Your too good for this league

MinoInADixeCup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, this have been going on for years and I've been playing on this league on and off for over 12 years now, basically since it started. The people complaining have been playing for about half that time or less.

I play on an in-house handicapped league and there are about 3 teams that are trying to get me kicked off. There is no doubt that I'm the strongest player on this league, I'm not bragging, it's just a fact. I put significantly more effort into my game then anyone else who plays on that league, so it's not a surprise.

My average is currently 50 out of a possible 54, the next highest behind me is at 48 and the league average is around 42. Their primary complaint is that it's not fun to play me because they always lose to me. I really wish I was joking about that, but it's the truth. I've had the same irritating conversation about 4 times in the last couple years, it basically goes like this.

Them: What do you get out of playing on this league?

Me: I'm hanging out with some of my best friends, drinking beer, and engaging in my favorite activity, playing pool.

Them: Do you think it's fun for other people on the league who have to play you?

Me: Honestly, it's not my responsibility to make sure that other people on the league have a good time.

Them: that's a pretty sh***Y attitude to have.

Me: Why? Are you going to let another team win some games because they are having a bad night and are not having a good time?

We then go round and round over the same points until they walk away, usually pissed.

The biggest problem with the league is that it gives points for balls made. As I'm sure most of us know, that is the worst possible way to think about 8 ball. Anyone who walks away from an 8 ball game with 2 balls left on the table and somehow feels like he lost less then someone who left 5 balls on the table doesn't have a clue about how the game should be played.

It's gotten so irritating that I've decided to play left handed next session (I'm right handed and can't run 3 balls left handed). It's something I've been thinking about doing for awhile because I think it will give me an advantage being at least slightly proficient shooting left handed.

Sorry for the length, I've just needed to get that out for awhile now.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
MinoInADixeCup said:
Ok, this have been going on for years and I've been playing on this league on and off for over 12 years now, basically since it started. The people complaining have been playing for about half that time or less.

I play on an in-house handicapped league and there are about 3 teams that are trying to get me kicked off. There is no doubt that I'm the strongest player on this league, I'm not bragging, it's just a fact. I put significantly more effort into my game then anyone else who plays on that league, so it's not a surprise.

My average is currently 50 out of a possible 54, the next highest behind me is at 48 and the league average is around 42. Their primary complaint is that it's not fun to play me because they always lose to me. I really wish I was joking about that, but it's the truth. I've had the same irritating conversation about 4 times in the last couple years, it basically goes like this.

Me: I'm hanging out with some of my best friends, drinking beer, and engaging in my favorite activity, playing pool.

Them: Do you think it's fun for other people on the league who have to play you?

Me: Honestly, it's not my responsibility to make sure that other people on the league have a good time.

Me: Why? Are you going to let another team win some games because they are having a bad night and are not having a good time?

We then go round and round over the same points until they walk away, usually pissed.

The biggest problem with the league is that it gives points for balls made. As I'm sure most of us know, that is the worst possible way to think about 8 ball. Anyone who walks away from an 8 ball game with 2 balls left on the table and somehow feels like he lost less then someone who left 5 balls on the table doesn't have a clue about how the game should be played.

It's gotten so irritating that I've decided to play left handed next session (I'm right handed and can't run 3 balls left handed). It's something I've been thinking about doing for awhile because I think it will give me an advantage being at least slightly proficient shooting left handed.

If you think they're pissed now just wait til you beat one of them while playing left handed.

MinoInADixeCup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
If you think they're pissed now just wait til you beat one of them while playing left handed.

ACK!!:eek: I didn't think of that.

Actually, they won't mind as long as they get 3 to 4 tries at the table which is what most of them need to get out.

lodini

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally don't understand why people have this attitude. I have played on leagues that allowed pros, and I always loved going up against them. Even though it was a fair certaintly that I would "lose" in the end... I always felt that I gained so much by going head to head with someone that much better than me.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
I just started playing in my first league that does the handicap by how many balls u have left on the table. I feel ur pain, that is total crap. pool is a zero sum game, either u win or lose no in the middle bs.

MinoInADixeCup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lodini said:
I personally don't understand why people have this attitude. I have played on leagues that allowed pros, and I always loved going up against them. Even though it was a fair certaintly that I would "lose" in the end... I always felt that I gained so much by going head to head with someone that much better than me.

I probably should have added that most of them have no interest in ever getting better or in playing on a tougher league.

lodini

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MinoInADixeCup said:
I probably should have added that most of them have no interest in ever getting better or in playing on a tougher league.
Ahhhh, very valuable info:p Now I definitely understand why they don't like you:D :p :D :p ;)

Just kidding, of course!

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
MinoInADixeCup said:
I look at your situation from a different direction...I would think you would have an interest in playing on a tougher league. If you are as steadfastly interested in improving as you state you are that league is a waste of time. JMO

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I had the same problem in an 8-ball league I was formerly in (I was also a league officer for ~8 years). I have since moved on to a 9-ball league.

A little background... the 8-ball league was a corporate league and was handicapped... but not on an individual basis. Each team had four players... an "A", a "B", a "C" and a "D" player... their rating based on their winning % from the previous sessions in the league. Team makeups were determined by a random draw. It was a cash league ($20 sign-up + $5/night... not a lot of money involved... no green fees... ~95% went back to the players.. 5% split between the treasurer and the secretary, who kept the stats and scheduling). Payouts at the end of each session were determined by team ranking. The payout was fairly flat. All teams won money. Each team split their money evenly between the four players. It was a good league.

