Special Thank a Billiards/Pool Instructor Thread: Who helped you the most?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my 1,000th post on the forum, I would like to start a thread thanking billiard instructors all across the Globe for what they bring to the sport off pocket billiards.

I believe this is an extremely difficult sport and to thoroughly enjoy it at its highest levels, you must learn how to play it at a proficient level-both mentally and physically.

I also believe it just isn't possible to achieve this understanding and performance level without a good instructor guiding you in some way, shape, or form.

It could be a book, a post, a YouTube video, or one-on-one personal training-an instructor has helped you out at one time or another. Let's hear who they were and how. Maybe we could lead others looking to enjoy this sport towards those who helped us.

A special thanks to those who have helped me along the way to enjoying this sport more than ever.....

Brian Holmes: extremely talented short stop player on the joss tour who personally welcomed me into the world of pool when I was bartending at salt city billiards years ago. His influence and guidance was and still is pinnacle in my life.

CJ Wiley: his words of wisdom here on this forum and in his DVDs were an awakening for me and helped to "real eyes" the other levels that can be reached mentally while playing this game.

Mark Wilson: the book "play great pool" was groundbreaking for me in getting into the understanding of drills, dedication to training and above all, the work and time that needs to be invested into your training to achieve your goals.

Lee Brett: his DVD was revolutionary but it wasn't until I started a lesson with him that I understood the importance of an instructor. At Lee's direction I was shown aspects of fundamentals that were groundbreaking-setting me on a completely different course than I ever thought I could go.

Ralph Eckert: his books and training regiments, are pricelessly humbling and keeping my training progression rolling forward. His YouTube training style is cool and calm and touches on aspects of the approach to the sport I hadn't heard before.

Huge special thanks to all instructors! It's a great sport, but even greater with your guidance and knowledge available to the world.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I like this post. That is very kind of you.

For me, it was a little more elusive, back in the dark ages. People including Nick Varner told me a very few things, but after meditating on them for a long time the lights went on! For other "instruction" I've really enjoyed the Ray Martin 99 Shots book and the writing of George Fels. Thought provoking and encouraging regarding some of the real magic of our sport.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Jerry Briesath, Mark Wilson and Scott Lee.
They sit right at the top of the Instructor's pyramid.

randyg

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just about everyone named on this thread.

I would like to add:
Fran Crimi
Dr. Cue
Robin Kelly
Stan Shuffett
Landon Shuffett
Tor Lowery - Zero X
Bert Kinister

And all of the pro billiard matches I have watched and learned from over the past 5 years.

The game of billiards is a never ending learning process that I have thoroughly enjoyed and will always continue to learn.

Nice thread. Thanks :)

John

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i would like to thank
those ive worked with one on one
scott lee
hunter lumbardo
mark coats
tom wirth
and
those who have helped via the internet
has to include fran crimi
who has responded to most if not all of my pleas(threads) for help
tony in md
did a video analysis very early in my journey to start me on my way
i also want to thank
all of you non instructors that also have responded to my threads
suggesting helpfull advice from what you saw and sharing what worked for you
THANK YOU TO YOU ALL:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
p.s i also want to apologize to donny lutz and paul fannon
my lessons with you were at a time i was not ready to accept teaching
and did not let you help me......:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have learned from so many over the years...and I am still learning! Frank Oliva, Jack White, Willie Jopling, Randy Goettlicher, Jerry Briesath, Mark Wilson...all were instrumental in making me the player and instructor I am today. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every instructor on here does a fantastic job. This is why AZ appeals to me so much. I've learned just as much from z players as I have from world class instructors. No one is afraid to offer up advice for free. I don't think I can single just a handful on instructors out for praise, they all deserve it :)

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm back in the game after 30-40 years off. Have been working with Robin Dryer in Portland for the past four months and I can see much progress. I do not know if he is listed in the AZ instructor list or not. I'm practicing the drills three hours a day. I'm new on this site.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Nice thread :)

Several have had influence on me-- for sure.
For very very sure i can name a hand full, which finally brought me to the point, to teach more and more- giving me somehow "a push" in a hard time i had at a time, where i was forced to stay 7 months at home. And in this time Randy "Pops" Goettlicher, Scott Lee,Fran Crimi and Stan Shuffett had such a big influcence to me--
Not to forget David Sapolis!

So many more ppl i learnt from- intermediate players, beginners- world-class players- i cannot remember that i wouldn t have learnt also from a student by giving a lesson- i always learn from these guys- may it be to learn more about communication, about transferring the stuff in another way- or how understanding can change from human to human.

Also just a big thank you to the complete AZB staff-- incredible job. thank you for keeping this great website alive!

best wishes

Ingo

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
Thanks Gene Albrecht & Stan Shuffett & Ekkes

I've read a huge amount of pool instruction books and watched almost all the instructional videos out there, but 3 guys were crucial in my development, so thank you Gene Albrecht and Stan Shuffett and Ekkes!
They were the ones that literally opened my eyes to a different way of "seeing/sighting" in pool.
I'm pretty pleased with the way I play today, and I'm sure without them I would not be here!
So thank you guys!!!

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Scott Lee and Bert Kinister. I spent a whole week with Bert and it changed my game ever since