Qctp?

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m thinking about getting a Taig sized quick change tool post. There are a lot of choice out there, which one is your favorite and why?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I use an 0XA holder here https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3112
I had to make a riser, but it is solid steel construction and worth the money. I used a base piece from Todd's router mount. I use 2 of these, one on my deluxe, and one on a microlux 7-14 lathe.
Dave
20171216_182236.jpg

20171216_182859.jpg

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a A2Z QCTP from Chris when I bought the Deluxe lathe from him, it served me fine, except from the riser block, wich is made of aluminum and the threads stripped. I just machined a new block from steel, problem solved.
But as Dave says, It`s well worth going for a OXA setup, the toolpost itself is the wedge type and repeats alot better than the push pin type.
The extra chunkyness is a big pluss.
I use a BXA version on my lathes now, I can`t tell you how much time and frustration is saved when all your tools have their separate holder and every tool is perfectly centered.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I agree Kim, order extra holders. The amount of time saved, by getting the tool changed in the blink of an eye, and accurately, is well worth the extra $15 each. I have around 14 of them, and may order a few extra soon. The adjustment and set screws are metric, so you will need to get the correct wrench that fits. Little Machine shop also is great to deal with, and fast shipping at reasonable rates.
Dave

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought a set from a guy named Preston Jeter on Facebook. They are steel and very strong and sturdy.
Another option for you to consider.
My 2 cents,
Gary
28575898_10155413159423697_410096520375024824_n.jpg

28577761_10155413159438697_2959470220626776883_n.jpg

Last edited:

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I ended up ordering one from Preston Jeter. It looked to be really well made and I’ve heard a lot of good things about his stuff.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I bought a set from a guy named Preston Jeter on Facebook. They are steel and very strong and sturdy.
Another option for you to consider.
My 2 cents,
Gary
28575898_10155413159423697_410096520375024824_n.jpg

28577761_10155413159438697_2959470220626776883_n.jpg

BUYER BEWARE.....Yeh...I dealt with him when he sold the axa holders on here...he screwed people on that deal...and the owners of AZ gave him a break....then he offered the complete post and holder package....I gave him the benefit of the doubt due to my dealing with him had been good...bad choice on my part....when I tried to buy his complete package when he offered it here first, before FB he said he had 3 units, I pm'ed him and he said I had the last one, I paid and.....then weeks go by and no package... I complained thru pm multiple times with no response...so then I went public...He purchased a P.O shipping label.... then canceled it days later.....after he told me he shipped it. His method was Take 3 orders for every 1 set he actually had on hand...telling them it will ship the next day...then when it didn't show up, he blamed his wife/girlfriend for not shipping it while he 'was away'...trying to buy time....I don't know if he finally paid everyone back, but He got banned and it took me 2 months to get my money back using paypal.
There are better companies to deal with, with a better product, and no funny business.
Some reading material for those that were not around then....https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=228669
Dave

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave,
I'm sorry to hear you had a problem with him. I have purchased the QCTP set, the veneer holder, and the point jig from him at different times with no issue whatsoever. All 3 are well machined and precise.
My 2 cents,
Gary

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that resource - I did not know 0XA size existed.
"(60% of AXA size)" Could work well on one of my Hardinge second ops.
Inexpensive, too.

I have a couple AXA's and multiple holders. Agree wedge is far superior to piston style. Can't imagine there would be any savings or advantage ordering some sort of clone from a private shop. Especially if more holders or etc would be required in future? Are working parts in the BJ unit even hardened for wear resistance? Can't see tightening method/mechanism?

smt