New shaft from OB

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t believe there’s any resin infusing that’s going on. My understanding is it’s heated and moisturized then heated again to a higher temp essentially destroying cell structure so it can no longer absorb moisture. Not 100% sure on that but I just made 2 roasted shafts and I didn’t notice any resin or anything different from cutting a normal maple shaft

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Your very first sentence gives evidence of your dislike of OB products. So everything after that is suspect.

I would ask you to try one before you can make such a statement. Provide some evidence please. Why would a guitar manufacturer use this process if it ruined the integrity of the neck? Remember.... a guitar when strung has a lot of force. And the necks are not warping.

I do believe they are solid maple. No pie peices. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And I'm not sure whatever you meant by the $500 price tag. Referring to Carbon fiber shafts?

i withhold judgement until I try one... as should anyone.

No dislike at all, ive owned both a full cue and shafts for other cues. The full cue gave me the biggest headache when i sold it to some crazy schizo from canada though. I hated the first shafts with the wood ferrule, the second gen with thr white ferrule were fine shafts. My point is theyre just trying to do extra shit to have a selling point instead of buildimg a shaft people will tell their friends about.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No dislike at all, ive owned both a full cue and shafts for other cues. The full cue gave me the biggest headache when i sold it to some crazy schizo from canada though. I hated the first shafts with the wood ferrule, the second gen with thr white ferrule were fine shafts. My point is theyre just trying to do extra shit to have a selling point instead of buildimg a shaft people will tell their friends about.

Maybe they just did. I have seen no evidence to the contrary as of yet. And I ask you to back up your statement that it's just a selling point. You could be very wrong. Neither of us has any idea yet. Here's an idea. Try one and I'll listen. I will withhold judgement until I try one, or hear reliable, unbiased reviews here on AZ.

As an afterthought, I have the wood ferrule shaft. Have you tried it with a hard tip? It really woke mine up in the feel and sound department! Didnt like the Everest it came with. Played with it for 2 months and changed it.

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the MSRP was $250 for the Phoenix. The $500 he was referring to has to be the Carbon shafts from others.

Aren’t kielwood and java shafts like $300+? I understand people wanting to use wood over carbon fiber. But for just over $100 more you can get a shaft that’s basically impervious to everything. Well, anything you’d put a normal cue through. I just know that it hurt pretty badly when I put a dent in my cherry Vantage shaft. I can say whole heartedly my Revo was worth every dollar.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Mark Griffin on the move. New shaft out from OB called Phoenix. It is a standard all wood shaft that is "Torrified".

Definition from Sweetwater.com...

"Osmosis resistant. Torrified (also spelled “torrefied”) wood neither swells up during humid summer months nor dries out due to dry winter air. Torrified wood will not shrink, warp, expand, or contract due to changing weather or humidity levels.

Torrified wood has been heat treated or roasted until it has nearly 0% internal moisture. The wood will not reabsorb moisture because its structure has been altered as a result of the heating process. This is not a chemical process, and it affects the wood all the way through, to its core. The wood can be sanded, shaped, cut, or otherwise processed — or even scratched or dented — without losing the effects of the treatment. The heat treatment can also enhance the visual appeal of the wood.

Several guitar manufacturers have begun using torrified maple necks on their instruments"

I wonder if this process affects the feel or sound of the hit? Website says it does change the sound. I'm not looking to get a carbon fiber anytime soon, but this sounds interesting to me, and those that prefer the qualities of wood.

It's called Kiel wood. They have been around for a while. I have one made by Diveney. Prather sells the blanks. I also had one made from one of those. I did not like the way it turned out. I am still using the Diveney one.

I first heard about it as being what Justin Bergman was using. It is significantly lighter than standard wood shafts. Very good low deflection properties. Mine has a 3/8s ferrule. It makes the wood very dense feeling. It takes a polish better than any normal wood shaft. You can swell out dents like a regular shaft except the effect is much reduced. I don't think you could get out any big dents but I have taken out a couple of small ones.

It hits like a regular wood shaft. The stiffness appears to be comparable. There are certain to be some at the expo. That is where I bought mine. Diveney had a table in his booth so I got to hit with it before I bought it. I will probably buy another one this year. Diveney and Prather will most likely be there.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aren’t kielwood and java shafts like $300+? I understand people wanting to use wood over carbon fiber. But for just over $100 more you can get a shaft that’s basically impervious to everything. Well, anything you’d put a normal cue through. I just know that it hurt pretty badly when I put a dent in my cherry Vantage shaft. I can say whole heartedly my Revo was worth every dollar.

