Custom Recommendations

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure this is the proper place to post a question about recommendations for custom cues or not.

I am currently looking to either buy or have a custom cue made. I currently play with a Schon with a Mezz WX700 and it doesn't quite give me the feel I like in a cue (My favorite cue I've ever hit with was a solid maple stick wood to wood, was nice and firm hit with lots of feedback). I hit with a local guy's Diveney and really like how it feels as well. Some names I was considering were:

Diveney
Sugartree
Shurtz
Tascarella
Scruggs

I was considering either going with one of these or upgrading to a carbon fiber shaft. Any other recommendations or contact info for any of the listed would be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited:

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
My two favorite hitting cues are my Sugartree and my Lambros. They very differently.

my sugartree has a very sharp, stiff, crisp hit. Funny as that is, that is the only way I can describe it. Moves the cue ball around easily. I find I can over hit with it if I am not careful. very easy for me to stun the cue ball even at 7 feet. 12.5mm, short hard ferrule, and shorter taper.

the Lambros has a very different hit, a smooth neutral controlled hit. it isn't soft but it isn't hard. Moves the cue ball well, and English is very easily applied. I don't over hit on this cue nearly as much. 12.5mm, short ferrule, and a long taper. Picked it up last week, and I am going to trying it out as a my new main. placed second in a small bca league tournament this past weekend. I am one of the lower handicaps so it was a fairly big accomplishment for me to get the finals. The lambros seems to compliment my stroke well.

I just sold my Scruggs to a friend the other weekend. it had a great hit, very much the distinctive hit Scruggs are known for. I find I prefer the big pin cues lately now, instead of the steal pins.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure this is the proper place to post a question about recommendations for custom cues or not.

I am currently looking to either buy or have a custom cue made. I currently play with a Schon with a Mezz WX700 and it doesn't quite give me the feel I like in a cue (My favorite cue I've ever hit with was a solid maple stick wood to wood, was nice and firm hit with lots of feedback). I hit with a local guy's Diveney and really like how it feels as well. Some names I was considering were:

Diveney
Sugartree
Shurtz
Tascarella
Scruggs

I was considering either going with one of these or upgrading to a carbon fiber shaft. Any other recommendations or contact info for any of the listed would be helpful.

Thanks.
If steel-joint is your thing look at Garten Bierbower in Ohio. A true old-school master builder.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you plan on changing shafts, you should do that first as that will change the hit of your current cue. I have a wx700 shaft now and I love it, except that I've cracked 2 ferrule now. I may change the material to LBM which will firm the hit up a bit more.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can locate a Scruggs you like, that is the cue to acquire.
If not, then get a Tascarella cue or else a Bob Owen cue (Shurtz).

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Got a chance to hit with a SugarTree last night and I was disappointed, I still like the hit of the Diveney better. I'll get a chance to hit with a Scruggs tomorrow. Any others I should be on the lookout for?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Big names demand large prices, can you run a rack in 9 ball? IMHO there are many great Cue makers like Bob Owen, Chad Carter, and many many more who give toy a lot of bang for buck.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Got a chance to hit with a SugarTree last night and I was disappointed, I still like the hit of the Diveney better. I'll get a chance to hit with a Scruggs tomorrow. Any others I should be on the lookout for?

A half-joint Searing.
A bubinga Hagan cue.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you heard of Jackpot cue’s?

Excellent playing cue, if I must say so.

I've got a closet full of cues, custom and production, but one of the two cues I'll take to Hawaiian Brian's tomorrow is the Jackpot. The other is my Becue.

Like I've always said on here, "I don't care who made a cue, what it looks like, or how much it costs...I only care about how well they play."

I hit some with my Dr. friend's Joey cue and my other friend's Bluegrass a couple weeks back and I'll take the Jackpot over them any day of the week, as far as MY like for "hit" and "playability" is concerned.

To each, their own.

Not everybody is going to like everything.

Last edited:

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
You cant go wrong with a Diveney! Pat is awesome to work with and his cues just flat out play! Ive owned and played with just about everything and i keep going back to diveney!

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big names demand large prices, can you run a rack in 9 ball? IMHO there are many great Cue makers like Bob Owen, Chad Carter, and many many more who give toy a lot of bang for buck.

I cannot run a rack consistently. For reference in APA 9 ball I'm a 6.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cant go wrong with a Diveney! Pat is awesome to work with and his cues just flat out play! Ive owned and played with just about everything and i keep going back to diveney!

You CAN GO WRONG with ANY cue made by ANY maker if you DIDN'T try the cue before you bought it.

No cue maker makes a cue that everyone likes. Even if you like one cue from a particular maker, another identical cue from the same maker may feel completely different. I KNOW. I have witnessed this when I've bought cues from HOF makers.

If you find a cue that you like, stay with that cue, or have something made that MOST replicates the one you like. Don't go changing weight, tapers, woods, etc., unless you have the money to "experiment" and then pay to change what you don't like.

If you can find a pro shop that has cues in stock that will let you try them, I'd do that before I spent a ton of money.

Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You CAN GO WRONG with ANY cue made by ANY maker if you DIDN'T try the cue before you bought it.

No cue maker makes a cue that everyone likes. Even if you like one cue from a particular maker, another identical cue from the same maker may feel completely different. I KNOW. I have witnessed this when I've bought cues from HOF makers.

If you find a cue that you like, stay with that cue, or have something make that MOST replicates the one you like. Don't go changing weight, tapers, woods, etc., unless you have the money to "experiment" and then pay to change what you don't like.

If you can find a pro shop that has cues in stock that will let you try them, I'd do that before I spent a ton of money.

Right I'm feeling people's cues locally in hopes of finding one to maybe buy.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Right I'm feeling people's cues locally in hopes of finding one to maybe buy.

We have a place in Phoenix that sell Cues, I tell folk to go there, tell them you budget, and they will left you try before you buy.

Ask around where you live if their is any place like that. Honestly a Good Quality Tips migh make your old Cue wonderful.

If all else fails you can not go wrong with a McDermott, Lucasi, or Schon. Personally I would lean toward the "M" or "S" brand.

The thing about the McDermotts is they are a good value for the buck.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a place in Phoenix that sell Cues, I tell folk to go there, tell them you budget, and they will left you try before you buy.

Ask around where you live if their is any place like that. Honestly a Good Quality Tips migh make your old Cue wonderful.

If all else fails you can not go wrong with a McDermott, Lucasi, or Schon. Personally I would lean toward the "M" or "S" brand.

And they carry lots of custom stuff? Phoenix isn't far from here. I currently use a Schon.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One of MY best hitting cues is a McDermott C-14 that I bought new in 1985 for 50% off when the D models came out. I've been offered six or seven times what I paid for it on quite a few occasions. I turned down $1500 just a while back, after a guy only hit a dozen, or so, shots with it.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you find a cue that you like, stay with that cue, or have something made that MOST replicates the one you like. Don't go changing weight, tapers, woods, etc., unless you have the money to "experiment" and then pay to change what you don't like.

So the answer really is: Try out as many "for sale" cues as you can and decide on those. Every cue plays different even from the same builder and same species of wood and design. Cue builders can't control every single thing. Even wood from the same tree can play different.

If you know the exact specs you want, and I mean exact, a builder can get you close enough that you can make minute changes to make it a supurb combination.

Treadway Cues would be my choice if I played pool and didn't have confidence in the builders you named. Diveny? I've never heard anything negative about him. Only positive comments. Sounds like your near him. That's a great advantage.