Tiger XPro review

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week I was fortunate enough to receive one of the Tiger XPro shafts to demo, and just wanted to write a basic review of what I found in playing with the shaft.

Overall I found the shaft to be very favorable to play with. The fit and finish were very nice, and the shaft slid effortlessly through my bridge. The laminations were slightly visible, but did not distract from the look of the cue.

The deflection/squirt (for Dr. Dave) was very impressive. I needed more proof than just playing with it, so I set up a simple test to compare it to my other cues. Using my Jim Rempe cue ball placed similar to a side rail 9 ball break, I aimed at the center of the corner pocket putting far left, low left, and high left english on the cue ball. I chalked well to make sure that I left a mark on the Rempe ball so I could tell that I was striking the cue ball in the same spot each time. I used a Dominiak $100 cue (when they cost that much) with a 13mm tip, a players brand cue with a 12.75mm tip, and the xpro. With both of the first 2 cues, the cue ball missed the pocket a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch over and over again. When I used the xpro shaft, the cue ball hit nearly dead center each time. When hitting high or low left english, there was almost no appreciable deflection. When hitting straight far left english, there was some noticeable deflection, although much less than with the other 2 cues. The lack of deflection was also obvious when playing regular games of pool. Enough so, that it took a little getting used to it.

The hit of the shaft felt, very solid, with no negative feedback, but felt a little different than the Dominiak, which I perceived to be due to the difference in mass of the shafts.

I really liked the Onyx tip, and would happily put that on all of my shafts. I prefer a harder tip in general, and while it did not feel as hard as a LePro tip, it had a firm, solid hit that chalked well.

One other thing that I noticed when playing was an increase in english on the cue ball. While I saw no difference in draw while playing, or while testing it, there was a noticeable difference in the action of the CB when L or R spin was applied. This was nice, as it allowed me to hit closer to the center of the CB on many hits requiring side spin.

Overall, I really liked the shaft. I generally prefer thinner shafts to thicker ones, so smaller tip size and shaft diameter did not bother me at at all. The feel of the shaft, lack of deflection, tip, and increased english made the shaft feel worth the money it would cost as reflected in its ability to improve your game when applied correctly.

Hopefully this review was somewhat insightful. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about the shaft after they get a chance to use it, and look forward to trying the ultra LD shaft in comparison to this one.

Bill

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if you like it now wait until you've have it for a couple of months. I've had mine for over two months and I loved it when I first got it but now I have to say that it is the best shaft I've ever had. The combination of this shaft with the Onxy tip is amazing.

I can't wait each day to play with it. All the technical stuff you wrote I'm sure makes sense to many but for me the proof is in the pudding. I can just tell you that it does everything I ask from it. You'll love it more the more you use it.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Well, if you like it now wait until you've have it for a couple of months. I've had mine for over two months and I loved it when I first got it but now I have to say that it is the best shaft I've ever had. The combination of this shaft with the Onxy tip is amazing.

I can't wait each day to play with it. All the technical stuff you wrote I'm sure makes sense to many but for me the proof is in the pudding. I can just tell you that it does everything I ask from it. You'll love it more the more you use it.

Bill and Frank,

So far, so good with the evaluations. I'm making the jump myself to the Pro X, so it's going to take a little time, but I find I can really juice the ball with complete confidence.

I think what's going to happen is more and more players are going to go with the smaller tip, steeper taper type of shaft. I see more converts every day.

What I like about the shaft is it's stiff enough to take power shots, but sensitive enough to give good feel and feedback. The Onyx needs to be broken in for a few sessions, then the grip is amazing. I can stay a lot closer to center and get terrific results.

What's interesting about the Pro X is that even though the tip is 11.75 mm. the actual volume of the shaft is greater than the typical pro-taper 12.75 mm like a Pedator 314 for example. That's why they weigh in at 3.8 to 3.9 ounces.

Chris

Last edited:

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can anyone describe the taper on the x pro, esp as compared to the z2 or ob2/classic pro? i don't like the taper on the z2 (too thin), but the ob-2 taper (kind of a combo euro/pro taper) i like a lot better.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
can anyone describe the taper on the x pro, esp as compared to the z2 or ob2/classic pro? i don't like the taper on the z2 (too thin), but the ob-2 taper (kind of a combo euro/pro taper) i like a lot better.

It can only be described as a gradual taper. I would say it's very similar to the OB2 taper.

Do you want to test one out? I have the demo program going right now.

Chirs

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I like about the shaft is it's stiff enough to take power shots, but sensitive enough to give good feel and feedback. The Onyx needs to be broken in for a few sessions, then the grip is amazing. I can stay a lot closer to center and get terrific results.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I did not feel any flex in the shaft with harder shots. The onyx tip came to me withsome use on it already, so it was great right when I started using it.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can only be described as a gradual taper. I would say it's very similar to the OB2 taper.

Do you want to test one out? I have the demo program going right now.

Chirs

sure, i'll give it a go. normally i like bigger tips like the Ultra LD, but you can't knock it til you've tried it, so i really should give the x-pro a fair shake. do you have any in radial pin joint?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
sure, i'll give it a go. normally i like bigger tips like the Ultra LD, but you can't knock it til you've tried it, so i really should give the x-pro a fair shake. do you have any in radial pin joint?

Yes, we have one radial floating around - probably can get it to you in three weeks. It's worth a try. It's different to play with the smaller tip, but I can definitely see the advantages of adjusting.

You can register here for the demo - wil be glad to have you:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=203716

Chris

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, we have one radial floating around - probably can get it to you in three weeks. It's worth a try. It's different to play with the smaller tip, but I can definitely see the advantages of adjusting.

You can register here for the demo - wil be glad to have you:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=203716

Chris

awesome thx, I just signed up! curious to test out the onyx tip as well

will give the x pro a fair try, and waiting for the ultra ld demo too! great of you to do this demo program, a great idea!