Getting back to full speed....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Agreed, but like most things in life, we are competitive by nature.

I know I wont be shortstop level, I never was. But I would like to get back to the level I was playing prior to the long layoff.

Ken

I quit for 7 years...back in my middle twenties....took me a year to feel like a player.
....many friends wished me well and hoped I got my game back...
...I would tell them “I don’t want my game back, I want to get as good as I can get.”

Ken, shoot a lot of long straight shots, dead center ball, til you own them.
...accuracy starts at the cue ball, and there’s no alibi for missing a straight shot.

....and play some 14.1....as you keep trying to beat your high run....
....the score lets you know how you’re coming along.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit once for 8 years (never shot a single ball) when I started playing again I said I wanted to be where I was within a year. It took about 9 months. I quit again for 3 years in 2010 started back in late 2013 or early 2014. I played better now than I ever did before however I hit periods where I really struggle for several days.

It will come back it will just take time. My advice is just to have patience.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I agree, table time. Maintain good mechanics. When playing ghost really understand why you missed. Look for patterns of missing. Create drills to work on those things.

Good competition is invaluable. Wanting to beat someone who is constantly beating you, does wonders for focus.

If you can't play someone often enough, put pressure on your own ghost play. Count how many racks you can run in a row. Have personal record written down and visible when you play and a goal to run so many more by next week or next month.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back after long layoff

I started playing again about 2 years ago after 10 years off. I think the table time theory is, in some ways, a limiting belief. Table time is important when you are learning and you need some maintenance but I have steadily improved the last two years playing only once a week at leagues. I had a few long sessions after I started back and then some big things came up in life and caused me to limit my time.

You don't need to learn how to play, you need to remember how to play and more importantly, get the killer instinct back.

Shots won't look right. Your position play will be off. English might or might not take like you expect it too. Deflection and swerve will be slightly different and your fundamentals won't be as solid as when you quit.

My strategy has been:
1) Go back to fundamentals. Make sure your stroke is straight. Your stance is good. Your eye position and alignment is where you want it. And that you are the right height above the cue. For me, after 10 years it was difficult to get down as close to the cue as I used to.

2) Once your fundamentals are solid, or at least solid enough to practice without making things worse, work on aiming and ball pocketing. Start with fairly short straight in shots. Just focus on hitting center CB and hitting the OB straight into the center of the pocket. Then get longer until you are shooting full table diagonal shots. Seeing where you are aiming is more important at this point that making the balls. Keep working on this in the beginning of every session. If your fundamentals start to drift it will show up here. If you remember how you used to aim, look for those reference points and fix them in your mind.

Then set up the L corner drill and just take BIH and shoot balls in from different angles. Pay attention to where you are aiming to make the balls.

Soon you will be feeling it.

I found that there were a lot of shots that were 'automatic' in the old days. I had no idea how I was aiming and what I was looking at. Sometimes if I just shoot without thinking those shots go in. But if I do that I miss a lot of other shots. So breaking down aiming felt mechanical and forced. But I'm glad I went through the effort now.

3) Start running out a couple of balls. Set 2-3 balls on the table in easy positions and take ball in hand and run out. If you miss take ball in hand and finish them. Then if you run out, throw an additional ball out for the next one. So if you run 3 out, then throw out 4.

Try to do this only using the vertical axis. Plan your runs to use the vertical axis.

Depending on how well you used to play, if you can work on these super basic fundamentals for several hours or a week you should be making balls and playing position close to where you left off. If you keep incorporating this into your practice regularly you will soon surpass where you left off IMO.

4) Speed control should come back naturally as you are running these balls but if you are struggling then just set up some cut shots and try and make the CB travel set distances after contact. I usually position a ball that I want to gently nudge with the CB. Everybody thinks about speed control differently. I try and move my arm a certain speed. Honestly my speed control came back very quickly.

5) Sidespin, runouts, and clusters - If you were a good player, once you have the fundamentals back on track you'll be ready to start working on sidespin and game situations. I set up straight shots and played them with extreme sidespin. Then worked back from there. Eventually playing an entire rack of balls with inside on every shot. Then an entire rack with outside on every shot. This is where things will start to come together. I still do that if I do manage to get some practice time.

6) Be patient and kind to yourself. This is not the time for negative self-talk or punishing yourself for missing. You should take ball in hand whenever you miss. Have a curiosity about why/how you missed or hooked yourself. Laugh and set it up again. Don't do drills that punish you for missing. The reason I say this is that you are trying to get your confidence back. Trying to get in that flow state. You are trying to explore and remember how you used to play. If you punish yourself for missing then you'll only play things the way you already know how to, the safe way. And that's not what we're after here. The key is explore, experiment and low expectations. Just play. Have fun with it.

I believe that the main reason young kids take to pool more quickly than adults is that they are not afraid of missing and they thoroughly enjoy the whole process of learning and experimenting with pool. As adults we are programmed against failure. Against missing. And that hurts our growth. Not just in pool, but in this case, especially pool.

This is a super well thought out reply and I thank the poster for such a thoughtful answer.
I came back to pool last summer joining my local APA. I had not played any real pool since about 1998 and I broke my game down to the basics and started learning all over again. I feel like I just got back to where I was 20 years ago in about April and now I feel like I am playing my best pool ever and getting better each week.
GL

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a super well thought out reply and I thank the poster for such a thoughtful answer.
I came back to pool last summer joining my local APA. I had not played any real pool since about 1998 and I broke my game down to the basics and started learning all over again. I feel like I just got back to where I was 20 years ago in about April and now I feel like I am playing my best pool ever and getting better each week.
GL

Thanks Atlas. I feel like I will play better than I ever have once I have a little bit of time to practice. I don't need much but since I've gotten back I've had almost zero. I try to do the stuff I outlined previously right before leagues each week. If I didn't join a league team I'm sure I wouldn't have played at all the last two years.

A lot of it is mindset. I have a friend who was a very good player in his early 20s and now he's 50 and feels like he can't play anymore and will never be able to play good again. Despite the fact that he plays good right now!

Meanwhile I feel like I'm on the verge of playing great. Really great.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Throw some balls out and run them in rotation for an hour or so and try to pickup on things that need work. Rebound of the rails based on how hard you hit the rail, how far away the OB is, etc. Then go find a drill to help with that one. Ironically, that's what I was just focusing on and found Max Eberle's video the one that worked best for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lYCf2luv8M

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Atlas. I feel like I will play better than I ever have once I have a little bit of time to practice. I don't need much but since I've gotten back I've had almost zero. I try to do the stuff I outlined previously right before leagues each week. If I didn't join a league team I'm sure I wouldn't have played at all the last two years.

A lot of it is mindset. I have a friend who was a very good player in his early 20s and now he's 50 and feels like he can't play anymore and will never be able to play good again. Despite the fact that he plays good right now!

Meanwhile I feel like I'm on the verge of playing great. Really great.

I'm in a similar boat, quit playing when I was mid 30's and just picked it backup (was 48), a year later I'm playing the best pool of my life and I'm getting better every week.