Is Touch Of Inside "the teacher"

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen the whole TOI thing going on in threads for quite a while now, but have never quite had the time to investigate it. I have done a search, but that brings up numerous threads to tread through. Is there somewhere where the basic principles for using TOI are explained so I can give it a try?

See CJ's website or look on youtube for some of his information on the subject. You have to actually see it in action a bit to get the "basic" idea of it and how it works.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
you can tell by the "NO SPIN" pattern after the cue ball contacts the object ball.

Does the amount of inside change with the amount of angle on the shot?

You can change the angle by moving further "TOI" or you can use any "aiming system" to favor the inside of the pocket and use the Touch of Inside to throw it into the center of the pocket (if it goes to far you will still hit the outside of the pocket '3PartPocketSystem')

In my 90 minute Video on TOI I show how to create any angle by moving you TIP, however, as your stoke gets more precise and accurate you can start to do as I do and just use a "hair" of TOI (It's challenging to see me do it, but I've been using it for years against the greatest players - they knew I was doing something, although they couldn't quite "put their finger" on what it was - you can tell by the "NO SPIN" pattern after the cue ball contacts the object ball.....it appears to "FLOAT" into position).

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
your ability to maximize the connection from your body to the tip

This is very true for me also. My stroke errors come when I over grip the cue and cock my wrist into radial deviation causing it to veer off and move upwards. This is generally occurs the most when I am trying to put some force into the cue, and I try to accelerate too quickly. If I keep the transition forward slow and smooth, my accuracy is much greater. Now if I can only make that a solid habit.

Remember, it's vitally important not to move your tip independant from your shoulder/arm/hand....they should be connected, and this is essential to put ALL your potential energy into the cue ball......the key to playing great is always going to be in your ability to maximize the connection from your body to the tip.....after all, the only physical connection we have is with the tip to the cue ball so there lies the "secret" - this isn't that tough to do, but there is a technique that needs to be utilized, it certainly won't happen naturally. "if it feels right it's probably wrong"

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......the key to playing great is always going to be in your ability to maximize the connection from your body to the tip.....after all, the only physical connection we have is with the tip to the cue ball so there lies the "secret" - this isn't that tough to do, but there is a technique that needs to be utilized, it certainly won't happen naturally. "if it feels right it's probably wrong"

That is an interesting statement saying that if it feels right it's probably wrong, and that there is specific technique to make this happen. Are you willing to expand more on what you mean regarding this. This problem has been an achilles heel for my game for a long time, and I would love to be able to correct it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the amount of inside change with the amount of angle on the shot?

Everyone works this out for themselves. The way I learned at first was to use just touch of inside for all cut shots. However, as my feel improves for the inside of the cueball I vary it a bit.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rewards are tremendous because suddenly you get the 'Stroke' of the champions

That is an interesting statement saying that if it feels right it's probably wrong, and that there is specific technique to make this happen. Are you willing to expand more on what you mean regarding this. This problem has been an achilles heel for my game for a long time, and I would love to be able to correct it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
It's difficult to teach this in writing, it demands personal instruction. I will try to describe what I mean though, so I don't "leave you hanging".

The Tip is our only connection (physical) to play the game, we all know that. What you may not know is the tip can be connected to the shoulder/arm/wrist/hand systematically. This is done by cocking the tip up to eye level (with your hand/wrist) and then lower the tip by RAISING the shoulder/arm/hand so that the tip does not move independently.
seesaw.gif

Think in terms of a "see-saw" or a lever that requires one side to go up when the other goes down. Now visualize your tip as one side of that "see-saw or lever" and the only way you can move it down to the cue ball is to raise the other end (the shoulder/arm/hand) - this is very complicated to explain and takes me 2-3 hours of training to teach.....the rewards are tremendous because suddenly you get the feeling that the champion players have of being TOTALLY connected to your tip.

This allows you to do things (with your stoke) that you would never have dreamed possible (and they aren't possible if you don't use this type of technique) 'The Game is the Teacher'

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody just asked me about TOI, so what time is it, children?

It's "bump time", boys and girls.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TOI is no bullshit.
At least it will correct habit to use outside to throw balls in. Plus perception get corrected. Minimum that.

Just my 02.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not understand what is meant by Touch of Inside on the Cue Ball. I have played this game off and on and when learning the Cue ball has center , right or left English top and bottom. I have never heard anyone refer to the cue ball as having a inside until now and I am trying to figure out what that means. On the Cue ball were is the inside ?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not understand what is meant by Touch of Inside on the Cue Ball. I have played this game off and on and when learning the Cue ball has center , right or left English top and bottom. I have never heard anyone refer to the cue ball as having a inside until now and I am trying to figure out what that means. On the Cue ball were is the inside ?

On a cut shot, the "inside" of the cue ball is the side that is hitting the contact point on the object ball.

