1st league mid-season review

Rotarded

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Backround:
This is my first season of Valley league play after 25 years of bar pool. I have never really played for money either. The following is a list of what I have learned to date:

1. I play for the worst team in the league. The captain of the team has fouled and lost at least 3 games due to lack of knowledge of the rules. The other 4 players own one graphite Harley Davidson cue between them. And finally, I am the only player who has a positive power average (average number of balls you win/lose by) after six weeks.

2. Due to the fact that I am the best player on the team, I get to play the best players on every team. I seem to do VERY well against the first player on the other teams, but often it's 4 games in a row with level 10 or 11 players ( I'm about to be bumped to a 10 ).

3. I no longer am nervous when playing. Having never really played for other than pride or beers, I had been feeling jittery and not focused during games. I now am relaxed and starting to play the game I know how to play.

4. Unfortunately the game I know is one of offense. I have been losing some close games due to the lack of practice at defensive strategies.

5. Rotating 3 different cues (Meucci original, Pechauer, Joss) is not helping my game at all. I went back to the old stand-by Joss cocobolo and have been playing much, much better.

6. It's odd to win 2 out of 4 and feel good about it. But this week I only blew 2 shots in 4 games. One was a stupid mistake on an easy side cut. The other was a cut side-bank on the 8 that fell, but the cue ball contacted another ball that banked back and barely nudged it in (for a loss) as it rolled passed the side pocket.

Michael

Last edited:

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
Congratulations Michael. It sounds as if you're doing quite well, but that "Offense Only" 8-Ball has room for improvement, and I think you know that you can't continue to run out every game. May I recommend 2 books, one for you and one for your captain, or maybe both for you if you take over the captaincy next year ;) . "The Eight Ball Bible" by R.Givens, $29.95 from Bebob Publishing, and "How to be the Captain of a Winning APA 8-Ball Team" by John W. Loftus, $17.95 from Bebob also. If you don't want to tell your teammates where you learned the great strategy, we won't say a word :D . Good luck...Tom

http://www.bebobpublishing.com/mainindex.htm

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
in normal league play you can win alot of games against so-so players just by playing a key safety.

playing for the last place team isnt easy either, just enjoy yourself.