ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
*******************UPDATE*******************
Thanks to Will Prout for speaking with Dan Janes about this
Cue returned to Joss on December 28, 2013
New cue received on August 8, 2014 pics here

Josh,

The cue looks great, exactly as you described. I really like the veneers and the diamonds, and especially like the logo. I am sure it hits a ton, as John Wright used to say, and I am also confident you will enjoy this cue with pride for years to come.

If you ever get to Kansas City, we'll play some. I would like to shoot a rack with your cue!

Will Prout

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Josh,
That is a great looking cue, and really reminds me of a time when Joss wasn't doing those round point inlays. I mean that looks really clean.

Actually I wish they could do more of this style, this clean.... No disrespect intended I hope Joss really take note of the new pool community and see this as learning tool for future work.

In my opinion cues on the production level are going to start getting serious competition from abroad and we better start paying attention.

Again, Dan nailed it...

JV

vinnister

Registered
if i'd pay 1800 dollars or 1300ish euros for a cue and it has that quality i'd be pissed and that cue would be back to the maker alongside myself quicker than it got to me, how can anyone deliver such a cue for that amount of money? im stunned

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Just read this entire thread, kudos to Will Prout for intervening on Josh's behalf, kudos to Dan Janes & Joss Cues for making it right and Kudos to Josh the OP for maintaining his calm throughout this. The replacement is very nice work and something Dan can be proud to have his name on & Josh can be proud to own & play with. I love it when people do the right thing.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josh -

Hope you take some more (and better pics).

I am glad it worked out for you.

Best of rolls,

Ken

tomker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm shopping for a cue and just started researching Joss and landed on this thread. It has almost put me off Joss. I'm glad the situation was sorted out in the end for the OP, but it's laughable that it required a personal friend of Dan Janes's to get that accomplished. This story, and the others shared on this thread, do not instill confidence in the brand.

If you go to Joss's web site, their unique value proposition is obvious: if you buy a Joss cue, you're getting something that's handmade by Dan Janes, an award winning craftsman with many decades of experience. Of course I don't think that's really true for one of their $300 production cues but that's what they're selling: a personality.

And if that personality turns out to be a tool on the phone to a top-tier customer, and a tool in person to somebody who had his wallet stolen, do you really want your cue to be associated with him?

I've been providing customer service for my own products for the last 8 years. I've gotten some crazy emails from customers. Page-long all-caps diatribes that are half profanity. But not once have I ever responded with a single rude word. So I don't want to hear any excuses for this situation about how we all have bad days sometimes or we can't always be in a good mood. Sometimes you have to be professional even when you don't want to be, because it's your job.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Janes still works in the shop every day. Hands on.

It is still a small business, not a big factory. I don't see people bashing Predator and other such cues because of their output and they are by far manufacturing giants compared to JOSS.

Sad to see this controversy, I am glad it got settled.

My belief is that Mr. Janes and JOSS cues earned an excellent reputation and do continue to maintain it.

Far beyond a "mass producer" of cues JOSS has been an innovator in the field and always a leader since the early days when many road players were using JOSS cues.

Has anybody seen the blog? You can look inside the cues and Dan shows the evolution of design and construction with pictures and descriptions. It is really cool. Eye candy too if you dig cue construction stuff and more.

https://josscues.com/blog/

I discussed a conversion cue with him some time ago and am most likely going to proceed.

Yes, I take the story of the OP seriously. I do not wish to say I diminish the distress it caused. But at the same time I do not think it redefines the reputation of Mr. Janes or JOSS cues.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Turned out very nice after all. I think you handled this like a gentleman overall...I respect that. Enjoy your beautiful cue!

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some real gems of threads on here, an oldie, but makes me think.

Surprised by some of the prominent people in the cue world thinking that the first cue was worth 1800$.
I'd have been disappointed too personally, maybe my expectations are too high.

Nice of Dan to rectified the OP's complaints, 2nd cue came out lovely.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan Janes did not become a talented cue-maker just to risk his reputation over a single cue.
He made his customer happy which is the hallmark of a great person, let alone a cue-maker.
I think owning a hand made Joss cue made with an old school design would be a absolute treat.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why are we adiscussing a 7 year old cue thread
surely it has been resolved by now

is Danny still making cues? i am not up to date on what is happening like I used to be

Last edited: