does anyone pay the crazy prices for production cues>???

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
mcdermotts got $1600 cues, pechauer has $2000 cues
sneakys are $350, merry widows are $500

is this predators fault? They seem grossly overpriced

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mcdermotts got $1600 cues, pechauer has $2000 cues
sneakys are $350, merry widows are $500

is this predators fault? They seem grossly overpriced

Those companies have had high end products for a while, nothing to do with Predator. I remember in the 80s and 90s seeng cues in the 1,000 range from makers like Joss and McDermott.

Can't say I would buy one but have seen them purchased and quite a few on sale used.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grossly overpriced compared to what? Custom? I don't know too much about the custom cue business, but it seems to share many similarities with custom cutlery. Used to be, you could buy a custom Loveless or Bob Dozier and have the best knife with the highest fit and finish possible, 1000;s of dollars, but you were paying for the maker and their expertise.

About 20 years ago there was a huge influx of apprentice and flat out new, never heard of makers hitting the market with great product, but they were charging at a very similar price point to the long time, big name makers.

That, coupled with the increase in technology, CNC machining, etc. and production knives started hitting the precision, fit and finish, and performance of the best makers...all for a fraction of the cost.

Maybe cues are following a similar trajectory? I have seen small batch production cues from Pechauer, mezz, and Joss that rival any custom cue I have ever held. JMO

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been to a grocery store lately???? Cue prices have risen just like everything else. Material costs have gone up a lot and labor ain't cheap even in Asia these days. The Richard Black i paid $350 for in '82 is now $1,800. About right when you compare to other stuff.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Most production cue lines have an entry level, a standard, maybe US made, level and then various premium shaft cues.

With Viking for example, for $300 you get a basic cue with the premium Vikore shaft. You can spend $1200 for a fancy butt but still the same shaft. The smart money is the cheapest design that has the good shaft.

Sent from the future.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had a diabetic moment

forgive me,spamming again
my apology

Last edited:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One brother started mowing yards,got a dozen steady customers,hired some help,got 25 more the 100 more,now he has over 100 chevy subermans painted orange

At that same time his friend took up pool,joined a league, played pretty good ,chased a few skirts,drank a few brew. He even made clever remarks criticizing people who were mmaking something of them selves. Had a lot of following on AZ BILLIARDS, his fellow losers thought he was wise but he had nothing to do but complain and act clever to the other s like him

Who do you think has a better future

Who is proud of himself,feeds a family of 10, not the stinkin pool bum

Quit complaining about the other guy and make enough money to buy
what ever cue you want,Take it from me,you will be happier and better off

Now I yield the floor to the losers to attack this idea

I think the skirt chasing, beer drinking, better pool playing brother has the better future.

Btw Dean, something must have really been on your mind lately....the way you really went off on a tangent here.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
shipping included!

Capture.jpg

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
The quality of some production cues I've seen recently are absolutely stunning. Yes they're not cheap, but a few companies have really upped their game. So would I pay a grand for a production cue that I really liked? Yes I would... I just did. :smilewinkgrin:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the skirt chasing, beer drinking, better pool playing brother has the better future.

Btw Dean, something must have really been on your mind lately....the way you really went off on a tangent here.
I think he may have had a bit of a senior moment. Not like 'ol deano to go sideways like that. He'll be ok later after he hits a few balls and watches a couple episodes of Andy Griffith. Works for me too. ;)

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who do you think has a better future

Who is proud of himself,feeds a family of 10, not the stinkin pool bum

Quit complaining about the other guy and make enough money to buy
what ever cue you want,Take it from me,you will be happier and better off

Now I yield the floor to the losers to attack this idea

Great post Dean!

It reminds me of the old joke, If you want to get a pool player off your porch, pay him for the pizza!

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I'm not usually one for production cues but I shot with a new Lucasi Lux edition last night and was impressed with the feel and play of it. The LD shaft had less squirt than any of the carbons I have tried. I think it had a Kamui med or hard. Not usually a fan of any tips harder than soft but it wasn't terrible. I would change it though

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got this as a Christmas gift and have been using it. It lists for over a grand and is a solid cue.