What seemed to be the gripe was we also paid out the Top Ten shooters... based on individual winning % ($70 to the top shooter... and down to $20 for top shooter #10). I was consistently in the top three. Some players complained about that. They wanted to eliminate the Top Ten because they couldn't make it. I told 'em to put in the practice time and make it one of their goals. That's what I did. I also told them that they're wasting their energy... they should be using it to gain knowledge and experience about the game. Read books... watch tapes and DVDs. Invest in your game and you will be rewarded.

They didn't get it.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
If playing in this league is not challenging enough for you - then stop playing in it. Instead, start playing in tournaments that have players that are at or above your level. Obviously, there is nothing more for you to prove in this league - so move forward.

Willy_BadDream

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beg to play the best players

I alway's love to play the best. Normally lose, But it's ok with me if I learn something.

Always play to Win!

Willy

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
You know, another argument to present to them is... until you are #1 in this league there will always be someone in that #1 position who will be beating you consistently until your game improves.

Firecracker

aka Crackalackin
Silver Member
Been there too

I once played on an all-girls league that the majority of players had the same attitude as the players in your league. They wanted to go out with their friends, play pool, and drink. It wasn't just me that they wanted to kick off, it was my whole team. They also wanted to win...they couldn't do that playing against our team. That would have required improving there own games when all they wanted was a social club.

I only played one and a half seasons in that league since it was on bar-boxes. It was good money but not worth the headache of playing against most of those girls. Fortunately, there are lots of other leagues in my area and I was able to move into a league that encourages competition.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
My opinion:

Give the little nits their little league back, refuse to play in it ever again, and just show up and drink beer--- and don't play.

If anyone needs help with their game, tell them you don't give lessons...

Go somewhere where you're challenged. Personally, if someone doesn't have "fun" when they lose to a better player, they better pick a different game because it happens ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time. If beating someone who shoots through their knuckles makes them have fun.... BAHAHAHHA, perfect.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an underlying problem with leagues throughout America and it's also what lead to the formation of Amsterdam Billiards' BCA Team 9-ball chapter which is all-inclusive.

Seriously, I think it's absolutely horrible that amateur pool organizations put a cap on ability so that beginners are protected. I understand businesses are trying to draw from the largest level of the "ability pyramid" but people have to understand this pyramid's beauty is not seen at its base but at its apex.

Amsterdam Billiards' Team 9-ball league has allowed professionals to play since the beginning and it's only help make the chapter arguably the strongest in the country. Last year, we sent a little over 50 individuals to Las Vegas to compete in the nationals. Of the two dozen events that took place, four of those events featured Amsterdam league members in the finals.

Had the league excluded professionals, many of the better amateurs would likely have lost interest. Now, in its tenth year, the league is at its largest membership with 34 teams and continues to grow year after year.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I would tell them that the reason I am playing is I want to have a 54 point average and then see how drunk I can get and still maintain it.

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
I say you just show up tournament nights and get rip-roaring drunk. Start heckling and cause a scene.

But really, I could understand why they'd want you out. It encourages new players to join a league when they can get up and take the cash without much ability. I've seen that in leagues before and that's why I've never invested myself in one. (I'm not a great player, I'm just against that attitude.)

It's discouraging for someone who's just started playing to get beaten into the ground by some serious talent every week. Personally, I took about 5 weeks worth of humiliation in a weekly tournament from one particular pro and I loved how much I learned from it.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
league

MinoInADixeCup said:

quit pool league and drink more beer!!! or go on the road!!!make new friends. because you say to hang out with friends and drink beer, are they your friends that talk to you like that???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I have the opposite problem. I want to move our team up a level to the top league to play against stronger competition. and my team is against me on that. I like these guys they are all competent run out threats. I think stronger opposition will make us better.. they want to get better but don't want to lose any games in the process.. an unattainable goal IMO.

I think both of our problems boil down to ego and fear of losing tonight...completely disregarding long term benefits.

IMO... NO ONE.. gets good at pool playing by themselves.. you need better players.. you need a top dog to gun for..

that kind of applies to both them and you... if they pay attention and make beating you a goal. many will achieve it. and raise their game in the process.

Is the challenge really there for you anymore? I for one would quickly grow bored playing competition that is vastly beneath me.. however I get that you want to stay with your team. and thats cool .. as long as you are also playing better players than yourself on a regular basis in order to keep your own game from slipping..

good luck.

MinoInADixeCup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
I look at your situation from a different direction...I would think you would have an interest in playing on a tougher league. If you are as steadfastly interested in improving as you state you are that league is a waste of time. JMO

Blackjack said:
If playing in this league is not challenging enough for you - then stop playing in it. Instead, start playing in tournaments that have players that are at or above your level. Obviously, there is nothing more for you to prove in this league - so move forward.

You're absolutely right, and I do play in 3 other leagues that are much tougher then the one under discussion and a monday night tournament that I regulary get my butt kicked. I have a great time in those even if I'm only rated average to above average. There is one guy on the tournament that I love to play even though I've never beaten him. When he is on, he moves the cue ball around the table with such an effortless ease and never seems to be out of shape.

There are a couple other leagues or tournaments that I could play on Wednesday night, but after working 8 to 9 hours, I'm just not up to driving an hour from work and then 45 minutes to get home at 10 pm or later if it's a tournament. The bar I play at is 30 minutes from work during rush hour and 15 minutes from home after the league is over.

Last edited: