Gareth Potts 8 pack of 9-ball on a Chinese 8-ball table

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/gyI3iEWu2JE
Probably a lot of people on this forum haven't played on these tables. I played a decent amount on them when I was in China a couple years ago, and this is absolute madness.

Side note: I think it's cool they are starting to have 9-ball tournaments on these tables. Hopefully it merges fans of both games and turns into something big and exciting. I'm a fan

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/gyI3iEWu2JE
Probably a lot of people on this forum haven't played on these tables. I played a decent amount on them when I was in China a couple years ago, and this is absolute madness.

Side note: I think it's cool they are starting to have 9-ball tournaments on these tables. Hopefully it merges fans of both games and turns into something big and exciting. I'm a fan
Are they slightly smaller than 9-foot tables? It looks like they are using snooker cloth.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they slightly smaller than 9-foot tables? It looks like they are using snooker cloth.

They are standard 9ft tables, typically covered in snooker cloth and with sub 4" snooker-cut pockets. Like snooker, most shots down the rail can't even be shot at. An 8-pack on this table would be like doubling that on a standard table with 4.5" pockets in my opinion

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are standard 9ft tables, typically covered in snooker cloth and with sub 4" snooker-cut pockets. Like snooker, most shots down the rail can't even be shot at. An 8-pack on this table would be like doubling that on a standard table with 4.5" pockets in my opinion

It's impressive, but I wouldn't go that far.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member

I concur (on the table specs - not so much on comparing to a 16 pack on a standard table). I would also add that side pocket shots are considerably easier than on a standard pool table due to the rounded cut. Regardless, incredible performance!

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
It a fantastic display of skill, but we'd probably have more 8-packs in US/Europe,
if they allowed magic rack + no break restrictions + 1 on the spot.
Still, with those pockets and with rail cuts almost taken out of the equation it's awesome.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's extremely impressive. I finally had the chance to play on some chinese 8-ball a few weeks ago in china of course, and I could not believe how much more difficult they actually are. You have to rethink every run out to try and get a straight in shot to a pocket. If you try to play down the rail, 9 times out of 10 it gets rejected. If you try to "cheat the pocket", it gets rejected. I played maybe 40-50 games by myself, and managed two break and runs (of 8-ball). I was thrilled at this accomplishment. Accuracy is so critical here, and realized how lackadaisical I've become with my ball potting.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Man, that's tough.... Thanks for sharing.

I can't imagine 10 Ball on these....:eek:

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's impressive, but I wouldn't go that far.

I actually do think it would be close, frequency-wise. If you took whatever rotation you player you think is the biggest package threat (shane, chang, dennis, etc.), cloned them, and put one on a regular table and one on a chinese 8 ball table with magic racks and no break restrictions, I think you would see a 15 pack on the regular table about the same frequency as you would see an 8 pack on the chinese table. Just my opinion having played on both types of equipment

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on a side note, is his opponent napping at the start of the video?

also interesting to see Potts playing 9 ball, as he has said in the past he doesn't think much of the game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I actually do think it would be close, frequency-wise. If you took whatever rotation you player you think is the biggest package threat (shane, chang, dennis, etc.), cloned them, and put one on a regular table and one on a chinese 8 ball table with magic racks and no break restrictions, I think you would see a 15 pack on the regular table about the same frequency as you would see an 8 pack on the chinese table. Just my opinion having played on both types of equipment

I agree with this ....an 8-pack is fantastic.
We have one of those tables at our room.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry, I didn't know you meant with the same conditions (magic rack and no break restrictions)

In that case, it might be close.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks like the scoring is not one point per nine ball. Anyone know what it is?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's a shark technique in Chinese 8-ball. If you can actually fall asleep while your opponent is at the table it can be very distracting.

The shark is self defeating...when you wake up, Gareth says...It’s a nightmare, isn’t it?”

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this ....an 8-pack is fantastic.
We have one of those tables at our room.

I have asked on here before about snooker tv tables.

They take balls like barboxes:confused:

Some say it's new clothes and polished balls:rolleyes:

You know snooker , how do these tables compare?

I believe the Chinese Tables have the Gaff Snooker table Pockets? Not the "pro" cut snooker pockets?

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched a couple of the games - real impressive, although having a ball wired on the break makes it substantially easier to play shape for the one every time.
Also, his stance looks very uncomfortable - his torso is very contorted in relation to his feet - but obviously it gets him into proper alignment with his upper arm and cue - and maybe it's so he can't move during his stroke even if he wanted to. Most of the guys I play pool with would break something if they tried to get into his stance

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have asked on here before about snooker tv tables.

They take balls like barboxes:confused:

Some say it's new clothes and polished balls:rolleyes:

You know snooker , how do these tables compare?

I believe the Chinese Tables have the Gaff Snooker table Pockets? Not the "pro" cut snooker pockets?

Snooker tv tables are playing at their softest...new cloth and heated slate...
..playing on the same tables in a club with 6 month old cloth and no heat...
...I feel the 100s they run would be reduced greatly.

The Chinese 8-ball table has a much more generous slate fall...especially the side pockets..
...but down the rails on broken in cloth is brutal...and remember, it’s a 2,25 ball that has
to get inside those jaws...not the smaller snooker ball.

I think it would be interesting to play one-pocket on the Chinese table...but on pool cloth.
...the heavier directional nap cloth would make many of the traditional one-hole shots
impossible...slow spin doesn’t stay on the cue ball long enough.