If you are cutting a ball to the right, the "inside" of the cue ball to the right side of the center of the cue ball and just the opposite for shooting left cuts.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a lot of English when I shoot , I like to watch the Cue ball dance . I apply a lot of spin , I can draw the Cue ball a mile. But if I need to cut a ball I will use right or left side English, were is the inside and do you use that same spot for both sides like if you are cutting to the right or left do you hit the Cue ball in the same spot every time. Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its the pocket side of the shot. If you're cutting a ball to the left then left would be inside and right would be outside. You might want to search TOI as it was covered a lot back when CJ first spoke of it. TOI is using a slight bit of deflection using inside. Not spinning the cue ball but slightly deflecting/squirting the ball.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are using the side that hit's the object ball on the were the tip hit's, That is what I did not understand , maybe ?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a lot of English when I shoot , I like to watch the Cue ball dance . I apply a lot of spin , I can draw the Cue ball a mile. But if I need to cut a ball I will use right or left side English, were is the inside and do you use that same spot for both sides like if you are cutting to the right or left do you hit the Cue ball in the same spot every time. Thanks

You are doing EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of what you need to do with TOI.

You DON'T want the cue ball spinning all over the place. A "dead" cue ball travels more natural angles off the rails.

You control the cue ball with speed and angles, not "spinning" it all around to look "cool". That is why bangers lose the cue ball every other shot. They aren't doing anything "consistent". They are changing speed, spin, angles, on every other shot. Find ONE shot and make it your MASTER shot.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the utility of TOI is to change the resulting angle coming off the rail once you adjust for 'squirt' - compared to center ball or TOO.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are using the side that hit's the object ball on the were the tip hit's, That is what I did not understand , maybe ?
Huh? Is english your first language?? ;) INSIDE is the pocket side of the cue-ball. Again: if cutting to the left then left would be inside and right would be outside.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Explanation of The Touch of Inside Technique

Huh? Is english your first language?? ;) INSIDE is the pocket side of the cue-ball. Again: if cutting to the left then left would be inside and right would be outside.

Yes, that's right!

If anyone needs to have the TOI explained in detail here's a clip or you can see the full 90 min video and much more at www.masteringpocketbilliards.com

CLICK HERE. https://youtu.be/RyTvfeqeh5Y

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ - can you clarify this - I have watched most of your TOI videos. I have practiced using TOI with inconsistent results. I understand that one of the principles is that the squirt/deflection will create the cut angle - depending on speed of the shot. Do you use a low deflection shaft? - because my low deflection shaft squirts very little, so I still have to aim for a cut - there is not enough squirt to fully alter the path to create the cut angle.
You teach to set up a shot with a slight angle, aim full and let the inside English squirt the cue ball enough to make the shot. My shaft will not squirt that much, so I still have to aim with some cut angle.
Does any of this make any difference as to how using TOI works. Less squirt is usually good, so maybe if I continue practicing with it, my consistency will improve. You have convinced me that on many shots where I used to use outside, that inside is actually better. For one example, transferring “get in” English to the object ball by using inside will increase the pocketing percentage.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ - can you clarify this - I have watched most of your TOI videos. I have practiced using TOI with inconsistent results. I understand that one of the principles is that the squirt/deflection will create the cut angle - depending on speed of the shot. Do you use a low deflection shaft? - because my low deflection shaft squirts very little, so I still have to aim for a cut - there is not enough squirt to fully alter the path to create the cut angle.
You teach to set up a shot with a slight angle, aim full and let the inside English squirt the cue ball enough to make the shot. My shaft will not squirt that much, so I still have to aim with some cut angle.
Does any of this make any difference as to how using TOI works. Less squirt is usually good, so maybe if I continue practicing with it, my consistency will improve. You have convinced me that on many shots where I used to use outside, that inside is actually better. For one example, transferring “get in” English to the object ball by using inside will increase the pocketing percentage.

The last time I played with CJ, about three years ago, he was using a regular maple shaft and a simple custom cue. It was a maple Merry Widow if I recall correctly. He told me the maker, but I forgot the name. I think I may have hit a couple of balls with it. From what I remember, it may have been a bit longer than 58" and it had a shaft that was thinner than 13mm and it had a long taper. He used a milk dud tip.

This is the cue he was playing with the last time he was in Hawaii.

Attachments

• copy of cj at Brians pool hall-min (1).jpg
    copy of cj at Brians pool hall-min (1).jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's used in combination with the 3 Part Pocket System

It's not the squirt that creates the angle, the technique just makes sure if you don't hit the precise place you're targeting on the cueball it overcast the object ball slightly. This is why it's used in combination with the 3 Part Pocket System, which means you favor the inside part of the pocket.

The result is you create a Pocket Zone because if the cue ball doesn't deflect (squirt) you hit the inside of the pocket, if it deflects slightly it hits the center and if it deflects more you hit the outside of the pocket.

Watch the video I posted on the last post and if you really want the details the video I made on my website is 90 minutes and demonstrates it in much more detail.