Attachments

• throne2_2_double.jpg
    throne2_2_double.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,488

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1968, I paid $4,000 for a brand new Dodge Charger R/T- 426 Hemi.
Just do the math versus today or even ten years ago. The cost of just
about everything like materials, insurance, payroll & related costs and
equipment & inventory, etc. has multiplied so much over the years that
custom cues cost a lot more nowadays. Higher end production cues are
not any different in that regard. In the end you wind up getting basically
what you can afford & like....sort of a nothing more or nothing less scenario.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pool cue costs as much as you're willing to pay.
Back when Balabushkas were $400,
I hear people thought that was insane so they bought a Palmer instead.
Same thing now.
You can buy a production Schon for $500,
or a Schon unique for $5,000.
Neither will make a difference if you can't move a house stick in a straight line.
One is more for the artistry involved.
Like anything.

I just had a 20oz fresh pressed juice this morning that cost $17.
I normally pay $6 at my local place,
but my buddy insisted on trying a new spot.
They're both good.
Just the expensive juice had a different list of ingredients.

Same with cues.
Their high end models usually have different/better construction techniques than entry level models.
McDermott, by the way, made the world's most expensive pool cue to date.
It's hideous as it gets for a cue.
Completely non-functional.

My good friend plays with an$1,800 Pechauer and he bought it simply for the fact of how much money Pechauer cues puts back into the pool world as a sponsor.
Those were his exact words when I asked why he didn't just buy a custom cue through me.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Grossly overpriced compared to what? Custom? I don't know too much about the custom cue business, but it seems to share many similarities with custom cutlery. Used to be, you could buy a custom Loveless or Bob Dozier and have the best knife with the highest fit and finish possible, 1000;s of dollars, but you were paying for the maker and their expertise.

About 20 years ago there was a huge influx of apprentice and flat out new, never heard of makers hitting the market with great product, but they were charging at a very similar price point to the long time, big name makers.

That, coupled with the increase in technology, CNC machining, etc. and production knives started hitting the precision, fit and finish, and performance of the best makers...all for a fraction of the cost.

Maybe cues are following a similar trajectory? I have seen small batch production cues from Pechauer, mezz, and Joss that rival any custom cue I have ever held. JMO

compared to a custom I suppose where some guys can make you a cue to your specs for $350. production cues come in one size with one shaft and than you need to spend more if you want a different shaft.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
A pool cue costs as much as you're willing to pay.
Back when Balabushkas were $400,
I hear people thought that was insane so they bought a Palmer instead.
Same thing now.
You can buy a production Schon for $500,
or a Schon unique for $5,000.
Neither will make a difference if you can't move a house stick in a straight line.
One is more for the artistry involved.
Like anything.

I just had a 20oz fresh pressed juice this morning that cost $17.
I normally pay $6 at my local place,
but my buddy insisted on trying a new spot.
They're both good.
Just the expensive juice had a different list of ingredients.

Same with cues.
Their high end models usually have different/better construction techniques than entry level models.
McDermott, by the way, made the world's most expensive pool cue to date.
It's hideous as it gets for a cue.
Completely non-functional.

My good friend plays with an$1,800 Pechauer and he bought it simply for the fact of how much money Pechauer cues puts back into the pool world as a sponsor.
Those were his exact words when I asked why he didn't just buy a custom cue through me.

I agree on the putting the money back into the pool world part, I used pechauer as an example, their cues play great, Ive owned two myself, I don't mean to shit on any company, but it seems companies follow a trend with prices when they could afford to keep a lot of models costs down, like simple plain cues.

I remember that McDermott, it looked like a Viking axe or some shit and they were asking 100K for it. LOLOLOLOL

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Uneducated buyer always over pay, because money is no opject, they do not know better, they are guilty, because someone said support the local brick & mortar seller.

I always look for deals as I have sold things like printing, graphic art supplies, and welding supplier to large companies who always wanted the best price.