Color of Money Question - Do I Need To Lose Weight?

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Weight is a spot. When he asked if he needed to lose weight, he was asking if he needed to spot Eddy, rubbing in his dominance.
:thumbup:

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weight is a spot. When he asked if he needed to lose weight, he was asking if he needed to spot Eddy, rubbing in his dominance.
:thumbup:

Right on. I watched it again the other day and for the first time thought about why he asked that. I thought the same thing.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
So "let me ask you something, I want you to be real honest, do you think I need to lose some weight?" while he is breaking down his cue and leaving is him asking Eddie if Eddie wants a spot?

I'm not convinced.

Thanks

Kevin

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it s a little sarcasm about both him being kinda fat and also the ball spotting as mentioned above...

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
It was just sarcasm. Totally unrelated to what just happened on the pool table. Adding insult to injury.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Most likely a little of both..he is fat..but I think he was speaking of the fat bank roll in his pocket..I always thought his statement was funny.

I always thought it was funny too, now that I've watched the scene again and asked the question, I think it was deep. I'd like to see some explanations before I offer mine, but looking at the scene again it sure doesn't look to me that Amos is offering up a spot.

Thanks

Kevin

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
It was just sarcasm. Totally unrelated to what just happened on the pool table. Adding insult to injury.

How is his asking the guy he just beat if he should lose some weight a sarcastic insult?

Thanks

Kevin

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I think it was him rubbing in the fact he was hustled by asking a completely off the wall question, showing how at ease he was with the whole thing, and to downplay it.

Kind of like someone being terrified to bungy jump, they do it and right afterwards, they downplay the whole thing by saying something like " You know, I was thinking, I will move my couch over by the wall"

It's rubbing it in, by showing the whole thing was so easy for him and he's acting so casual by asking such a off the cuff question

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is his asking the guy he just beat if he should lose some weight a sarcastic insult?

Thanks

Kevin

i don't know if i agree with what the guy's saying but i can understand how it could be sarcasm.

he leads into it with the, i want you to be honest with me bit, like he's going to ask something important and maybe meaningful and asks something unrelated and kind of stupid.

it's funny. like asking everyone at a funeral what they thought of "the money pit"

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
You know its a good scene/movie when they leave some stuff to the imagination....:wink:

It could be interpreted different ways.

My call is that the "fat" is part of his hustle....Eddie "thought" he was going to beat up on some dumb fat kid....Forrest is confirming that Eddie got hustled by a "dumb fat kid"

In short he was basically saying a rhetorical question to Eddie...."So what do you think of my hustle"

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I think it was him rubbing in the fact he was hustled by asking a completely off the wall question, showing how at ease he was with the whole thing, and to downplay it.

Kind of like someone being terrified to bungy jump, they do it and right afterwards, they downplay the whole thing by saying something like " You know, I was thinking, I will move my couch over by the wall"

It's rubbing it in, by showing the whole thing was so easy for him and he's acting so casual by asking such a off the cuff question

Yeah that's what I originally thought when I first saw the movie, that it was a non sequitur, as it did seem real disconnected.

Thanks

Kevin

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
My reading of that line was always this:

Eddie is sort of a wounded, old animal at the end of that scene. When Amos says "Hey, I need to ask you something?" in that earnest sort of way, he gives Eddie the fleeting impression that he's going to ask him something respectful, something such as "i know you were great... can you show me how to break better/hustle better/go on the road/etc". Eddie would then at least have the comfort that although he lost, Amos was respectful and possibly even knew he outran the nuts during the session.

Amos knows all this, and wants to stick the knife in even further. So he sets up the question in the above way, only to ask him something he'd just as soon ask his grandmother (about the weight). As if telling Eddie, "I know you thought I was going to ask you something related to your expertise of the game, but you're about as useful to me in that respect as some stranger off the street."

It's a rather devastating blow.

- Steve

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member

Eddie is sort of a wounded, old animal at the end of that scene. When Amos says "Hey, I need to ask you something?" in that earnest sort of way, he gives Eddie the fleeting impression that he's going to ask him something respectful, something such as "i know you were great... can you show me how to break better/hustle better/go on the road/etc". Eddie would then at least have the comfort that although he lost, Amos was respectful and possibly even knew he outran the nuts during the session.

Amos knows all this, and wants to stick the knife in even further. So he sets up the question in the above way, only to ask him something he'd just as soon ask his grandmother (about the weight). As if telling Eddie, "I know you thought I was going to ask you something related to your expertise of the game, but you're about as useful to me in that respect as some stranger off the street."

- Steve

Steve

Nice. I'm developing a different take but this is good stuff.

Kevin

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

- Steve

That is a great call. Makes alot of sense for the scene.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member

- Steve

Well, it sure motivated Eddie to get his ship together! To steal an old WWII line, Amos might have awakened a sleeping giant!

Steve