I just checked the OB website. They are $250, and will start to ship Feb 28th.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Maybe they just did. I have seen no evidence to the contrary as of yet. And I ask you to back up your statement that it's just a selling point. You could be very wrong. Neither of us has any idea yet. Here's an idea. Try one and I'll listen. I will withhold judgement until I try one, or hear reliable, unbiased reviews here on AZ.

As an afterthought, I have the wood ferrule shaft. Have you tried it with a hard tip? It really woke mine up in the feel and sound department! Didnt like the Everest it came with. Played with it for 2 months and changed it.

maybe they just created a shaft that will make even you shoot straight, as the OB cue and shaft youre using now isn't quite enough and you have a non biased opinion on the subject. theyre trying to reinvent the wheel, by telling you that their wheel is the latest and greatest, if they were good they wouldn't have gone out of business. relax guy. I have proof, THEY SHUT THEIR DOORS, PEOPLE STOPPED BUYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe they just created a shaft that will make even you shoot straight, as the OB cue and shaft youre using now isn't quite enough and you have a non biased opinion on the subject. theyre trying to reinvent the wheel, by telling you that their wheel is the latest and greatest, if they were good they wouldn't have gone out of business. relax guy. I have proof, THEY SHUT THEIR DOORS, PEOPLE STOPPED BUYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want the truth, I AM shooting better with the OB. The Predator is in semi retirement. Haven't gotten it out of the case in over a month.

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard Hsu makes kielwood shafts starting at $350 and has been playing with one for about two years, maybe bit less. He says it's for wood lovers who want natural low deflection. I have a cue coming that will have a Revo and a Kielwood. I'll see which I prefer but don't think I'm good enough to trust on a review. Del Sim wrote reviews of Richard's shaft and the new OB Phoenix recently. He loves both.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds similar to a process wood turners use to turn very fragile materials.

It also sounds like the structure of the wood is changed to the extent that it is no longer natural wood. The resin is the important material and the wood is replacing the carbon fiber in carbon fiber shafts. Seems that this is a way to get synthetic shafts into the hands of people that have an aversion to synthetic shafts.

The question is how does the structure of this highly processed wood compare to the structure of the carbon fiber shafts? Some people are going to have to pay to find out.

Hu

......whats up Hu?

Last edited:

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been hitting with an OB Phoenix 12.8mm shaft for a few weeks. Was using the Predator3 before. Nothing but good things to say about the Phoenix. The squirt/deflection seems to be at least equal or less than the Predator 3, so it has been an easy transition. The hit is very solid, with a nice crisp feel. Don’t know if OB uses epoxy or some other material, but was told by them that they do impregnate the shaft with some secret ingredient as part of the torrification process. I like the look of the darker wood - has a nice darker wood grain look. Haven’t had to repair any dings yet, but don’t think it will ding as easily as a regular maple shaft. All in all, very happy with it so far and have ordered another one.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
OB Phoenix 3

Mine just arrived this morning. Build quality looks top notch. Can't wait to try it out.

OB Phoenix 3
11.8mm, Uniloc QR joint
3.4 oz

20200807_104435_resize_95.jpg

Sometimes

Mark Griffin on the move. New shaft out from OB called Phoenix. It is a standard all wood shaft that is "Torrified".

"Osmosis resistant. Torrified (also spelled “torrefied”) wood neither swells up during humid summer months nor dries out due to dry winter air. Torrified wood will not shrink, warp, expand, or contract due to changing weather or humidity levels.

Torrified wood has been heat treated or roasted until it has nearly 0% internal moisture. The wood will not reabsorb moisture because its structure has been altered as a result of the heating process. This is not a chemical process, and it affects the wood all the way through, to its core. The wood can be sanded, shaped, cut, or otherwise processed — or even scratched or dented — without losing the effects of the treatment. The heat treatment can also enhance the visual appeal of the wood.

Several guitar manufacturers have begun using torrified maple necks on their instruments"

I wonder if this process affects the feel or sound of the hit? Website says it does change the sound. I'm not looking to get a carbon fiber anytime soon, but this sounds interesting to me, and those that prefer the qualities of wood.
I have a Kielwood shaft that I sometimes use.

I have a Kielwood shaft which is the same thing. I plays wonderfully. I like that the process makes the wood darker. It looks an old house cue. I use a plain Jane butt section. I like it better than my carbon fibre shaft.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was an OB user for years. Loved their shafts. After my last round of customer service with them, I decided to go another direction. Horrible experience. I still use the OB butt for my cue, but when that goes, it's over between us.