

Interested!

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#24)
HNTFSH
Birds, Bass & Bottoms

HNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
there's a way to paint the nameplates involving vaseline on the high relief but still quite a pain in the ass.

Thank you sir!!! Kind offer! I guess it's just two screws and the Repro is adhesive and I have one coming from Classic. 90 bucks seemed kinda steep but...glad they are around to do business with. The chrome ball box frame is supposed to be in nice shape and they'll beautify but if not - ouch at $195.00.

Anyway - appreciate the offer, I'll have them take the old one off while they're here and mildly attach the repro. Will let the wife (artsy...left hander) try and paint the original, I get the concept of the vaseline. If all that fails...I'll send you a smoke signal.

Thanks much. I've got to remember to win a couple games on it before I worry about "perfect", I reckon.

Deplorable since 1776

"fond" memory
Old
  (#25)
RickC
Registered
RickC is on a distinguished road

"fond" memory - 04-06-2020, 10:05 AM

I remember playing Marco Marquez in a local Chicago tournament long ago on tables that had these ashtrays. Being the underdog, I knew I had to play my best to have a chance, so I took a deep breath before a tough shot and exhaled as I bent over the cueball.
Ashes flew In my face and everyone had a good laugh.....I still got beat. But fun memory.

Old
  (#26)
HNTFSH
Birds, Bass & Bottoms

04-06-2020, 11:01 AM

Deplorable since 1776

Old
  (#27)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 01:39 PM

When GC's came with ashtrays were they in all 4 corners or just 2 corners diagonal from each other??

Old
  (#28)
stevelomako
We bust hustlers
stevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond reputestevelomako has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

04-06-2020, 04:14 PM

I remember playing on them and firing a ball in and knocking the ash tray out sometimes. 🤦🏻*♂️

They definitely rattled on some tables so some rooms none of the tables would have them in.

Old
  (#29)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

04-06-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
When GC's came with ashtrays were they in all 4 corners or just 2 corners diagonal from each other??
All four corners. I had the original Brunswick double high chair setups at every table. The two high chairs were joined by a narrow table with an ash tray in the center. Players could leave their burning cigs in there. These things were pretty flimsy and I was constantly tightening the screws that held them together. I doubt there are many left in existence today.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: