anyone know the "yo yo " drill?

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Johan doesn't get angry at me for giving out some of his golden knowledge that turns top players into champions :grin-square:

View attachment 530595

That's the initial setup. Two object balls are frozen against that diamond. Cue ball is in hand to start with, and you can make it little harder for yourself placing it closer to the headstring (or even behind it), or, vice versa, closer to the balls. The only thing is you shouldn't cross the dashed line on initial placement.

You start with any of those balls, left or right corner, doesn't matter. The goal is playing position on the other object ball. And you do it only by bringing the cue ball back - with a shot which is kind of a stun - to the darkened ara of the table, crossing the dashed line. The best way to achieve this is driving the cue ball to hit the rail between the side pocket and the first diamond to it.

After you make a ball you spot another one at the same place.

Basically this drill is a series of crossovers, rail and out for position, same stun shot every time.

[ If you fall too close to the rail you cannot stun the cue ball any longer, so that way your next shot is tougher because you must go back to the head rail and out with a deep draw.
If you fall too far from the rail you cannot hold the cue ball travel and might end up with another tough shot, so any significant error builds up pretty rapidly ]

I recall Fedor Gorst made something like 24 or 28 once. And the record holder, as per Johan on his FB page I think, must be Sky Woodward with 35 or 36, something like that. Those are balls pocketed in a row without a miss and with following the requirement - crossing the dashed line on every shot. How sick is that!

Pretty sick!

I’d be happy getting out of the single digits. I might try some later, but hesitate a little as drills tend to get stuck in my head and I spend too much time on them....

Td

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
That sounds like a variation of Bert Kinnister's 6 pointed star drill. He builds it in sections, one being similar to this but with a ball on each of the second diamonds.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Johan doesn't get angry at me for giving out some of his golden knowledge that turns top players into champions :grin-square:
well now that this cat is out of the bag, do you have more of these drills that Johan uses to turn top players into champions? #daretoask :grin:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 530595

That's the initial setup. Two object balls are frozen against that diamond. Cue ball is in hand to start with, and you can make it little harder for yourself placing it closer to the headstring (or even behind it), or, vice versa, closer to the balls. The only thing is you shouldn't cross the dashed line on initial placement.

You start with any of those balls, left or right corner, doesn't matter. The goal is playing position on the other object ball. And you do it only by bringing the cue ball back - with a shot which is kind of a stun - to the darkened ara of the table, crossing the dashed line. The best way to achieve this is driving the cue ball to hit the rail between the side pocket and the first diamond to it.

After you make a ball you spot another one at the same place.

Basically this drill is a series of crossovers, rail and out for position, same stun shot every time.

[ If you fall too close to the rail you cannot stun the cue ball any longer, so that way your next shot is tougher because you must go back to the head rail and out with a deep draw.
If you fall too far from the rail you cannot hold the cue ball travel and might end up with another tough shot, so any significant error builds up pretty rapidly ]

I recall Fedor Gorst made something like 24 or 28 once. And the record holder, as per Johan on his FB page I think, must be Sky Woodward with 35 or 36, something like that. Those are balls pocketed in a row without a miss and with following the requirement - crossing the dashed line on every shot. How sick is that!
Do you shoot two balls and then start again with BIH? I'm a little lost here. If you have to bring it back into that dark area how will you ever have shape on second ball? I can see playing position on the second ball but not if you have to get back above the side pockets. Any video of someone shooting this? Where/how do you hit cueball to do this?

Last edited:

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you shoot two balls and then start again with BIH? I'm a little lost here. If you have to bring it back into that dark area how will you ever have shape on second ball? I can see playing position on the second ball but not if you have to get back above the side pockets. Any video of someone shooting this? Where/how do you hit cueball to do this?

you shoot one, play position inside the dark area for the other, shoot the other and play position again for the first one (which you put back of course), rinse and repeat until you miss or die of old age.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you shoot one, play position inside the dark area for the other, shoot the other and play position again for the first one (which you put back of course), rinse and repeat until you miss or die of old age.
You have to come back above the side pockets on each shot?? Somebody did this 30 times? I'd have to see it done.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
well now that this cat is out of the bag, do you have more of these drills that Johan uses to turn top players into champions?
I sure do :smile-square: But I encourage everyone to attend any of the bootcamps he might be running in future, because working with him in person will have much mor impact on your game.

Seriously, many of those drills he was offering could be seen at the Billiard Brothers youtube channel. Hope they come up with some new ones soon.

You have to come back above the side pockets on each shot?? Somebody did this 30 times? I'd have to see it done.
Yes, you should cross the dashed line and bring the cue ball to the darkened area on every shot.
Apparently when speaking of results I mixed this drill with the spot shot in my mind. Meaning Johan was once writing at fb about 38 or something for Sky in regard with spot shot drill. During the live feed from Moscow Jeremy Jones said Ruslan Chinakhov made 94 in Yo Yo. At least he was sure the record is over 80. That's totally insane!!!

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sure do :smile-square: But I encourage everyone to attend any of the bootcamps he might be running in future, because working with him in person will have much mor impact on your game.

Seriously, many of those drills he was offering could be seen at the Billiard Brothers youtube channel. Hope they come up with some new ones soon.

Yes, you should cross the dashed line and bring the cue ball to the darkened area on every shot.
Apparently when speaking of results I mixed this drill with the spot shot in my mind. Meaning Johan was once writing at fb about 38 or something for Sky in regard with spot shot drill. During the live feed from Moscow Jeremy Jones said Ruslan Chinakhov made 94 in Yo Yo. At least he was sure the record is over 80. That's totally insane!!!
Wow. Tried it today. It is TUFF. I made 4 and felt good about that. Will be doing this a lot now. A real tester. 80 or 90 is just INSANE.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

thanks for pointing me in that direction! I'm gonna look into that.

I tried the yoyo yesterday, I got to 8. It's real tough!