Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page cleaned my shaft with baby wipes
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
ctyhntr
RIP Kelly
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-23-2012, 08:42 AM

The old timers around here like to use a dollar bill or a green scrubby. I suspect its like brushing your teeth. Its not the brand of toothpaste that does the work, but the brushing action that gets the teeth cleaned. Make sure you wipe off the excess moisture from the shaft.

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#17)
Occam's Razor
Lex Parsimoniae
Occam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond reputeOccam's Razor has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
That's probably mostly alcohol. I carry alcohol swabs in my case - they clean great, don't raise the grain or risk warpage. 1"x1" swabs individually foil wrapped in boxes of 50 or more are available at any drug store for pennies each.

pj
chgo
I do exactly as PJ has indicated, and have for some time...have not had any problems and they clean well. No oils, aloe, lanolin, etc. Just alcohol wipes. I believe these are intended primarily to prep/clean a skin site for an injection and they are small as noted. No issues with grain raising here that I can feel, and I am fairly sensitive to such things (I think).

This, paired with a couple of trips to the restroom to wash my hands, every couple hours or so, (I also use the wet paper towel to grab the restroom door, so I don't have to touch the handle on the way out ). I then also use the semi-wet paper towel to wipe down the shaft during play.

Together, this seems to work well enough for me, and I go for years without any other shaft maintenance of any kind. Good luck and best wishes.

Peace.

~Razor

"If you cannot explain it simply, you do not understand it well enough." ~Albert Einstein

www.accu-stats.com

Old
  (#18)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Legend View Post
alright then! if Pj says there good to go, i will put them in my case. How often do you recommend i use them or it doesn't matter and i can wipe down a shaft daily if i wanted to?
Before leaving the bathroom may be a good idea.

J

Old
  (#19)
Andrewjoseph
AzB Silver Member
Andrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrewjoseph has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost
you can just as well keep your hands clean.

take a barely damp cloth/paper towel and buff the shaft, then buff it with a dry one.

Worked for the old timers, works great for me. You don't have to buy anything and it just helps to keep that shaft sealed.......a good shaft will only get better doing this.

And its free of charge.
GG,

First, i saw your videos on YouTube with forcefollow, gray
stuff!

Anyway, so when you go too the Pool hall you just wet a towel in the sink? And you said this will actually improve the shaft?

-A.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

Old
  (#20)
javi2
AzB Silver Member
javi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond reputejavi2 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Some of the "oldtimers" used to rub lighter fluid on the shaft to seal it. "The Miz" actually recommends this in his pocket billiards book. I tried it back in the day and it actually works. There's a whole lot more options available today..........

"Ya gotta make it... to take it" - javi2

"Bite your lip.....and take the trip" -Curtis Mayfield

Old
  (#21)
Shaky1
AzB Silver Member
Shaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond reputeShaky1 has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
Most baby wipes do have an oily substance in them.

Oil doesn't evaporate or dry. Oil will attract dirt. Something which attracts dirt will require that you clean your shaft more often.

I'm with ghosty here--wash your hands, dry them on a paper towel and use the moist paper towel (not soaked) to buff the shaft.

I hate the feel of any cleaners or waxes on my shafts.

dld
Same here. I use the paper towel I used to dry my hands. It's just wet enough without soaking the wood.

I'm not an instructor, but I'll help you any way I can.

Old
  (#22)
TX Poolnut
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
TX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond reputeTX Poolnut has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2012, 12:02 PM

i use a small towel in my bag. it works fine. wash your hands.

Old
  (#23)
bigshooter
<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
bigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2012, 12:37 PM

I don't always clean my shaft but when I do I use tequila from a dirty shot glass and wipe it clean with one of the dozens of napkins with girls phone numbers I get on a nightly basis.

Old
  (#24)
Palmetto cue
AzB Silver Member
Palmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond reputePalmetto cue has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
you can just as well keep your hands clean.

take a barely damp cloth/paper towel and buff the shaft, then buff it with a dry one.

Worked for the old timers, works great for me. You don't have to buy anything and it just helps to keep that shaft sealed.......a good shaft will only get better doing this.

And its free of charge.
Absolutely, I tell all my customers this! The paper towels that you dry your hands with are slightly damp and perfect for cleaning the oils and chalk from your cue. Build up a little heat and buff/burnish it out nicely. The only concern would be if your shaft hasn't been sealed properly. You can raise the grain on a shaft that isn't sealed. Glad the wipes worked! Always more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Palmetto cue; 09-23-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old
  (#25)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjoseph View Post
GG,

First, i saw your videos on YouTube with forcefollow, gray
stuff!

Anyway, so when you go too the Pool hall you just wet a towel in the sink? And you said this will actually improve the shaft?

-A.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android
Thanks for the compliment.....maybe gray was a typo but I LIKE IT LOL!

Yea I'll wash my hands and actually the paper towel i use to dry my hands is the one that i use to buff the shaft, then a new dry paper towel....buff till how and bada bing bada boom.

Like palmetto said tho if your shafts not sealed it could somewhat raise the grain but then I would just burnish it with a piece of leather (your wallet, your belt doesn't matter leather works great for this)

What happens is the heat and the damp rag help break down the old oils and chalk and grime. You will see it all come off on the paper towel. It does not completely strip all of the oils so it helps to keep the shaft sealed very well. Its the same basic idea that Miz talked about when using the lighter fluid.

best wishes,
Grey Ghost

Old
  (#26)
bearsafety
AzB Silver Member
bearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond reputebearsafety has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2012, 11:47 AM

I am surprised to see how many of you say its cool to use them. I have an eleven month old and my hands are far from dry after touching a baby wipe. Maybe its the brand im using.. but I wouldnt ever want my shafts to get that moist let alone have any of those chemicals applied to it.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: