Old
  (#31)
thenuke
AzB Silver Member

thenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond reputethenuke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Thumbs up 12-28-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
Ralf Souquet doesnít like to gamble. He has played for $ only a couple times and said ďI didnít like how it made me feelĒ he was playing for $5 he also said. He told me this a couple times over the years, heís a good friend and I respect him for his beliefs.

Gambling on pool isnít for everyone. Ralf who is among the greatest of all time is living proof.

For me itís the only reason to play pool.

2 people, 2 opinions, 2 different skill levels. Same game.

That I think says it all. Itís not necessary for some and is mandatory for others. Thereís no right or wrong answer. And I donít judge.

But all due respect to Ralf if I played 20% as good as he does Iíd be in action until my fingers fell off.

Best
Fatboy
Eric, I agree with every word you said. Put me in your camp, I just about have to be playing for something, if I am not practicing.

Tournaments, I really like to play in. You lose there, you have to go home.

yes and no
Old
  (#32)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

yes and no - 12-29-2019, 03:14 AM

For the first six months I played and bet on pool I gambled nightly. After that I was wagering and I didn't sweat it very much. I knew I was going to win a lot more than I lost. For the next ten years it was a very rare night that I wasn't on a pool table with money being passed back and forth.

I genuinely loved making the balls do what I wanted them to, still do. I can hit balls by myself for hours and be content. I can play with other people likewise. I had three levels of pool, dates friends and family, local small timers, and road players. With dates, friends, and family, I banged balls around. No reason to crush them. With local hustlers I was going to win more than I lost but if I let the ponies run I would soon run out of people to play. Road players, I could let the ponies run and have real fun. After the opening dance, no game playing. We both put everything on the table we could and the devil take the hindmost!

Playing road players was the most fun I had in pool. As for gambling, I would bet anything the other player wanted to put on the table. It could be argued that I was gambling playing road players but then again I was so far ahead lifetime playing pool that I could never get in the red again. With that attitude I rarely felt anything resembling pressure.

Fast forward after a twenty year break in pool. Neither the time or desire to focus on pool like I once did. I had hoped to get back 85% of my game at which point I was going to start betting again. Never got to 85% so I never started betting.

I don't believe betting helped my game at all, probably hurt it because I spent so much time putting forth less than my best effort. Perhaps if I had bet thousands at a time things would have been different but because I genuinely enjoyed playing I was very content to grind for fairly low bucks. Zero risk and looking over an evening's effort I generally made twice as much an hour or more than I made at my day job so life was good. A couple times I was out of work for months and had to make my living playing pool. I did, paid my mortgages on two properties and lived just the same as always, but it wasn't fun when pool was a business.

Hu

Old
  (#33)
Mick
AzB Silver Member
Mick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
I hate the word Gamble it implies your taking a chance. To me that is foolish, as skill wins over luck most of the time.
You sound like my ex-wife. We were just starting out, and I was making grocery money playing pool after losing my job. I was up about $800ish on the month and feeling pretty good about it, but had a bad day at -$200. When I got home, I shit you not, she said in all earnestness, "You lost? Why don't you just play on days that you're going to win?".

If you're waiting for lockup situations you're not going to get much action. Most of that money came from guys I'd play month in and month out. If they weren't coming out ahead on a fair basis, that would have dried up in a hurry.

Old
  (#34)
Gunn_Slinger
AzB Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 68

12-29-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPoland View Post
Great question. Improving in pool requires playing better players so that you can see what is possible and playing with stakes so that you can care enough to improve. Practice with purpose builds skills but without serious (SERIOUS) competition youíre just banging balls. You donít need to gamble a full paycheck but you must gamble a dollar, a drink, $5, $10, $20, etc...whatever amount you can easily afford to lose (donít be an addict) but make winning matter. Only then will you buckle down, pay attention, and seriously improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've gambled all my life since the 60' .The idea that 'you have to play better players to get better' is a myth started by 'better players' !
Playing better players all you learn is how to lose !
WATCH better players is the way to learn !
If I play someone I can beat, I will show him nothing. I'll stall and try to keep him as a customer !
Two good players playing each other can't stall usually. You get to see their best games ! Thats where you learn ! Then go see if what you see can help your game.
Why lose money to someone you can't beat who you will learn nothing from !!!!

Old
  (#35)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-29-2019, 05:08 AM

Gambling is a vice that hurts most people

just yesterday Kicken Chicken gave me 3 to 1 on the money his $300 to my $100
On a Oklahoma football bet

Next thing you know he wanted to get paid

my wife had to send the money viia paypal

I got a lecture about gambling

she said "you never win when you gamble,stick to pool

When she is right,she is right

Pool is not so much gambling as it is getting the best of it

betting when you have a big probability of winning

If you don't understand this one thing,you are in for trouble

Last edited by deanoc; 12-29-2019 at 05:10 AM.

Old
  (#36)
jalapus logan
pool shooter
jalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond reputejalapus logan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

12-29-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
I always prefer to play for something if the match is fair.
Good luck finding one of those. Many players are lock artists and would prefer to steal. I'd rather take my money to the racetrack personally. Having said that, I do love a good ring game...with the right mix of people, I like the energy around the table and yes, one can win some cash....or lose I guess lol.

Old
  (#37)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member

JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Gambling is a vice that hurts most people

just yesterday Kicken Chicken gave me 3 to 1 on the money his $300 to my $100
On a Oklahoma football bet

Next thing you know he wanted to get paid

my wife had to send the money viia paypal

I got a lecture about gambling

she said "you never win when you gamble,stick to pool

When she is right,she is right

Pool is not so much gambling as it is getting the best of it

betting when you have a big probability of winning

If you don't understand this one thing,you are in for trouble
Mmhmm. Itís why we should ban all Sports from the action room. This be a pool forum and if we cut out the easy temptation of football leaks, maybe more pool action will start taking place. Save your money to spend on pool people!

Old
  (#38)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2019, 10:40 AM

I gambled when I was younger and loved it.

Now....I play at the same bar against the same people. I play 2 tournaments a week and win more times than not. Not trying to humble brag but I'm just better than the people at that bar. I know these people and what they do for a living and I just don't want to take their money.

With that said, I really don't have a desire to go to another bar and play for money either and I don't play any other night other than the tournament nights even though I go in there 2 more nights a week. I just ghost at the house....and I use a house cue.

Old
  (#39)
Sealegs50
AzB Silver Member
Sealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2019, 10:49 AM

I'll play anybody for table time or for whatever amount I am willing to pay to enter a tournament. I don't consider either of those situations to be gambling.

Old
  (#40)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

12-29-2019, 10:54 AM

If someone wants to play it can be for fun or a small bet.
I just like to play.
And like others I'm done with tournaments.
Way too time consuming.
I played in a large tournament (59 players) years ago and played and won my first match.
I then got a bye and had to wait 3 boring hours to play again.

Another time I played in a smaller tournament with a $20 entry.
I came in 3rd after 11 hours and won $85.00.
After deducting the $20 entry and eating I came out about $55.00 ahead.
The only tournament that I played in that I enjoyed was a 9 person round robin 9 ball.
I won that one and got $100.00. It took about 4 hours.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow-still in testing
Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#41)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteoak View Post
I wanted to ask a question that may get me laughed out of here but ... Do any of the knowledgable folks here play tournaments and play recreationally but aren't gamblers? Its not a loaded question,judgemental, or troll post but just curious.A cue maker once told me that pool is a gamblers game and if you weren't a gambler you were in the wrong sport. Any thoughts on it? Thanks In Advance,Mike
Personally I enjoyed playing for stakes. I had friends that shot really well that didnít play for money. We still had fun competing. I respect anyone that tells me they donít gamble. If however I find them playing my wife for $5 later, I will say; ďOh you donít gamble but you will steal!Ē

Gambling is not an accurate term to use for playing for money. There was a court case in Washington state that involved non payment after a match. I heard that Harry Platis litigated the case and won on the part of the unpaid player. The judge determined that it was a contest of skill and not gambling. The debt for the bet between the two on the side was not collected because that was gambling.

Old
  (#42)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

12-30-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I wanted to ask a question that may get me laughed out of here but ... Do any of the knowledgable folks here play tournaments and play recreationally but aren't gamblers? Its not a loaded question,judgemental, or troll post but just curious.A cue maker once told me that pool is a gamblers game and if you weren't a gambler you were in the wrong sport. Any thoughts on it? Thanks In Advance,Mike
There is a lot of gambling in pool. Golf too. Even in cornhole, darts and tennis, money trades hands. That doesn't make any of them better or worse sports. It's just part of a culture of competition you can choose to, or not to, participate in.

You don't have to gamble to get better, and gambling itself won't make you better. What will is getting yourself under pressure to win. For some, they only get that feeling when there is money involved. Some people get a bigger rush from a tournament or playing a rival team in their league. Playing under that kind of pressure and getting used to it will make you the better player.

I gamble mostly with people I know because there is less arguing than with randoms. We all know each other's games so there's few surprises. I also play for free or for drinks too. I don't need to wager to make it interesting. The pressure is in taking pride in what I'm doing and performing well.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#43)
gardencat
AzB Bronze Member
gardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond reputegardencat has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2020, 09:40 AM

I never play for money, but if someone beats me I'll be happy to let them buy me lunch. Or a cup of coffee. But, watch out cause I play at a very low level.

Old
  (#44)
us820
AzB Silver Member
us820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I am known locally as a non gambler.There are plenty of people like me to play with who don’t care for gambling either.
I have gambled in the past and won many times.When I win I feel nothing and when I lose I feel like a dope wasting hard earned money.I get absolutely nothing from it over just playing for play.

I do agree that you need pressure to build your game though.Leagues and tourneys can provide enough if you hate to lose enough.

Last edited by us820; 01-01-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added content

Old
  (#45)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-01-2020, 11:19 AM

currently i am not gambling on pool

i also quit going to the pool room
two reasons

i don't want to be tempted to gamble again
i don't play if i am not gambling

i do bat them around on my table at home
i play a few racks here a few there but it is
meaningless

sure if jack comes over we hit balls,he his a few
and i remember the old days