GoFundMe for Chicago Poolhall Employees

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you're a Chicago pool player (or just an allaround great person), I'd appreciate you considering a few bucks to help out the poor hourly employees temporarily laid off from my two favorite Chicago pool halls...

Thanks (from me and all of them),

pj
chgo

Click the pics.

gofundme surge.JPG

gofundme pressure.JPG

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in for a $100 Pat! The employees at both rooms have always been great to me, and hopefully this won't last too long! :thumbup2:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I got five on it..shared to twitter, too
goodest wishes to you and yours, pat
I'm in for a $100 Pat! The employees at both rooms have always been great to me, and hopefully this won't last too long! :thumbup2:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
Thanks to both of you from me and all the employees - I'm sure you know how much it will mean to them and their families!

pj
chgo

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So...the owner of both these pool halls (who pays these employees and who bought Surge after doing well with Pressure) started the GoFundMe page??? You would think he could come up the funds himself.

Sorry, but this is just glaringly wrong and pretty much the norm for Mr. Merchant. That's why I play at Nick's...owner there has some class.

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as a note, I think Patrick means well and I like his posts. This is just directed at the character of Wahib Merchant (owner of Pressure and Surge).

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...this is just glaringly wrong and pretty much the norm for Mr. Merchant.
Wahib is one of the most caring and generous people I’ve ever met. Raising funds for his employees isn’t all he’s doing for them - and you clearly don’t know him. I’d wager he’s done more charitable giving and work than you (or I) ever will.

When Pressure and Surge reopen, please stop by and introduce yourself - I’m sure the employees would like to thank you for your help in his efforts for them.

pj
chgo

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wahib is a smart businessman and makes his money from the coffee shop and bars (not the pool time). He can afford to pay them lost salaries and tips during this crisis. It's sad he created the pages.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just talk to some of his ex employees. And then you will learn about Wahib.
I’ve known every one of his employees for a dozen years. None have complained about him.

Wahib is a smart businessman and makes his money from the coffee shop and bars (not the pool time).
The large majority of his profits are from pool.

You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about and have some kind of hidden agenda. Like I said, it’s your (lack of) character being revealed here.

pj
chgo

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patrick, I have two people who have worked for him who say otherwise. Ease up. Nobody knows everything about everyone. I wouldn't claim to know everyone's opinion and/or know what they say about someone else. Not sure why you think you are omnipresent.

If wahib, is such a great employer than simply have him pay his employees the wages and tips they would lose due to this crisis out of his own pocket. I think you know his situation well enough, to know he can afford it. End of discussion on my part.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Patrick, I have two people who have worked for him who say otherwise. Ease up. Nobody knows everything about everyone. I wouldn't claim to know everyone's opinion and/or know what they say about someone else. Not sure why you think you are omnipresent.

If wahib, is such a great employer than simply have him pay his employees the wages and tips they would lose due to this crisis out of his own pocket. I think you know his situation well enough, to know he can afford it. End of discussion on my part.

Dude, step the F off. The guy owns a couple of coffee/pool rooms, not exactly Apple or Microsoft.

In other words, he's doing what he can, but with no income coming in, he still has to pay rent, insurance, etc. Not to mention his personal bills. If he goes bankrupt, then nobody is getting paid. So, geez, you hear from 2 disgruntled ex-employees, and Pat knows all the employees, so his word is good here imho.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

You are WAY OUT OF LINE!!! You don't know the details of Wahib's financial inner workings. Wahib is a very fair & nice person and is just trying to help his people any way he can. You should definitely END anymore Bull$h1t comments about Wahib or his business. It is TERRIBLE that you would post such trash to begin with, especially in such a difficult time for EVERYONE....

TFT

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt it.

**** off.

Like I said, if you have the balls, show up after they reopen and brag to the employees how you tried to interfere with Wahib's efforts to help them.

pj
chgo

Maybe this person IS one of the disgruntled ex employees. And probably so with cause.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Maybe this person IS one of the disgruntled ex employees. And probably so with cause.

that is a stiff "Maybe".... I have done business with Wahib & Patrick and met a lot of the employee's and its not cool to make such crappy statements with nothing to back them. There is no reason for anyone to badmouth the business's or Wahib in this situation. WE ALL are having tough times and no one needs any extra stress like this...

TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Dude, step the F off. The guy owns a couple of coffee/pool rooms, not exactly Apple or Microsoft.

In other words, he's doing what he can, but with no income coming in, he still has to pay rent, insurance, etc. Not to mention his personal bills. If he goes bankrupt, then nobody is getting paid. So, geez, you hear from 2 disgruntled ex-employees, and Pat knows all the employees, so his word is good here imho.

Why do some people believe if you own a business that automatically makes you wealthy?? I had people say things from "your lucky to have your own business, you can take off whenever you want" to "you should go buy a new truck, you can write it off". Its tough to make money when you are taking days off and buying a shop vehicle only means you pay less taxes on your income, its not like you are profiting because you buy a new business vehicle.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you mean he/she was probably fired for cause, I'm dead certain that's true based on knowing Wahib and discussing his hires and fires with him for many years - not to mention the "character" displayed here by this jerk.

I've been a close friend of Wahib's for many years, and wish I was as good a person and employer as he is. I know the details of his businesses better than anybody but him and can say with absolute confidence that "newcuer" (whoever he/she may really be), doesn't have half of Wahib's integrity and class - and I'm sure each of Wahib's employees (at least the ones who haven't been let go for cause) agree.

pj
chgo

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do some people believe if you own a business that automatically makes you wealthy?? I had people say things from "your lucky to have your own business, you can take off whenever you want" to "you should go buy a new truck, you can write it off". Its tough to make money when you are taking days off and buying a shop vehicle only means you pay less taxes on your income, its not like you are profiting because you buy a new business vehicle.

Exactly!! That's what pissed me off so bad when Obama said, "You didnt build that". Bulls**t! It takes a hell of a lot of hard work to build a successful small business! And the whole time politicians are regulating and taxing you to death. And if you manage to take a few days off, its because you need a pressure relief, or you go insane. Or if you manage to get that new business truck. No one knows what you had to accomplish to get that far!